“An ABSOLUTE must!!”
Review of Mahogany Springs

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
Mahogany Springs
Budapest, Hungary
“An ABSOLUTE must!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2013 via mobile

I am a high-end traveler and I must admit that I was nervous about staying in a lodge in the jungles of Uganda BUT Mahogany Springs blew me away! This place is an absolute gem and an absolute must when doing the gorilla trekking in Bwindi. The grounds are fabulous, the rooms are very comfortable, the food was deeelicious, the staff was incredibly friendly/helpful, and the wifi was very quick :-)

This has to be one of my favorite destinations ever! I can't say enough about Magogany Springs. It's pricey compared to competitors but ABSOLUTELY worth it!!

Well done Mahogany Springs! I will be back!

• Stayed June 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed June 17, 2013

It's was a highlight for us! The place is gorgeous, the views are amazing, it is Eco-friendly in every sense, the food (Nepalese chef) is terrific, the porch is a lovely place to enjoy a sunset and glass of wine. You can take a little walk to see hydro power plant. Staff is very kind!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nancy f
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

The service we received from the booking process through to my stay was nothing short of incredible. I had emailed a few other properties and got a variation of delayed replies that were blunt and unhelpful. Mahogany Springs replied to my enquiry quickly, assisted with obtaining a Gorilla permits for myself and my wife and even booked the internal flights for us. Once we landed at Kihi (or something like that don’t remember the exact name!) the Mahogany Springs driver was waiting next to the airstrip and ran over to grab our baggage. The transfer took around 1 hour to the lodge (it had been raining pretty heavily) and we were already very excited as our driver, Moses, was telling us about history of the area and how the Gorillas has been inside the lodge just a week earlier.

Once arriving at Mahogany Springs we were greeted with warm face towels and a fresh passion fruit juice. The manager gave us a briefing and discussed any special requirements that we might have, the wife being a fussy vegetarian took advantage of this!

The rooms were the most comfortable we had stayed in during our East African adventure and the constant hot water as well as 24 hour power meant that my wife was finally relaxing!

The food was delicious and all my wifes special requests were seen to. They have a head chef from Nepal who can cook up some great Vegetarian options, we recommend the veggie samosas.

The staff couldn’t do enough for us and made us feel very special.

We had permits for the R group of Gorillas which we are led to believe is the most local and to be honest they were pretty easy to find. We had located them within around 1 hour and I think it only took that long because the rangers wanted us to get value for money. It is a breath taking experience and one I will never forget. I would say if you are a very keen walker then maybe request one of the other groups that are further away, although the rangers did explain that it is pot luck. We were back at Mahogany Springs by lunchtime but we saw other clients didn’t get back till 4-5pm. Luckily though the management helped us arrange a nice village walk in the afternoon.

We really enjoyed our stay here and would go so far as to say that Mahogany Springs was the perfect end to an East African trip that has been filled with a few ups and downs.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank AdamKlein
Delft, The Netherlands
Reviewed May 28, 2013

It is a quite new, nicely build location. I would recommend to sit on the balcony next to the dinner hall. You hear this nice jungle sounds and a waterfall running

The staff is very nice, they cleaned our shoes as a service, after we walked through the jungle for 2 hours (you wouldn't say they were shoes before and after they nearly looked as new). The staff isn't very flexible but polite, we wanted to have a drink first before dinner and they kept pushing us to have dinner. The buffet was ok but not exceptional.

One of the staff member was very kind and walked with us to the village, he was a trainee, coming from a tourism school. We went to the the Bwindi actors, a group of young mostly orphans lead by a few adults, who dance/act and make a little money which is used for their education/food. I would recommend going there, it is a small scale project which can make a huge difference for those children.

It is not a very special place, slightly overpriced. But the beds are nice, the rooms are spacious and clean. So for one/two nights if you want to go to the gorrilla's, it is convenient.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Kampala, Uganda
Reviewed May 20, 2013

If you're looking for consistency, a great location and good value and service in Bwindi/Buhoma, then this is the place!

I have stayed in several places in Buhoma and Mahogany Springs is up there with the winners!

The lodge is modern but with detailed design work - look closely at the carvings in the wood work. All areas (communal and rooms) are very clean and well laundered which is not always easy in a misty forested region. The bar is well stocked and they don't forget the simple things like 'would you like ice/and or lemon', one of my biggest frustrations from service in Uganda.

Jothan, the Manager is very hands on, entertaining and hard working. The team are welcoming and the standard of service is high, some of the highest I have experienced in Uganda and I have visited many lodges here.

Clients eat together which I liked. If you've tracked the gorillas then its great to chat about other people's experiences of different gorilla groups etc as each track is incredibly diverse and intimate. The food was good but there could have been a little more choice for fussy eaters like me. I can't eat rice and don't like boiled potatoes...

Whilst I am still undecided on Batwa Tourism in general, the evening performance was fun entertainment told some interesting stories of the indigenous people and the way that the life in the forest once was.

They have a service that collects you from Kihihi if you're on a flying safari. They have a wonderful tree planting project which makes you feel like you're 'giving a little back' which none of the other lodges seen to have which is odd when you think 'eco tourism' and 'forests'. Simple yet apparently genius. Well done to the brains behind the operation.They also have bush dining which I didn't experience but would like to next time!

To be honest, they could probably charge a little more and still get the same volume and good feedback!

My only constructive feedback was the the briefing, particularly in the rooms, was a little long and drawn out. I know how to flush the loo and that red means hot and blue means cold :-) But I guess better to overdo it than not at all!

Thanks to all that contributed to a fine journey and lodging in the kingdom of Gorillas!

Room Tip: I stayed in the one closest to the lodge, it was great.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Kampala, null, Uganda
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I absolutely rave at the beauty of Mahogany Springs. Designed with purely an African style yet the comfort remains un compromised. Attached to its beauty is the friendly staff headed by Jotham, who make the stay so very relaxing. I spent a night on a fine bed at the cottage which was close to the river; spiced up by roaring of the river, I wished to spend many more nights there. The meals were great ranging from breakfast to dinner. The Batwa performances were colorful, a sign that the lodge supports the local communities.
But the highlight of the stay at the lodge was the visit by the special guests– the Mountain Gorillas from the Rushegura group. The gorillas stormed the lodge premises and all the residents were stunned, we saw the entire family right from the silverback to the baby gorillas, swinging on the tree branches. All I can say is that Mohagany Springs is a must visit.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I have only good things to stay about this place. It was the clear favorite of our accommodations in Uganda & we chose high-end places for our entire trip. We spent nearly all day on the (oftentimes really bad!) road driving from Kigali, Rwanda to Mahogany Springs & were immediately met with some cool, delicious drinks, given a tour & briefing & were shown to our cabin. The room was very stylish, spacious & most importantly - comfortable. We stayed two nights. Because we arrived there late on the first day, had a really long gorilla trek the next day & left early the following day for QENP, I really wish we had one more day there!

The grounds of the lodge were beautifully maintained. Lots of lush foliage, colorful flowers, a path down to the river (about 2 minutes walk from our cabin) to sit & take in the sights & sounds. The main building was a great place to sit & unwind for drinks & had views of the forest. The gorillas (I think R group) had visited the property 2 days prior to us being there - sooo sad to have missed that! How incredible would that have been?? The lodge also had 3 cats (I forget their names, except for William, who was hilarious & would climb into our laps when invited!) which we loved watching cavort around the place!

Every single staff person we came into contact with was great & so personable, always offering kind words & plenty of smiles. I want to give a special thanks to Moses, who was especially sweet & went above & beyond. My husband went to reception to ask if they could change large UGX bills into smaller denominations so we could leave tips, buy souvenirs etc. & he volunteered to drive into town & change it for us. Totally unexpected & totally appreciated! Also, the staff cleaned our hiking boots after the trek, which was great, b/c our boots got so muddy during the gorilla trek!

And the food - amazing! Every meal was unbelievably delicious (from soup/salad starter down to the desserts) & there were vegetarian options at each meals. Perfect portion sizes, too - not too small & not too large. The lodge packed lunches for us for the gorilla trek & on the day we left to eat during the long drive to QENP.

We fell in love with Uganda during our first visit to the country & fell in love with Mahogany Springs & would highly recommend to anyone! Comfort & luxury in the middle of the forest! But don't just take our word for it...go & see & experience for yourselves! : )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple