“introduction course”

Tushita Meditation Centre
Ranked #17 of 58 things to do in Dharamsala
Reviewed June 28, 2012

I took the 10 days introduction course, very interesting and a great experience.
my teacher was Glen, which I highly recommend! proffessional, organized and fascinating

1  Thank Lee O
There are newer reviews for Tushita Meditation Centre

Reviewed June 23, 2012

Dharamsala. The land of his holiness, the Dalai Lama. You'd think that in a place that is founded upon Tibetan Buddhism and Tibetan liberation, there would be a place for the common person to go meditate. Unfortunately, meditation in all of the main monastery's is restricted to monks only, (unless you want to sit and meditate by yourself amongst swarms of tourists taking photos of the monastery). Because of this, my sister and I went up to Tushita for their daily morning meditation class. As we hiked up the road to the meditation center, we saw many monkeys climbing all over the trees which was amazing. As we walked, we left the hustle and bustle of Mcleod Ganj behind us, and we reminded that we are in an amazing natural habitat nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas. When we reached the center, we walked around the grounds which are peaceful and quiet, and then went in for our one hour meditation center. As people who do not often meditate, we found this beginner session to be enlightening, calming, and a great way to start the morning. I do not know how it would be to stay here for a long amount of time, but for a nice (and free, although donations are recommended) way to start a day in Dharamsala, I highly recommend it for anyone passing through!

3  Thank Jaime L
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I went on the Intro to Buddhism retreat course here and also attended teachings from Jetsumna Tenzin Palmo. I've never been on a retreat where I could buy chocolate before... There are a couple of luxuries, like great food and a bit more freedom, than you might find at the Vipassana place next door.

Tenzin Palmo is absolutely fantastic and seems to teach at Tushita quite often.

Tushita do a great job, but the intro course is 95% foreigners and very Mahayana. Mediations were too short and too guided for my taste, but I guess it depends what you're looking for.

Unfortunately the Dharma is not free here, at least for the Intro to Buddhism courses. I tried to volunteer my time in exchange, but they did not need any volunteers. The 'donation' is a compulsory one and the amount you donate is worked out for you at the beginning of your stay.

2  Thank qushta
Reviewed June 7, 2012

Never tried my hand at meditation before but was glad i found it here. Great for first timers.

Reviewed May 25, 2012

Went there 4 times for the daily guided meditation during my one week trip. The meditation is a drop in without prior registration from 9.15 to 10.15. They start dot on time and are quite full thus better be on time. It's a great way to start your day. For novices and experienced practitioners alike. You could leave a donation in the box there. The centre itself is beautiful and a great vibe to it. Found it better than the main Dalai Lama temple. The tea stall just outside the centre is great for more than just the wide range of tea's.

1  Thank BobbyIND