“A paradise calm and cozy”
Review of Vidya Niwas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dharamsala
Vidya Niwas
delhi
“A paradise calm and cozy”
Reviewed May 20, 2009

What began as a simple internet search for housing in Dharamsala during His Holiness the Dalai Lama teachings has ended up being one of the most calm and cozy experiences while travelling in India. The surrounding sights and sounds the elegant and comfortable room, the amazing food, the many conversations with all members have made this stay a refreshing break from my life in Delhi. Iam looking forward to a future return trip to Vidya Niwas with my husband to enjoy it all over again. Many blessings..! Jen

• Stayed September 2008, traveled with friends

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Bhopal, India
Reviewed May 6, 2009

After a tiring road trip and a land slide on the way, we were looking forward to our stay at a decent, cosy guest house run by a local couple - Arvind & Sangita. On arrival, our first sight
was a house of sub-standard architecture - designed by owners with no background in design, uncleaned green moss on the walls, pealing paint and a slippery (green moss) leading
upto the house. Most of the rooms have a separate entrance from outside. This could be an advantage for guests seeking privacy. This was not too attractive for me since I had narrow,
slippery, uncovered stairs to climb up to my room during the monsoons. The room was austere, furnished with ordinary furniture & decorations. It gave the feel of a cheap lodge.

The house is built on several levels with uneven steps - quite risky if you are travelling with senior citizens - as was our case. We had our meals in the the hosts' dining room. It was cramped, had dangerous steps leading upto the dining table and we could see the rats running around the kitchen. Enough to kill a hungry man's appetite. The food was local Himachal Pradesh cuisine - very similar to any home cooked meal in India, nothing out of the ordinary. Though, the warmth, hospitality, friendliness and local information provided by hosts' running the guest house was exceptional. The serene ambience and view was spectacular. But, this was true of many other Dharamshala hotels we checked out later. Besides, Vidya Niwas was almost 40 minutes drive fromt the mall road - center of all activity, the main market and most other sightseeing points. I would give it a single star rating.

Steer clear unless it's a long stay and you find the tarriff too attractive.

• Liked — Warmth & Hospitality of Hosts
  • Disliked — the room, the Guest House, bad maintainence, rats in the kitchen
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank gkhattar
holmfirth
Reviewed January 26, 2009

I stayed here having been lured by the web site. I was appauled at the standard of cleanliness (I cleaned the bathroom myself before I could use it) and by the dreadful food. The house is not conveniently positioned being 2 bus rides from Macleod. The owners are OK but were not at all happy when I tried to check out early, I had a bad stomach infection so they caught me at my most vulnerable and insisted that I stay the whole 4 days which were absolutely the worst of my 4 month trip to India.

• Liked — friendly daughter
  • Disliked — food, accomodation, owners
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
4 Thank tosu
London
Reviewed November 14, 2008

Wonderful four day stay at Vidya Niwas. Arvind and Sanjeeta made us very welcome and were keen to share their knowledge of the area and Arvind was a great guide when we were exploring the beautiflu surrounding countryside.
Sanjeeta is a great cook and we really enjoyed all our meals with the family.

Rooms had themes, our was Tibetan and we had a balcony with great viewsof the mountains.

Certainly would recommend as a place to stay away from the hustle and bustle of the very touristy McCleod Gange.

• Liked — welcome given by Arvind and Sangeeta and their knowledge of the area.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
illinois
Reviewed June 7, 2008

I stayed in the Gurung's Home with my wife in September. We had come from the U.S.A to see Kangra and Dharamsala. This place is located in a very beautiful area. The View is great, It is veyr peaceful. The owners have very good knowledge of practical life. It was wonderful talking to them. I wish them the best. If I come back I will stay here for sure.

• Liked — The location and the room.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank bookworm22arun
USA
Reviewed May 14, 2008

I arrived in Dharamsala with one of my friends. We stayed at Vidya Niwas for sometime before going for our five day trek in Himachal Pradesh. Although we were enthusiastic trekkers we had no wish to even leave Vidya Niwas, we still remeber the awsome food we ate there and we learnt on Himalayan culture through the themed room. I would not hesitate to recommend it to any of my friends. The owners are charming and helpful and you can meet them for any help.

• Liked — The Food was amazing and the wonderful thematic rooms had a great ambience.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with friends
Mount Kisco, NY
Reviewed October 28, 2007

When we first arrived at Vidya Niwas we had been travelling a very long way by car from Amritsar. We arrived later than we had expected and were very tired. Both Sangeeta & Arvind were there to greet us with chai and snacks. They could not have been more welcoming. We said that we may need to change our plans because our friends were in McLeod Ganj proper and they said not to worry – if we had to we could change our plans with no consequence. But first they wanted us to see their Guest House and relax from our long day. After spending time in the busy towns of Dharamsala and McLeod Ganj we were SO HAPPY at the end of the day to come back to Vidya Niwas where we could go out on the roof and stare at the beautiful stars with the snow capped Himalayans in the background. We heard crickets and the little waterfall.

We never changed our hotel plans because we LOVED staying in The Golok Princess room at Vidya Niwas. I felt like I was home. It was so comfortable and it even had a beautiful Buddhist shrine in the room for meditation. Both Sangeeta & Arvind made us beautiful and delicious breakfasts and entertained us with their stories and information about Dharamsala and India. They were both such a wealth of information.

I will never forget this beautiful place and plan on coming back again to stay for a longer time. Sangeeta & Arvind are involved in so many wonderful local projects and have such great access to yoga, meditation, trekking and all activities that I will probably need at least a month next time. Thank you both for being so wonderful!

Lynn
Mount Kisco, NY USA

• Liked — The owners, room and breakfasts
  • Disliked — a taxi ride from the town of McLeod Ganj