There is not really anything e can fault with GFC. Like all of Sanctuary's camps and lodges, the standards are excellent. The staff is attentive, friendly and helpful. Since we were the only guests, Jackson - acting manager - joined us for our Batwa experience and hospital visit, which was good fun. The rooms are spacious and very nicely decorated. A tiny bit damp, but we have enough experiences of the rainy season in East Africa to know that you simply can't get away from that. They do check on the sheets daily to see if anything needs to be changed to minimise the dampness. Hot water bottles at night not only helps keep the sheets warm and dry but is a good example of the many small touches that make a stay here so memorable. The food was excellent as well - always a three-course meal with two choices for starters, mains and desserts. The quiche in particular was incredible, but we were also impressed with the freshness of all the salads. Not to mention the chocolate mousse... Sitting by the campfire at night or relaxing in the bath, all the while listening to the sounds of the forest - we simply did not want to leave! The showers were fantastic as well, the water heated by firewood. Sanctuary has recently undertaken a lot of maintenance work at GFC, so the curtains, bed spreads and much else is brand new. Jackson has also done a fantastic job getting the kitchen on track, and we enjoyed huge quantities of fresh juice between meals.
Sanctuary also take a huge social responsibility, and have contributed some USD2 million to the Batwa Community Hospital, either directly or through guest donations. The hospital is well worth a visit! Although generally suspicious of organised 'cultural experiences', the Batwa experience (not run directly by Sanctuary, so it is an extra cost) was actually wonderful. It is well worth knowing that the things you will see are not there primarily for tourists, but is the way in which Batwa elders, who once lived in the Bwindi forest, teach the Batwa culture to their children and grandchildren who have not experienced living in the forest themselves. What made the experience great was the obvious enjoyment of the Batwa - whether they were laughing at us, with us or at themselves I don't know, but something sure was funny!
All in all a thoroughly enjoyable stay - highly recommended!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- As the only concessionaire luxury camp within Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp is the perfect base from which to track the park's most famous resident - the mountain gorilla. The main area features a comfortable lounge and bar area as well as the main dining area while the mini spa offers a wide selection of treatments. Located within the National Park, Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp offers guests an unrivalled location, including the best bird and wildlife viewing in the Bwindi area. In fact Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp often receives regular visits from the gorillas themselves. For the lucky guests in camp at those times, they may have the chance for a gorilla encounter without even leaving Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp. The eight tents at Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp are stylish and spacious, each featuring two queen sized beds. In addition to the comfortable warm beds, each tent has a huge bathtub that looks straight into the jungle canopy ideal for soaking tired muscles after a day spent observing and meeting gorillas. Observe rare forest species while soaking in the tub, followed by a cocktail on the private viewing deck served by your personal attendant. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, South African Hotels and Booking.com so you can book your Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Hotel Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Sanctuary Gorilla Forest Camp Uganda/Bwindi Impenetrable National Park