“Feels like home”
Review of Vidya Niwas

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dharamsala
Vidya Niwas
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Me and my friends walking along the streets of Dharamsala came across this homely building called Vidya Niwas. I don't like the tag of hotel on it. Its much more like a home. Somewhere out in the hills where you would want to rest, regain your calm and composure. The owners Mr. Arvind and Mrs. Sangeeta Gurung, took care of us themselves, to make sure we had a comfortable visit. Food was just exquisite, the same food your mom would cook you when you came back home from hard day of work. Not only do they offer you a home but they take care of you too. They would arrange packages of all sorts right from treks to travelling. They will make sure you leave with experience of a lifetime. Such hospitality and such economical costs made sure that I will return to Dharamsala, and stay down at Vidya Niwas, have a good session of yoga and meditation they provide and just sit on the window and stare at the most beautiful n exotic view of the Himalayan mountains. I suggest anyone who came down to Dharamsala, to stay at this beautiful place and get in touch with your true self! :)

P.s. - They have the cutest little dog named Bojo. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank InderVeer

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I have been here twice. Not once did I feel anything missing from a perfect holiday. Everything about this place makes me feel like I am at home yet on a holiday. The vibe of this place is so perfect that I think I can live here forever.

I loved how they can arrange all kinds of therapeutic activities for you according to your budget. They have trained professionals for yoga and meditation, and well informed guides take you to treks and sightseeing. A wonderful view of snow capped mountains and lush valleys just add charm to the locality of this hotel.

The owners are the warmest hearted people you can ever come across. Their concern towards your comfortable stay is really heart touching.
Towards your stay makes you feel special. The home cooked food you get is exceptional and makes you feel connected to the roots of Dharamshala. (If you find Mr. Arvind, request him to make his masala chai, it is an out of this world experience! The daughter Naintara, makes great omelets too).

They have the cutest dog in the world. His name is Bojo. You will love him :)
Overall, it’s a beautiful place from people with beautiful people. :)

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Cherish7
Reviewed October 26, 2009

Been back to see Arvind & Sangeeta at Vidya Niwas, on the road out from Dharmsala, the place is starting to look a bit worn - could do with a bit of painting & decorating, but the friendliness of them both, the good food, the yapping dogs, the peace and quiet are all to be looked forward to. A bit of a haven in a noisy overcrowded India.
It's interesting to see, and I have been going for four or five years, that there is few negative comments on Trip Advisor. Most places I stay at in India (or elsewhere) seem to attract negative critisism - I certainly leave it if I am dissatisfied or ripped-off, when things don't please; few folks leave positive comment. But thats human nature.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled solo
5  Thank 1777NT
Reviewed September 19, 2009

Their experience in international hotels and their contacts in the Dharamsala area compliment the home stay of Arvind and Sangeeta. I liked their warm company at any time of day, leading onto evening meals becoming lively discussions! The home cooked food was very good and the bedroom was comfortable. Being a little away from the town, the area is peaceful, with excellent views across the valley and to the snow capped mountains in the other direction. If you are expecting 5 star facilities, then this is not for you, but then neither is the price! However, both Arvind and Sangeeta offered me 5 star hospitality, which has not been bettered anywhere in India and I expect to stay again in 2010.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed June 4, 2009

I cannot imagine a better place to spend my first month in India free from school and free from the world, than this beautiful home and family. The time I spent gazing at the hills was priceless and the food was amazing. Thank you so much. Love and blessing, Will return soon.

Steve

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed May 20, 2009

What began as a simple internet search for housing in Dharamsala during His Holiness the Dalai Lama teachings has ended up being one of the most calm and cozy experiences while travelling in India. The surrounding sights and sounds the elegant and comfortable room, the amazing food, the many conversations with all members have made this stay a refreshing break from my life in Delhi. Iam looking forward to a future return trip to Vidya Niwas with my husband to enjoy it all over again. Many blessings..! Jen

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 6, 2009

After a tiring road trip and a land slide on the way, we were looking forward to our stay at a decent, cosy guest house run by a local couple - Arvind & Sangita. On arrival, our first sight
was a house of sub-standard architecture - designed by owners with no background in design, uncleaned green moss on the walls, pealing paint and a slippery (green moss) leading
upto the house. Most of the rooms have a separate entrance from outside. This could be an advantage for guests seeking privacy. This was not too attractive for me since I had narrow,
slippery, uncovered stairs to climb up to my room during the monsoons. The room was austere, furnished with ordinary furniture & decorations. It gave the feel of a cheap lodge.

The house is built on several levels with uneven steps - quite risky if you are travelling with senior citizens - as was our case. We had our meals in the the hosts' dining room. It was cramped, had dangerous steps leading upto the dining table and we could see the rats running around the kitchen. Enough to kill a hungry man's appetite. The food was local Himachal Pradesh cuisine - very similar to any home cooked meal in India, nothing out of the ordinary. Though, the warmth, hospitality, friendliness and local information provided by hosts' running the guest house was exceptional. The serene ambience and view was spectacular. But, this was true of many other Dharamshala hotels we checked out later. Besides, Vidya Niwas was almost 40 minutes drive fromt the mall road - center of all activity, the main market and most other sightseeing points. I would give it a single star rating.

Steer clear unless it's a long stay and you find the tarriff too attractive.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family