“Incredible hospitality and sustainable tourism at its best”

Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
London
“Incredible hospitality and sustainable tourism at its best”
Reviewed November 1, 2009

Firstly, thank you to all the previous reviewers of the Nkuringo Gorilla Campsite! If it hadn't been for your reviews or those on Lonely Planet Thorntree I would have missed out on what was by far the most rewarding part of my trip to Uganda.

I have travelled in over 50 countries of the world, mainly independent budget travel but also in some 5 star luxury, but I have never experienced such outstanding hospitality and customer service as I did with Robert, Lydia, Asgario, Benson, Cornelius and all the staff at Nkuringo Gorilla Campsite

I stayed at the campsite for 2 nights of my 4 day walking safari from Buhoma to Kisoro. The setting was stunning and so peaceful - one side overlooked the community of Nkuringo; and the other the Virunga volcanoes on the border of Rwanda and the Democratic Republic Congo. There was a variety of accommodation - I had chosen one of the simple but clean twin rooms of the Hammerkop bunkhouse but was quite tempted by the permanent tent with views over the volcanoes. The composting toilets were clean and there's a great outdoor shower. No electricity but that added to the charm and I took a lantern to my room each night.

Two bandas with ensuite bathrooms are currently being built which will provide a more luxurious option, but at a fraction of the price of the rooms in Cloud Lodge down the road.

As soon as I arrived the staff introduced themselves and were extremely helpful, polite and friendly throughout my stay. Benson, the main chef, cooked some amazing meals for me and the other guests (most of whom were staying there to visit the Nkuringo group of gorillas) and we sat around the stoves at night to keep ourselves warm and dry our boots. Staying for 2 days enabled me to chat to all the staff and exchange stories about our lives, though I could have stayed for much longer if I’d had the time!

The proceeds from the guests at the campsite and the walking safaris are ploughed back into the Nkuringo Youth Initiative Group (NYIG) which is providing the youth of Nkuringo opportunities to learn new skills such as crafts, music and farming as well as education and awareness about healthcare, environmental conservation and the importance of earning a living. The NYIG also puts on traditional dances for the tourists to enjoy.

The porters for the walking safaris work on a rotational basis so that the income is spread amongst the community. Local guides from the community also run community walks to enable guests to gain a deeper insight into the villagers' lives.

Knowing that my visit was benefiting the local community was really important to me. The majority of people who visit this part of South Western Uganda track the gorillas as their main activity ( I visited the Nshongi group which was an incredible experience) but if you can also combine a stay at the Gorilla Campsite with some trekking through the local areas with Nkuringo Walking Safaris then you won’t be disappointed. For me the interaction I had with the local people and the stunning scenery I encountered over the 4 days from Buhoma to Kisoro via Nkuringo was the highlight of my 3-week trip to Uganda.

Rachel, England

• Stayed September 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank RachieC

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Toronto
Reviewed October 19, 2009

By far one of the most memorable parts of my Africa trip. Roert and staff have done an amazing job of making this place, one of a kind. The rawness and simplicity of the camp is what I love the most. The small village of Nkuringo, the children who are so happy with so little. I definetly recommend this place, if you are a five star kind of person, someone who needs running water, gormet dinners etc.. stay away, better yet, youll probably love it too.

Regards
Adam M.
Toronto, Canada

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Adam14Toronto
Zuerich
Reviewed October 12, 2009

We had a wonderful 2 week trip to Uganda but one of our favorite experiences was the two day walking safari we did from Kisoro to Nkuringo: beautiful, interesting, authentic and relaxing: all at the same time. If you want to have a real experience of Uganda and learn a lot about its people that is what you should do. We had a wonderful guide who was not only very knowledgeable about the communities and all the questions we had:) but in addition so much fun to be with. After the walking tour, we stayed two days at Nkuringo Gorilla Campside. It is simple but very charming and romantic and I just fall in love with the views over the rain forest. It is truly one of the most spectacular places I have seen (and for sure the most spectacular for a camp site). In addition the staff is so caring, preparing you with a perfect tempered bush shower in the morning (at any time) and cooking excellent food in the evenings. We were also most impressed by the owners’ willingness to help us to organize any other aspect of your trip around Uganda, which made it a very special trip, with the best of Uganda. To sum up: there is not much more information about the Nkuringo Campside and Walking Tour to add in addition to the comments of the other travelers already made; expect that everything said is so true.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank is21
Madrid
Reviewed October 6, 2009

I must begin with what I rthink got to me the most. The Management of Nkuring Walking Safaris and Nkuringo Campsite and Hammerkop Bunkhouse know very well what they are doing. The site could not be better if you are lokking for 360 degrees view. And what a view. I highly recomend watching the sunset and sunris at least once. Accomodation is very clean and with a personal touch. Once the bandas are ready (I think around 01/2010) we will be able to say this is a MUST in any Ugandan Iteneraries. To be honest I think the trek with the gorillas is just a little too demanding depending on the person, but surely worthwhile. Also the the trekking iteneraries from Nkuringo to Buhoma or back are an excellent excuse to make your stay longer than just one night.
When I stayed at the place last august, it was a quiet night. There was a group of three ariving that night but they had some mechanical problems with their private car a few kilometers away from Nkuringo Campsite. I saw Rob working on his car to reach the three missing and certainly there was a very nice meal waiting when they arrived. That is the kind of response you need when travelling in Africa.
The trading center nearby is worthwhile visiting... lots of children will approach.
Thanks Rob and Crew

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharubu
Mallorca
Reviewed October 5, 2009

For those in seek of adventure and quality time with themselves, nature and authentic african communities, this is an affordable option which does not mean uncomfortable. The facilities are basic, yet good and clean and most importantly, this is where you get the real thing, the feeling that you're away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and of busy places in East Africa like Nairobi or Central Kampala. Plus, on a clear day views are breathtaking.

Besides the owner, the place is run by locals who also happen to be warm and kind people you can have a great conversation with. The cooks are ugandan as well and they are so good at cooking food for those not willing to try something far too exotic but at the same time at adding their own magical touch.

The place is a great option for gorilla trackers. Bwindi is an amazing spot for your gorilla tracking experience.

For those getting there by public transport, be careful because while you get to share your trip with great, real african people, it is also true that some drivers are crazy so taking buses, boda boda or private hires can be seriously dangerous.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank oscarinhodoportixol
Belgium
Reviewed September 21, 2009

It is not our first trip to Uganda but it was the first time we went to the area of Kisoro.We went the first week of august from Bwindi to Nkuringo for a walking safari of almost 6 ours, it was great but hard, we had beautiful sights with in the background the noise of the chimps. We would recommend this walk to everyone who is in good shape! (there is also the short walk that is not so difficult but also beautiful) We had made a reservation through internet in Nkuringo campsite. It is a very good campsite, very friendly staff, good food and the accomodation in our tent had a wonderful view on the vulcano. You can make astonishing beautiful pictures from the campsite. There are also banda's and they where building new cottages(who are by now finished) that where very nice! It is also very good for birdwatching on the campsite. We did also a boattrip on Mutanda lake with the same guide we had on the walking safari. Nkuringo campsite is remote but that is what we liked the most, there you can still see the real life of Uganda! The owner would do everything to please you and puts a lot of effort to work together with the local people. Thank you Robert for a very nice time in your campsite, good luck!!! Peter and Dominique from Belgium

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank BelgiumDominique
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2009

My son, his girlfriend and I visited Bwindi Impenetrable Forest to visit the mountain gorillas. We came to the Nkuringo Gorilla Campsite and Hammerkop Bunkhouse with a guide arranged by Robert and Lydia, walking through villages from Kisoro to Lake Mutanda and canoeing across Lake Mutanda. The setting of the Bunkhouse is spectacular. The next day, we trekked to visit the Nshongi group, seeing 16 of a group of 32, including 2 silverbacks, juveniles, babies, females, and blackbacks. It was an incredible experience. The forest itself was, indeed, impenetrable. The guide had to cut a path with a machete, and we were walking on a springy mat of vegetation several feet above the forest floor. As we returned, we were charged by a wild bull elephant; very dangerous, but exciting. All of us agreed it was the best experience of our lives.
Robert and Lydia also arranged the rest of our trip in Uganda and Rwanda, arranging for an excellent driver and guide, Emmanual Ntirenganya.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family