“Horrible Place -- Please never stay here”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampi
Shree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort
Ranked #21 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Hampi
bangalore
“Horrible Place -- Please never stay here”
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We went to vists hampi for new years (Dec31-Jan3) and decided to stay at Shree Laxmi Golden Beach resorts (worst decision ever). At the time we were checking in there were a few guest who were checking out, they told us to confirm if the rooms are clean before we check in. Rooms were a bit small for and the toilets were stinking. On the first look the only good thing about the room was Mosquito Nets that were provide. Upon checking in we were told that there is no restaurant when their advertisment clearly says that there is restaurant facility.
The day went by fine we went and visited the places in Hampi (really a must visit). In the evening we ordered food and bought to our room and to our dismay the resort people did not even have plates and glasses for us. At night the room became a play group for all kind of insects, lizards and frogs. We started out new year with cleaning up the room to make it good enough to sleep.
I was really unhappy with the unfriendly, unaccommodative behaviour of the resort owner, dirty and pathetic condition of the resort and rooms.
So all in all everyone should visit hampi once but Please do not ever stay at this resort.
Hope this helps.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank sani21

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bangalore
Reviewed January 4, 2011

Even though Hampi is an awesome destination, this hotel takes out all the fun possible out of your trip. This is the worst hotel/resort whatever you call it that I have stayed in till date. To begin with, even though it is located on an island and the surroundings are nice, it is very difficult to get to this island from the other side as only one boat is operational which is clearly overloaded. Moving on, this place doesnt have any restaurant at all as opposed to what they are trying to showcase. So there is absolutely nothing to eat or drink in the hotel and you have to go out everyday every time, even if you want water; forget tea, coffee, etc. Then, there is absolutely no room service here. Also, the place does not even have forks, spoons etc. So even if you decide to get food from outside, you will not be provided with forks, spoons, plates, etc etc. Then comes the worst nightmare - THE ROOMS ARE INFESTED WITH FROGS, LIZARDS, ETC and all other creatures you can imagine. On a more serious note, my and my friends have spent half our time catching frogs and throwing them out of the room. Finally, the guy who runs this place is a crook.....he is a [--] He quoted a rate and then charged us a different rate, that too without even informing us earlier of the charges. So Bottomline - "VISIT THIS PLACE ONLY IF YOU HATE YOUR LIFE"

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
4 Thank Optimus_Bangalore

Travelers are raving about these Hampi hotels

Summit, New Jersey
Reviewed December 27, 2010

It looks as if this place started out with high hopes and a very nice location, but now, because of neglect and poor management, it is only an overpriced, and run down mess. We had hoped for something nice given the prices and advertising, but only the location met our expectations. Their is no restaurant or swimming pool and the rooms, which were once nice, are dirty and poorly kept. We were quoted a price of Rs 2500 per night, but after staying asked for a 50% discount, which would still have been an overcharge. Simply put....don't stay here!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank WTHAR
Changes
Reviewed August 15, 2010

The room that we initially took turned out to be a mosquito party den – no nets over the windows and the windows didn’t fit flush, leaving nice big gaps for mosquitos to come through. Without exaggeration I killed 50 within half an hour and there were still at least that amount flying around. I gave up and we asked to move to the Rs2000 room, double the price of where we were. That one did have the wire window nets which kept the number of the mosquitoes down.

Before moving room I asked if there was running hot water, apparently there was but after making the change it turned out there wasn’t. “Pipe’s broken, should be ok later”. Later there was still no hot water, I asked for it later on that evening, at a specific hour, and was told that would be no problem. At that hour, no hot water. I asked again and again was told that there would be hot water in 15minutes, after which time there wasn’t. The owners lackey came into the room on a couple of occasions and finally got the hot water going – lasted all of about 20 seconds, filling an inch and a half of a bucket. I went back to reception to let them know that there was no hot water, although that we didn’t require it now anyway. The owners, a couple, basically told me that I was a liar and that there was hot water and that I’d done nothing but complain all afternoon, first wanting to change room and then about the hot water. Quite how moving from a Rs1000 to a Rs2000 room was an inconvenience to them they weren’t able to explain, nor could they offer an explanation of how repeatedly asking for the promised but elusive hot water could be considered a complaint. Their only response was to suggest that if we weren’t happy then we should leave, and that check out was at 09.00 in the morning when they expected us to be out by if we didn’t like it!!!

