“Mixed feelings”
Review of Gopi Guest House

Gopi Guest House
Ranked #4 of 44 Hampi B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We got to Hampi after an endless train ride, so quite naturally we wanted to check in at Gopi asap (I had booked & paid for the room in advance). We were asked to wait a bit - turns our 'a bit' means an hour (FYI, it was around 5pm). Once we were finally taken to our "deluxe" room, it turned out to be filthy, dodgy and with leakage in the bathroom.
We refused to stay there (and believe me, I really am not a picky tourist - all I need is a clean bathroom and clean sheets).
As always, we had to haggle a bit, we then went to look around for another hotel (even if it meant losing the money I had paid online).
Thankfully, the owner arranged for us to stay in a hotel on the opposite side of the road, which was WAY better.

I would give Gopi a terrible/poor grade for that disgustingly dirty room they wanted to put us in, but I do appreciate that the staff came around and sent us to another hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 17, 2013

Super nice guesthouse in Hampi! I stayed in the 'old block' for 11 nights in a basic room which was very clean, light, big and comfortable with warm shower also. Perfect. The family that runs the guesthouse (and also the attached restaurant by the way), is super nice and hospitable. Always there to help you out or give any advice if you need it. Yeah, I really enjoyed my stay and can highly recommend this place to anyone. Also the rooftop restaurant with a nice view over the temple is so good, I had almost every breakfast, lunch and dinner during my stay there!

Room Tip: There are 2 blocks, the old block which provides basic rooms (I think they are very good and suitabl...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I stayed at Gopi for 3 weeks in Feb. , it's a good family run business , clean rooms , fan , hot water & mossie net , & as a bonus in India , quiet . Also a restaurant on the roof with good views all round . I'll definitely revisit when the time comes .

Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 28, 2013

The food is first class and the staff are very friendly. After a problem elsewhere we were made very welcome and our faith in human nature was restored. The food is excellent as is the service. Wi Fi is a big bonus here.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marion F
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Stayed in Gopi in January 2013 and had an average experience. The bathroom had a horrible hybrid squat/normal toilet and was just gross in general. The room was not very clean either. Upstairs the restaurant was ok but food a bit bland.

Another questionable thing was seeing the owner of Gopi dictating to another traveller a review for trip advisor.

We had friends who stayed in the new building and apparently it was much more hospitable, we had a quick glance and it seemed nice enough.

Location is pretty good though.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the new building
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2013

I stayed in Gopi guest house for 2 nights. It is a great place to stay in Hampi. It has very clean rooms at very reasonable rates. And to add on to your experience it has a roof top restaurant with an amazing view of the Virupaksha temple. The place is lively and all the time thronged by tourists. It serves very good food and almost all cuisines. For me it was a complete package. Used to sleep in my room, relax in the roof top restaurants and all my meals were without a doubt at the roof top restaurant.
And as if this is not enough, Gopi guest house has a very friendly owner named Kiran. He guided me on which all places to visit in Hampi on all three days. In short, made my entire travel plan when I was in Hampi :) If you get a chance - do meet him :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank anubhav26488
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The atmosphere, the food, the rooms and views were wonderful but the best part was the great communication both online and in person by Kiran and his staff. Our only hope for this guest house is that is saved from the governments plans to change Hampi into a high end Agra and loose the charm of the Hampi bazaar and it's residents.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends