““What a spectacular place!””

Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi
london
““What a spectacular place!””
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

Absolutely beautiful, peaceful, lovely. The staff was excellent as well as the food! No dieting here! Highly recommend! The Manager Gabriel did a great job organizing hikes,conoe ride on this beautiful lake and village visits. The Lake was phenomenal as was the view of the Virunga mountains. It was a great place to end our African adventure!
I will certainly be back soon

Room Tip: All rooms similar!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Doris M, Owner at Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi, responded to this review, October 30, 2013
Dear Keith,
I would like to thank you for your very nice feedback. It really means a lot to me that you enjoyed your stay with us! A big thank you also that you took the time to write this review to share your experience with others. We hope to be able to welcome you back at Chameleon Hill soon.
Warm regards
Doris

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
The Hague, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

I stayed at Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill as a part of a gorilla trekking package that I booked. I had not heard of the property or did any background checking. It is one of the most beautiful locations that I have ever stayed at, the view from the main lodge and all of the individual lodges was breathtaking...whether is was watching the sunrise, sunset or thunder and lightning storm over the Lake.
But the true value of this property was the attention to detail and the wonderfully welcoming staff that worked there. As I was travelling solo, the first night for dinner the manager sat with me and gave me the background of the location and property. You felt as if you were among friends and that the conversation was genuine and not forced.
The beds and bedding were divine and made for a wonderful night of rest after long days.
The food was not local in taste but the products were sourced locally. It was food that tasted as good as it looked. The breakfast was European in nature and included cereal, toast and eggs. Thank you for catering for a vegetarian as well.
I would have loved to spend a few more days just relaxing and resetting in this wonderful surroundings with such welcoming and honest staff.
Without a doubt I would give two thumbs us for Lake Mutanda Chameleon Hill.

Room Tip: All the rooms/lodges had great views:)
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Fiona C
Doris M, Owner at Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi, responded to this review, October 5, 2013
Dear Fiona,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write this amazing review on Chameleon Hill. It makes me very happy to be able to share our little piece of paradise with visitors to Uganda and contribute to an unforgettable travel experience. We hope to welcome you back at Lake Mutanda one day.
Warm regards
Kabul
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2013

I stayed at this location as it was in the final stages of completion and despite my initial misgivings on noting the ongoing work, I had a tremendous experience here.

The view alone makes this lodge a standout; all rooms have floor to ceiling glazing that looks across an island-strewn lake to the stunning Virunga volcanoes. The main building that houses the bar, dining area and lounge also has a wonderful wooden terrace that again, looks over this amazing vista.

The lodge however, does not rely on the views alone to justify its constant rave reviews. The food is simply amazing for this part of the world and it is a testament to both the chef and the management that the selection and quality of the food produced is fantastic. The staff are attentive without being overbearing and genuinely knowledgable about the Gorillas and Bwindi park in general.

Rooms are comfortable and clean with great showers; I had a particularly arduous trek on my first day tracking the gorillas and the hot shower, glass of wine on the terrace watching a thunderstorm over the lake, followed by a deep sleep in a cosy bed all set me right again ready for the next day's tracking!

Best of all there are no mosquitos here due to the altitude and climate and if you are staying for a few days, take the canoe trip around the islands, walk around the lake, meet the ever-smiling locals.

In short, a very special location, staffed and managed by a special team of people who go out of their way to ensure your stay is a welcome experience rather than a standard stopping-off.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank James M
Doris M, Owner at Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Dear James,
Thank you for your wonderful review. As you know this is a new lodge so feedback is so important for me and I am thrilled that your stay was an enjoyable one. We hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back again one day soon. In the meantime be sure to spread the good word about Chameleon Hill and this wonderful country Uganda.
Best regards
Kampala, Uganda
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2013

As I did with the Boma Hotel in Nairobi, where I wrote the first review on TripAdvisor and ultimately proved to be spot on with my assessment, my review of a recent stay at Chameleon Hill Lodge too will be the first. It reflects my stay experience, what I saw on site and what I guess the place will look like in a few months, when the grass is grown and regular guests fill the lodge with life, glasses clinking when toasting each other from the main deck outside the dining and lounge, enjoying the breathtaking views.

I approached the lodge, after a hiking trip of several days, and coming around one last corner, Chameleon Hill rose in the distance shrouded in mist and fog which rose from Lake Mutanda. The entrance gate was still a work in progress but the main building beyond the parking stood tall and proud. The owner and manager were both at hand to welcome me, a cold juice proffered on a tray and a scented towel to wipe off the sweat and dust from the journey. We postponed the formal check in and embarked on a grand tour of the property, starting with the main building. Two hand crafted mosaics dominate the entrance hall, over which the middle tower rises. Next are the bar and dining room which down a few stairs extend to the lounge, fire places in both of course. The lounge in particular invites guests coming from hikes into the wider area around the lodge to put their feet up and I took the opportunity to do just that ... AFTER turning the arm chair to face the terrace and take in the vista across Lake Mutanda and the Virunga volcanoes in the distance. After emptying my juice, and leaving an order for African tea behind with the bar man, I was shown the main deck, giving that priceless million dollar view and then walked down and along the 10 cottages, all in different colours and those I could see from the inside again in colours different from the outside. That is novel for Uganda, that someone would make so bold a statement with explosive colours, not the subdued earth colours of beige and ocre and brown or green, but bold shouting colours.
The room are adequately furnished, an excellent bed / mattress and a duvet feather light but warm enough for the cold nights at this elevation.
The hot water in the bathrooms is generated by gas boiler, though a solar heating system is being considered for installation later on. The bathrooms are again offering all one needs, especially the rain shower standing out. I would say tastefully furnished, the pictures and decorative cushions 'colour coded' and the little bead fish in the windows show the character and intent of the owner to make Chameleon a very special place. The African tea was ready when I returned to finally sign my check in form and settled down for an early lunch.
I found a group of 8 other travellers staying and when I left Chameleon to head back to Kampala they were still there, plus one Canadian lady who impromptu prolonged her stay because she found it so 'awesome, awesome, just awesome'.
Breakfast was served a la carte and lunch and dinner as a set table d' hote menu, nicely presented, efficiently served and one could taste all the freshness of the organic vegetables, home grown or purchased from the farmers nearby.
While the lodge, at the time I visited, was still a work in progress, which included the landscaping as well as installing rails along the stair way to the lower accommodation levels, the impression for me was clear. This is going to be a winner, for the location, for the attention to detail and for the boldness of colours which one can either love or hate. I loved it. I call it an architectural fashion statement, something which Uganda needed, not fitting into any template or expectation visitors may have of a lodge in the wild.
Telecommunications are a bit of a problem I should point out in closing. Signals are patchy but additional 'towers' are planned for the neighbourhood and the presently rather rough road from Kisoro town to the lake too will see some substantial work in coming weeks, making a trip from Kampala easier.
Access by air is possible via the Kisoro airfield - AeroLink are flying daily commuter services from Entebbe, or by road using the brand new tarmac 'highway' from Kabale to Kisoro, the nearest town to Lake Mutanda. Await my next review in a few months to find out just how spot on I was or what different impressions I will bring with me from a future trip.

Room Tip: As the rooms are basically all the same, apart from wildly different colour schemes, the choice to b...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Safariafficionado
Dear Wolfgang,
Thank you for your wonderful feedback and for being our very first reviewer! Thank you also for your patience and understanding with regards to parts of the lodge that were not yet complete. Your advice was greatly appreciated too. Hopefully it will not be too long until you can return and see that we have implemented some of your suggestions. In the meantime please feel free to send many guests our way - you know we will always look after them.
Best wishes
#6 of 31 in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Rushaga Gorilla Camp
Rushaga Gorilla Camp
#4 of 12 in Kisoro

Been to Chameleon Hill Lodge Bwindi? Share your experiences!