They demanded to check the hot water and I told them that my wife was now sleeping and I didn’t wish to disturb her, they were insistent that I was lying about the hot water and in the end I went to the room with their lackey, he turned on the hot tap to which a trickle re-emerged that would have taken half an hour to fill a bucket – although apparently that was proof that there was indeed hot water. How do you argue with that? Almost immediately the trickle dried up and not even the lackey could argue that there was any hot water.

I was sufficiently indignant to leave without paying the next morning. That saw the owner send his stocky lackey after us, he stopped any rickshaw driver from taking us, and made clear that we wouldn’t get any other accommodation in Vija. After a while the owner turned up. We were threatened that things would get nasty if we didn’t pay - the Lackey physically got hold or me and prevented me from going anywhere, a right little mafia outfit. It was impossible to have a civilised conversation with the owner, he wouldn’t even let me speak, the same story as the previous evening. The owner dropped his request to Rs1800 in light of the hot water and we decided to pay – what other option was there. On demanding that we go back to the hotel for a receipt the owner abruptly changed his tune and surprisingly offered to settle there and then for the Rs1500 that I’d already offered him. Only thing we can think is that he didn’t want us near the other guests.

Admittedly we shouldn’t have gone off without paying, but constantly lying and then telling guests to like it or lump it, then threatening violence, is no way to run a hotel.

Stay here at your own risk, and don’t expect any recourse for inevitable grievances.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank RoundOak
Somerset
Reviewed April 21, 2010

My friend and I wanted a respite from budget hotels and sleeping on trains so decided to treat ourselves to something more upmarket! We presumed the Shree Laxmi would fit the bill because of the price, which was relatively expensive for India, (2000R nightly room rate or 3000R with a/c, the option we went for) and from the description in a widely used guide book.

Our immediate impression on arrival was of a pleasant enough setting, amidst lush paddy fields and golden boulders but it was all downhill from thereon in. When we were shown to our room, we were so appalled we asked if there was any other alternative. The only other room they claimed was free, was equally bad and without a/c so we stuck with the original option. As it was by now dusk, we had been travelling all day and had booked an all day excursion starting early next morning, we had little choice but to tough it out.

The room was filthy, caked in dirt, festooned with spiders, alive and dead, with a bathroom to match including badly stained walls and fittings, a barely attached loo seat and a hole in the wall behind the shower controls which housed an ants nest. Inspection
of the sheet revealed it to be grubby and dotted with dead midges despite the saggy, dusty mosquito net over the bed. So on our way out that evening, we asked the owner to change the sheet. On our return he proudly announced that he had done this, but the new sheet was 'thinner.' We discovered that what he meant was that a single sheet had been stretched over the double circular bed so that only the top half of the cheap yellow foam 'mattress' was covered at all. We spread out 2 single duvet covers we found to serve as the rest of the sheet.

On our first night we had no hot water, the temperamental loo flush packed up entirely and for most of the time, including the whole of the second night, there was no electricity. Without a/c or even a fan the small room was stifling and airless. I thought even the frog that frequently popped out of the basin plughole may have had enough, so eventually caught and liberated him.

When we complained we were met with total indifference by the owner. He remonstrated, that if we'd wanted hot water we had only to come and ask him! Apparently Hampi Island only gets electricity for 12 hours a day and this varies on some kind of rota basis. However even during the 'on' period there are lengthy failures in supply, and without a back-up generator the a/c was a largely theoretical facility. Even the owner recognised the latter point with some persuasion and agreed to charge us the non a/c room rate, the only price concession we could negotiate. Given the heated exchange of a similar nature I overheard him having with a group of German guests we were obviously not the only dissatisfied customers.

And do not be enticed by the promise of the pool allegedly under construction. Given the cracked tiles and weeds, work on it was abandoned long ago and it has been left to decay with the rest of the hotel.

