“Worthwhile even without gorillas”

Nkuringo Walking Safaris
Book In Advance
More Info
$3,994.00*
and up
5 Days Rwanda Uganda Gorilla Tour
More attraction details
Owner description: Nkuringo Walking Safaris was established in 2007 as sustainable tourism initiative to develop a team of local guides with the premise of establishing a simply gorgeous multiday trek between the hamlet of Buhoma on the north side of the Bwindi Forest National Park and the town of Kisoro in South Western Uganda. Nkuringo Walking Safaris is a fully registered member of the Association of Uganda Tour Operators – AUTO; a one stop shop with Entebbe home / office base with our own fleet of 4x4 safari Land cruiser vehicles to support our safari programs. As a tour operator we are certainly more flexible than most and ready to work in partnership to deliver a fully tailor-made proposal for you. Why Nkuringo Walking Safaris Our team Our team consists of passionate Travel Consultants that will share both your enthusiasm for travel and lust for adventure. Because of their own extensive experience in the destinations that we offer, they will assist you in making your safari and travel experience an unforgettable event. Social Responsibility Nkuringo Walking Safaris works in partnership with the Nkuringo Youth initiative Foundation to bring about sustainable development in the communities through local skills development The company operates tours in Uganda and Rwanda. Our ranges of services include; Tailor made Safaris, Adventure travel, Biking Safaris, Walking Safaris and Luxury safaris.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I did a 3 day walking tour from Buhoma to Kisoro including the hike up Mt Sabinyo. The company employ local guides and drivers who are always on standby to help you enjoy your stay including ensuring we crossed the border to Rwanda without problems. The hikes started early but were usually over by early afternoon giving you the afternoon to relax. Mt Sabinyo climb was excruciating but worth all the pain!
We didn't book gorilla tracking in Uganda (we went to Rwanda) but I'd recommended the walk as an activity in its own right. At times there were some confusions about what we had and hadn't paid for (at one point we had to convince the hotel we hadn't already paid) but I'd recommend the tour to others.

2  Thank Kmart M

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Amazing experience! Spent an hour with the gorillas. Trek dependent on group. My trek was 7 hours in total, which was longer than usual as took a long time to find the gorillas as they kept moving. Most treks are shorter.

2  Thank Ellen-Louise-Johnson
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nkuringo Walking Safaris organized a four day hike for me in the south-west of Uganda - starting with climbing Mt Sabinyo, a one day hike from Kisoro to Nkuringo including crossing one of the lakes with a canoe, one day of gorilla tracking and the final leg of the hike from Nkuringo to Buhoma through Bwindi Forrest. The hiking is great and all days you have really stunning views on the Virunga volcanoes or Bwindi.
Everything was perfectly organized in a very clear and transparant way by Robert. My guide, Everest, really did everything he could to offer me a pleasant stay - including answering my endless questions on everything from local culture to birding!
I can recommend both the hike as well as the organization by Nkuringo Walking Safaris.

3  Thank MaartenXL
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Nkuringo walking safaris is a great asset to the african wildlife tourism industry. They are very well organized, helpful, responsive and put together an excellent trek. Add to that the amiable and relaxed Nkuringo group and you have an unforgettable experience. Have your audiences spellbound at the pub with stories from this trip. absolutely amazing. My guide, Asgario, was great, informative and hospitable, he had insights and information on every segment of the trip. There is one complaint that is forcing me to deduct one point and that is the food. Despite knowing that its clientele expend thousands of calories a day trekking, the packed lunches and even the food at the gorilla camp are quite paltry. packed lunch was a boiled egg sandwich, half a cheese sandwiches, some biscuits, pineapple, and a juicebox. WHAT??!! at dinner at the Nkuringo camp, the staff is very stingy with the portions. Dinner one night was a half portion of beef fry and potatoes. I asked if I could have some more and the staff just laughed and said "NO". the next day I wandered into the kitchen and saw a staff member with a huge plate of beef fry with huge chunks of meat. as i was salivating i felt like i was in something out of oliver twist. a great experience but be advised to bring some extra food.

4  Thank JasonSLTX
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We used this company for our two week ugandan trip and were highly, highly impressed with the investment of time they put in to work an itinerary suited to you, their wealth of knowledge on the region, professionalism and hard work. Their team from robert, to the office to the guide david was absolutely top class and easily a few notches in quality above other local operators we have used in africa.

More on that in my review for nkuringo gorilla camp.

Now we didnt actually do the walking trip from buhoma to kisoro across the rainforest, through local villages to lakes with volcano views etc but can wholeheartedly recommend the company and we met plenty of people at nkuringo gorilla camp who were doing the walk (with bolt ons including climbing mount sabinyo) and they were all loving it.

I can see why too, just driving its easy to see that this is uganda's most scenic corner with hills, volanoes, lakes and villages. I would have loved to have taken the opportunity to leave the car behind and walk this beautiful landscape but alas my wife's knee wouldnt permit any more than the marvellous gorilla tracking itself.