“Average stay with a non veg restaurant and big NO for toddlers”
Review of Mowgli Guest House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hampi
Mowgli Guest House
Ranked #11 of 44 Hampi B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Mowgli is situated at a very scenic paddy field very next to river. I stayed there for a day with my wife and toddler son. The room was very small and It does not even had enough space for my kid to roam around. Bed was very small. Bathrooms was also ok. I am also a vegetarian, but i eat in places where veg/non-veg sections are separately maintained. Might be good for non-vegetarians, but I did not like the kitchen at all. It was not at all maintained.
They also do not have proper pest control, when we got up in the morning, the room was full of ants, ants were all over our luggage.
I was also travelling with a toddler, so i was very keen on getting a room which has protection from mosquitoes. I clearly mentioned this to the owner of the resort, he suggested me to book the room instead of cottage, he also promised to give to me a mosquito net. But when i reached the resort he refused to give me the net and suggested me to keep the door closed all the time to protect my son from mosquitos.. !!!???? Yes, I was shocked with that suggestion. I also observed that almost all the rooms had mosquito nets except us. I could not understand why it was refused to us. Good that I had some backup plans.
Now comes to getting milk for my son, for 1.5 days they were giving us milk but later they started refusing as having milk in stock to make tea for other guest were much important than feeding a toddler.
Overall a bad place for a family with kids, I am never going to visit this place again.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed November 2, 2013

The view from your veranda and swing bed out front is instantly calming and gorgeous. The rooms are adequately clean, if a little worn, and there's a mosquito net over the bed which helps. Rates are considerably lower if you show up and haggle than online (someone paid slightly more for 3 nights, than what we paid for 1) so if there is availability you might be better off walking in. The restaurant is good, and the staff are friendly. Wifi in the restaurant area is a plus. If we had gotten a better price we could have stayed here for weeks.

Room Tip: The paddy view rooms are worth the expense.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 22, 2013

Stayed at Mowgli for a couple of nights in July. The first thing that comes to my mind is the absolutely stunning view from the cottages with the river and mountain in the background and the lush green paddy fields at the fore. The main person at the restaurant is Viru and he is extremely nice and helpful. The owner does come across kind of arrogant but maybe I just happened to land up on the wrong day. Dont expect anything from the rooms. They are not very well maintained and given the fact that you pay 800 bucks a night for the room, they ought to improve the facilities cause the room rents are almost twice that of any other guesthouses.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The location, environment and pricing of the guesthouse are convincing, although the place is on the other side of the river and one has to cross the river with local ferry to go Hampi and the last ferry back from Hampi leaves at 5.30 PM, so one has to windup before that in order to get back to Guest House. Food is mouth watering, Dining area is having a great view ..

Room Tip: River View Cottages are a better option..
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ankita_Mahajan
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Went to Hampi during a long weekend in August. We called and reserved a place in Nargila, but they said they were full when we reached there, very unprofessional of them. It worked out well for us though we walked around and found a cottage/room in Mowgli. It was quieter, had great views and had parking inside the gate. We spent a lot of time in the restaurant, with Hampi style seating overlooking the river and paddy fields. Food was quite tasty and service was quite prompt. There was some problem with the light in the room, and hot water which they resolved in a few hours. There was construction work going on next to our cottage, so that was a little painful. We crossed the river by boat to go to Hampi.. rented a bike to get around there.. All in a all a great trip to Hampi, and it was ok staying in Mowgli overall, thanks mainly to the food and the view from the restaurant.

Room Tip: There are cottages with river views.. they were pre-booked, so we didn't get them, but it must b...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 5, 2013

We loved our time at Mowgli. The cottages are basic: there wasn't any hot water while we were there, and the power was erratic although dim lighting and a fan were available through solar power.

However, it was one of the most peaceful places we stayed at while in India. We had a cottage with a swing seat overlooking rice fields and beyond that, the river. We spent hours there just enjoying the views and the peace and quiet which is a marked difference to Hampi Bazaar on the other side of the river.

There weren't many people but I think the restaurant would be a great place to meet other travellers during peak season. The food was pretty standard for Hampi, but it's easy to walk to other nearby restaurants on this side of the river.

Veeru seemed to be doing basically everything, except for the cooking; he was helpful, friendly and keen to get to know everyone staying there.

It's a bit more pricey than some other places in Hampi but still excellent value, and worth it for the peace and quiet.

Room Tip: Choose a cottage with a river view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 3, 2013

We stayed at Mowgli for 2 days in one of their Riverside cottages. The experience was average even though we had very low expectations before reaching there.
The location, environment and pricing of the guesthouse were the positives. But some things that are basic to any accommodation (Clean bed sheets, Clean Toilets, etc.) were a let down.
On our arrival, we found that the room was very dusty and the toilet had standing water. Our toilet did not have a latch and the toilet paper was all wet.
The place seems extremely understaffed as I saw only one guy doing everything except cooking. He was very helpful though and always spoke earnestly and politely.
What we enjoyed the most was sitting outside the room on the lawn swing and chatting. The view was serene and the air was pure. The breakfast was acceptable if not delicious.
There is nothing else to talk about the place as it is a no-frills establishment.
One can take some time off and enjoy a long stay here away from everything. But keep your expectations to the minimum.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends