“Very clean and comfortable.”
Review of Hotel Asian Plaza

Hotel Asian Plaza
Ranked #70 of 79 Hotels in Dharamsala
Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is located on the main road of the town. The room and the toilet was very clean. The staffs were very helpful. Thank u very much to them. The location was very good ,everything was in a walking distance. There were some restaurants, sourvenir and tibetian markets nearby.They have a rooftop restaurant where u can eat and enjoy the view, the food was good. Overall it was a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Madan K, Manager at Hotel Asian Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2016

There are newer reviews for Hotel Asian Plaza

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We had booked in advance a deluxe room for 3 adults. We were very happy about the ambience of the reception and corridors. But when we reached our room, we were shocked to see that the room was just as wide as the corridor. Their so called 'deluxe' room was too small even for a single person, let alone for 2/3 persons. When we asked them to change the room they said that they had called me few days after the reservation suggesting us to upgrade to a bigger room as deluxe rooms were too small for 3 adults. I had not received any such phone call and asked them why this was not mentioned on their site when I was making the reservation because rooms of other hotels were unavailable for resevation if they were too small for 3 adults. The manager didn't have any answer to this and asked me to talk with the Makemytrip customer care. I talked to them and they settled the matter by asking the manager of the hotel to give us another bigger room at no extra cost. So we were given a single occupancy room beside the previous room, and we were fine with it for then.

Later when we started settling in the room we realized that the room was so small that there was no place to open our suitcase on the floor. The cupboard provided was very tiny and that too was occupied with the spare quilt. There was hardly any place to keep our luggage and walk around. Two people couldn't stand together without tripping on the luggage or bed. We had to crawl over the bed to get to the intercom. There were no windows and the room was too stuffy. We couldn't switch on the television and the fan together because they shared the same switchboard. The bathroom was spacious but was missing few tiles. The WC was fit into such a small area that one couldn't sit without the seat cover falling on his back. There were cockraches and big black ants as well. We somehow spent the night in this pigeon hole.
The next morning we ordered tea in our room. Then we realized that the small rack 'below' the tiny cupboard was already accupied with the water jug and glasses. So the tea tray had to be kept on the bed. We gulped down the tea and left this hotel as soon as we could to get some fresh air outside.

This hotel is luxurious only on the outside. The service is terrible and the price is not so low. I would suggest to give this hotel a miss. There are better hotels at the same or lower price.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank 980Traveller

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The hotel I is located inain town city centre area of dharamshala. This may be a positive or a negetive depending on your preference. Since we wanted a convenient location but without much noise so this turned out to be a neutral place for us. The rooms are neat and clean and the staff is polite and courteous. The food is good and the service is also prompt.

They should add more to the interiors of the rooms and the decor.

OVerall a good place if you dont mind the sound of car horns.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank neerajjain454

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We stayed one night here on our way to Dalhousie. We had not booked in advance and consequently this was the first hotel we saw when we entered Mcleodganj.

Whats going in favour of the hotel is the location. Smack bang in the middle of town with access to restaurants, banks and the entire town eco system. So no complaints there. But that's where the good news ends. The rooms are average. It has a bed, television set which is an LCD and a balcony as well at least for the super deluxe rooms. Toiletries were ok. Bed was ok - comfortable. The people at the reception were helpful.

The hotel has a roof top restaurant. Food was strictly average especially for the vegetarian fare. Service was a tad on the slower side. But the staff was cheerful and ready to help.

Mcleodganj disappointed me. The Shiva temple and the Dalai Lama complex and Tibetan monastry was very good but it was not a hill station per se.

We paid ~Rs 2500 per night not including breakfast. On the balance the price to performance ratio was not adequate.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Viral S

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Its a good hotel to stay in mc leodganj. The service was excellent and the staff was very polite and friendly. The main Plus point of the hotel is its location. Its actually on the main n the most happening point of the mc leodganj.
I stayed in the suite of the hotel. Dont expect it to be the suite that u find in a star hotel but still the room was good with all the facilities. I paid Rs 5000/- per night, with extra bed, considering that i didnt pre book it and was rush time weekend.
Another plus of the hotel is its Roof Top Restaurant. Ur evening can be really good with a dinner on the Terrace top restaurant with a beautiful view of the valley as well as u can view all of the mall road from the Terrace.And yes of course the food was excellent too with good service. At one point i saw the manager of the hotel himself coming to the Terrace top to see that guest of the restaurant are satisfied.
Only thing is that they dont have a parking but u can park the car at the nearby parking.

All in all its the perfect place to stay if u like to stay in the midst of all the hustle n bustle.

Room Tip: i stayed at the suite room . the room was good enough but view was compromised by a tree outside. ma...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank vaibhav_jain160976

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed here for two nights at the end of March 2013. The hotel has two branches, one in Dharamshala and one in McLeod Ganj: we stayed in the latter. The hotel is right in the middle of town and the rooms and decor are of good quality. Unfortunately, everything else about this hotel was truly appalling and a long way from what you'd expect at a so-called 'luxury' hotel. It makes Fawlty Towers look like the Hilton. It'll be easier if I just list all the things we experienced while we there:
1. The manageress who greeted us was very pleasant and especially keen for us to take one of the suites. After some persuasion, we did, at a cost of 5,000 rupees a night. She was also very keen for me to pay upfront for one night, which I agreed to do, but she then informed me that the hotel's only credit card machine was out of order (in a luxury hotel?). In my experience of India, this excuse is quite commonly used when the proprietor wants cash.
2. The rooms have no sound proofing; our room experienced the very worst of the horns and shouts from the thoroughfare below until about 10 at night.
3. As we didn't fancy another Indian meal (this was our second week in the country), I decided to order some European food from the hotel's extensive menu. Unfortunately, I was informed that none of the pizzas were available. OK, so I asked for 'lamb steaks': these were also unavailable. I then deciided to order a lamb curry with paratha, only to be informed that I could have the lamb, but the parathas were only available at breakfast. We gave up and ordered a takeaway (despite the prominent notice in the room forbidding the consumption of 'outside eatables.'
4. At breakfast the next day, I orderded fried eggs on toast. About 15 minutes later, the waiter appeared with the eggs. What about the toast, I asked? The waiter reappeared after fully 10 minutes with a plate of warmed bread. Any chance of butter I queried? That would cost an extra 90 rupees, I was informed. I decided to abandon breakfast and eat at a neighbouring cafe.
5. Upon asking one of the staff whetehr they had internet facilities at the hotel, he proudly informed that yes, there was a cyber cafe next door. So no then.
6. At checkout, I discovered that the two ice buckets I'd ordered with my soft drink (the fridge in the room was there solely for decorative purposes) had been charged separately at 50 rupees each time (I know the money is a tiny amount, but still).
7. Our laundry bill was inflated to twice the amount we should have been charged; luckily my wife spotted this error.

I guess I could go on but I won't. If you want a cenrrally located place in McLeod Ganj, the Asian Plaza may meet your needs, but the service levels, professionalism and competence provided by staff at all levels are appalling. Avoid.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank arjun5764

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Located in heart of Dharamshala. It is the best hotel in lower dharamshala or else you have to look for something in Mcleodganj which is 6kms uphill.
We didnt like the hotel which we had booked so we went and check this hotel and it was great and being off peak season we got very good deal.

We had booked 2 super deluxe and 1 deluxe room. Both the rooms are very good and clean only difference is super deluxe room are little bigger and and on higher floor. Which also means you need to climb extra stairs as thr is no lift.

Rooms had great view of dharamshala and were equipped with heater and geyser for hot water. Hotel staff is very good with the service. Food was also good.

Overall it was a great experience staying in this hotel. But if you are looking for more fun and late night enjoyment stay in Mcleodganj not in dharamshala.

Room Tip: Book super deluxe if you are on honeymoon
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family