Would I recommend this hotel to a friend? Only as a rather cruel practical joke, although I must say it is one of my most memorable stays ever!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank rosetheintrepid
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2010

Stayed at Shree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort for two nights. we were quoted 2500 rupees over the phone, when we arrived they couldn't find our telephone reservation and asked how much we were quoted. Realising what we were dealing with my wife said 2000 rupees which they accepted it was clear we were paying too much.
The room was large, air con was Ok although it took some work to get it started. the bath was dirty, the shower had no water, but the handheld shower head did- go figure!
the swimming pool was "not working" clearly it might have worked once but the weeds and cracked tiles and wrecked change rooms showed that it wasn't to be this decade!
we didnt eat here as the kitchen looked dirty, had 2 nice meals at other backpacker hotels in the area -recommend the Mowgli The going rated for simple cabins in the area is 400 -800 rupees- a much better deal. We left and went across river to the coincidentally named Laxmi Heritage in the bazaar area -it was a bargain for 900 rupees very clean and excellent service. It was easier to stay on that side of the river. The Shree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort is badly in need of renovation ans is very overpriced- Hampi is a relatively cheap place to stay

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank rivermanau
Austin, TX
Reviewed February 18, 2010

I should have known it was a bad omen when I was trying to reserve a room on the phone and the manager told me, an Ivy League-educated American, that I didn't speak English. The experience was downhill from there.

We arrived on the overnight train with two small children, so when we were shown the rooms upon arrival, we perhaps didn't pay the attention to cleanliness that we should have. Further inspection revealed floors that were covered in a layer resembling dirt more than dust. As a resident in India, I know that dirt and dust are inevitable parts of life here. They are also easily removed from floors from a quick mop and sweep, which clearly was not done before we checked in. We also assumed that hot water was available at all times, or at least when the power was on. It was not - three hours a day of hot water and dirty floors are far below the standard I would expect from a Rs 2500 room.

Next we learned that the air conditioner, outdated but very much present in the wall of the room, was switched off, and use of it was not included in the price of the room. Significant power outages notwithstanding, use of the air conditioner would cost us an extra Rs 1000 per night. The night was comfortable outside, but with only one window in the room, the air flow was insufficient to keep us or the kids cool, even with the fan running. At around 4am on the one night we stayed, the power went out. Despite the cost of the room, there was no backup generator, and we were sans power until 1pm. Minimal illumination was provided by two bare fluorescent bulbs, one in the main room and the other in the bathroom. These bulbs were powered by a battery that had to be fixed by hotel staff twice in one night.

The bathroom, if anything, was dirtier than the main room. This was likely due to the blocked drain, which left a standing pool of tepid water on the floor for several hours after a shower. (The bathtub, in a shade of pink that contrasted nicely with the brown filth upon it, was too foul to be of use.) At one point, fed up with the dirt on the wet floor, I wiped it with a towel (upon which was a strange green stain, making me unwilling to put it to its intended use). The towel came up black.

Last, but certainly not least, is Mr. Prasad Babu, the manager of the hotel. A man more unsuited to running a hotel I cannot imagine. I've already described the poor condition of the infrastructure and the poor level of cleanliness at his establishment. While the pleasant staff went some way toward making up for these deficiencies, the manager more than cancelled out any positives with his combative and negative nature. In a mere 24 hours between check-in and check-out, I personally witnessed him arguing with no fewer than three guests, one of whom was me. It took a great deal of frustration for me, by nature far from a confrontational person, to call him, to his face, the rudest hotel manager I had ever met. I meant it then, and I think no differently now.

I booked the Sree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort because I thought that, given the price, it would be a small step above the numerous guest houses in Hampi. With two small kids, I was willing to spend substantially more for that increased cleanliness. I intended to stay at the place for 36 hours, allowing my two year old an afternoon nap on day two. After the argument with the manager, I scuppered that plan and checked in to a guest house across the street. For the same price, I might have chosen the guest house. At Rs 400 per night, there is really no decision. Another neighboring guest house manager reported getting 100 people a year who moved to his establishment from the Sree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort, largely on account of the unpleasant manager. I am not surprised. Beyond being the worst value I've ever had in a hotel, it was simply the worst hotel experience I've ever had.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank PRDP-tx
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hampi
Shanthi Guesthouse
Gowri Resort
Gowri Resort
#3 of 43 in Hampi
Hotel Hampi International

Been to Shree Laxmi Golden Beach Resort? Share your experiences!