“Feel like at home”

Lake Kitandara Tented Camp
Ljubljana, Slovenia
“Feel like at home”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I stayed here twice already and I felt like at home. Service is good and staff is extremely friendly and helpful. Moses Nahabwe did his best to make my stay enjoyable and unique. I would highly recommend staying at their tented camp while exploring Bwindi and Gorillas.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alen S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Portland, Oregon, United States
Reviewed December 7, 2012

We really loved this tented camp!

Yes, it's camping (sort of) so didn't expect a lot of glam--but the tents were well covered to protect from weather (with 3 different layers to the actual roof over the tent), plus they're raised up on a platform. The bathrooms are on the backside of the tent platform and totally private--full tub, detachable shower head, flushing toilet, sink and bureau. Our tents were very clean and well maintained.

The meals were decent--not fabulous, but we didn't really care because the staff was SO fantastic, as was the location and the fact that we were about to see gorillas the next day really made everything else so much less important.

The grounds are very lush--we were there in the wet season so there was a nice downpour in the hot weather each day, but you could hang out under cover of your roof on your tent veranda, or hit the "reception" tent by the main gates and have coffee or tea and listen to the rain - it's all open air.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie H
joancollins69
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

As part of a tour package to see the beautiful gorillas I took up digs here. The mounted tents are a little worn but presented in lovely gardens & platforms. The room is spartan but the huge bed clean & warmed with a hot water bottle. No electricity but youre welcomed to recharge in the office. The shower is hand held and in the rear of the tent which is open & makes u feel like u really are in the mountains. Pressure so so but hot water runs. Everything smells & feels damp (not the bed) but you're in a rain Forrest! The food was amazing and catered to my veggi ways. The staff were just brilliant so kind & caring & welcoming they really make this place memorable. They even made my 40th bday the best bday ever by dressing up making me a cake & all singing happy birthday to me. I loved them for it. The manager Moses is just lovely.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank joancollins69
Miami
Reviewed September 5, 2012

I can't say enough about such a wonderful stay at this camp. The rooms / tents were spotless, bathrooms worked great, hot water and the staff was superb! Food was excellent and plentiful, and the team that worked there couldn't do enough for everyone in our party. Location is excellent, just a 5 minute walk from the walks. Boxed lunches were great. Don't listen to previous reviews that are not positive as this is an excellent place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a room in the middle of the camp, not to close to kitchen or reception
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank maltravel
London
Reviewed January 23, 2012

I stayed at the Lake Kitandara camp for three nights last week and am deeply saddened by the previous reviews.

Firstly my opinion of the camp - it is in a great location in the centre of the village, the tents were in good order and immaculately clean (definitely no mouldy odour in my tent), the bed was comfortable and the staff were extremely courteous and helpful. The tents are positioned up a hillside so yes, there are steps to climb - but people are generally in Bwindi to trek so surely this shouldn't be too much of a problem?! My tent was by the restaurant halfway up, so sitting on the verandah in the evenings looking out over the mountains, listening to the children singing in the village below was just lovely. The hot water did take a while to come through as it comes from a tank up the hill - just leave the hot tap running for 20 minutes or so while you go and have a drink on the verandah and it'll come through.

Each of the previous reviews has reported on various problems. I have no wish to fall out with anyone on here but I do feel the need to respond to the complaints that have been made previously.

- Theft: unfortunately this can happen anywhere (try living in London!). The staff were always around and at no point were any unauthorised people within the camp. I found the Ugandan people to be incredibly honest - my friend unknowingly dropped his Rayban sunglasses in a field and two hours later towards the end of the walk, the guy that found them found us to return them. These people work desperately hard for very little money and so he could have easily sold them and we would have been none the wiser. Yes its a shame that someone had some of their clothes stolen but I'm amazed that the person then fought for compensation - for clothes? Did he not walk out of the campsite at any point and see children dressed in rags, working very long hours to pay for their own schooling? I'm sure the price he demanded back for his clothes would have perhaps paid for a childs attendance at school for a term or more. It puts it into perspective.

Noise: aside from a couple of solo travellers, ours was the only group staying in the camp so we had no problems with noisy neighbours and had a very peaceful stay - but again a noisy bunch of guests can happen anywhere on any campsite. I always take earplugs whenever I travel - they take up no space or weight and are far more effective than a pillow stuck over your head...

Food: the food at Lake Kitandara was very good, fresh and plentiful with three courses prepared from what was available locally, and a very substantial packed lunch for our trekking days. You won't go hungry. To complain that the food was 'boring' I find highly disrespectful - again did this person not walk through the village and see how little people have got and how hard they work to feed and educate their families?

This is rural Uganda where the local people have so little and yet work so hard to make tourists feel welcome and enjoy their stay. My experience was that it is an incredibly beautiful region with polite friendly hardworking people and amazing wildlife. There is true beauty in the world, if only people would open their eyes and see it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DL09UK
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed December 8, 2010

I've just returned from wonderful 2 weeks in Uganda. I know it's Africa so I didn't expect the same quality of service like in Maldives or Mauritius for instance and I'm OK with this fact. Bwindi NP and gorilla trek especially was something out of this world! Simply one of the most impressive experince in my life. But I can't say the same about Lake Kitandara Tented Camp at all. As I said I'm OK with the temporary discomfort and this camp was really uncomfortable. Very old and wet tents with mouldy odour made my sleeping a bit problematic.

However the bigger trouble is the absolute absence of safety (there are no locks on tents! even if you have your own lock you can't use it because there is no loop; we pointed it out after our arrival and we were told it's absolutely safe there) ! One guy from our group was robbed when we trekked to see gorillas (his lock on luggage was broken and some clothes was stolen)! It can happen. I agree. But then the management must take resposibility which wasn't the case there. The guy reached compensation in the end but after hours of waiting, disputes and police assistance. To be honest without our tour guide who has really good reputation in Bwindi I doubt we would reach any result.
Go to Bwindi, go to gorilla trek but avoid Lake Kitandara Tented Camp and choose different accomodation !!!

• Stayed November 2010
Herradura, Costa Rica
Reviewed February 19, 2010

This place was great, if you don't want to sleep well. The location is great, the rooms have amazing views, the food is acceptable. Service was good during the day. Our second night there, one tent was having a huge, drunken party. Not sure if it was staff or guests. It woke me out of an exhausted sleep, and when my husband went to look for a manager to quiet them down, he could find nobody. this party went until like 2 in the morning and was so loud, I could hear it with pillows over my head. It was HORRIBLE. I would never, ever recommend this place to anyone or stay here again. They need to get night security or new management.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple