“Customer service par excellence!”

Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I have to mention the customer service and friendliness of the staff first. From the team at the booking office in Entebbe to the staff at the campsite, each of them was exceedingly helpful, cheery and friendly. I must make special mention of Lydia whose advice on the best ways to get to the camp an onward were invaluable and Ema for his careful driving and escorting us all the way across the border for our onward journey to Rwanda.

The camp works like clockwork, with the staff ensuring that we got to where we needed to be on time; allowing us to relax and enjoy our stay. The food was among some of the best meals that I have had in east-Africa. The tents in which we stayed were very warm and comfortable, and the showers always hot.

This place probably falls in the middle of the budget range and I would not recommend anywhere else if you are tracking the Nkuringo family and looking in this price range.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 17, 2013

getting there with your own car is hell. it took us 12 hours from kampala and the last 40 kms are the worst we had in the whole of uganda. it´s probably not even correct to call it a road, it is a path...which caused a flat tire 4 kms away from the camp...
other than that the camp is fantastic!! great food, great people, the gorillas are of course amazing, and we even enjoyed the dancing they did for us...
and, most important, they organized the gorilla tracking for us and everything worked out perfectly!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 11, 2013

After exhausting day, when we travelled 12 hours across the mountains from Ishasha to Kisoro, we didn't expect, that we will experinece another two hours of "car mountaineering" to this camp. It is quite far from Kisoro and the road is bad, so expect delays. But the location has its pros, because it is just a few steps from UWA post, where You will start Your gorilla tracking.
Camp itself is very nice. I would reccomend mainly the lazy camping, which is almost like cottage - huge massive tents with beds. Situated on the top of the hill with breathtaking view on the mountains is a real experience. Restaurant provides excellent meals and we really enjoyed common dinners with other guests. The place itself is very clean, staff is helpful and friendly and there is really nothing, I can complain at. Only the prices are quite high, but I think, that You will get what You pay for.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Booked my trip with Robert (the owner) via email and skype and it worked out perfectly. Everything went smoothly as soon as I landed in Uganda, drivers, guides, accommodation, all of it! The guides are great - especially Asigario (not sure on the spelling here) and Agatha, very enthusiastic, helpful, great English and never complained with all the hiking they do each week, and boy do they do alot! It was lovely to walk through the villages and not drive, where you can miss sooo much, especially the chameleons Agatha spotted on route.

Book with Nkuringo Walking Safaris and you will not regret it, Uganda is a must to put on the "bucket list".

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2013

We stayed in Nkuringo Gorilla Camp in the beginning of August 2013, as a family of three. Our long journey to the camp site began from Entebbe. It took about 14 hours, and my 11 years old son was sick all the way! However, Nkuringo's warm and proffessional driver-guide Patrick made the road easy and tolerable; his interest in my son's situation and efforts to make him comfortable gained our appreciation. Thanks once more dear Patric. We arrived at the campsite around 22:00 o'clock when it was completly dark. Everything was ready for us and it was surprising to see everybody was waiting for our arrival. They already knew about my son's sickness and prepared and excellent ginger tea for him. General atmosphere of the place is warm and quiet, bathrooms and toilets always clean, hot shower is hot:) and the meals are realy delicious; but the most important factor it differentiates Nkuringo Gorilla Camp is the dedicated people who works there and really interested in you. Tanks to Agatha, our walking safari guide, Ema, who drove us to Rwanda, and to the site manager (very sorry for not remembering your name) and all the staff who work in the kitchen and other parts of the camp. One more thing :) My son was a little exhausted after walking nearly 20 km. in two days and behaved bitterly while we were leaving; it seems a little bit disappointing, but later on he regretted very much for not leaving such wonderful place and people in a better mood. We plan to visit Uganda in the future when my son turns 15 and will have a permission to the Gorilla track.

Best wishes to all who plan to visit Bwindi

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I only had to email an enquiry to Robert via the website, to receive some of the most personal service from any organisation I have come across. Booking very short notice, Robert provided fantastic, quick, comprehensive responses via email and Skype!

Nkuringo gives you the opportunity to tailor make your trip to your needs, meet the locals through a local guide's eyes and travel independently of any other groups, it was just me and the guide!

The 3 day hike from Kisoro to Buhoma through Bwindi Forest with Everest the guide and trainee lady, Agatha was so insightful and fun made so by their obvious passion and enthusiasm.

At the Gorilla Camp Dora and her team looked after my needs impeccably, the cottage was a welcome retreat after the wet jungle with lovely en-suite hot bucket showers and large comfy bed waiting with hot water bottles. Three course meals delicious and filling.

The people of Uganda were extremely welcoming and the scenery just breathtaking, I would never have been able to visit some of the places I did without the local knowledge of NWS and would highly recommend a trip with them, they are a hidden gem in the jungle!

Room Tip: Two "honeymoon" cottages in own gardens, en-suite, terraces beautiful views overlooking mo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I don't know what I can say about the gorilla camp and Nkuringo Walking Safaris (NWS) that hasn't already been said by so many people before me on tripadvisor but as that they have just given me one of the best (or perhaps THE best) trip(s) of my life, I thought I should add my eternal thanks here to R (sorry R - I did promise to come up with a pseudonym so as to not embarrass you with the gushing but I couldn't think of a creative one after my 15 hour flight!), Lydia (partner/manager at NWS who is incredibly warm and helpful and has the most adorable little boy who I loved playing lego with), David (my wonderful driver/guide who took immaculate care of me during my trip), Betty, Irene (both wonderful hosts at the Entebbe guesthouse and brilliant co-ordinators of my trip), and the rest of the amazing team at the gorilla camp and NWS.

First, on NWS. NWS are the first/only tour operator I have ever asked to help with any of my travel arrangements. I am usually fairly biased against tour operators as I often think (rightly or wrongly) that the trips planned by tour operators would be more prosaic and less flexible compared to independent self-planned travel. At first, I was only intending on asking for trip ideas from R rather than asking for his help to plan my entire itinerary but R, Lydia and the NWS team so impressed me from the outset with their knowledge of Uganda and were so incredibly helpful and responsive that it didn't feel like I was going with a tour operator at all - it felt a little like a friend (albeit a very professional and slick one) was helping me with my trip. NWS ticks all the boxes by being both a very professional operator as you would expect from the best tour companies (I would imagine) but also on the other hand being very personal and flexible. For e.g. R and his amazing team took the time to get to know me and my budget and personalised my trip accordingly. I was also very impressed by how transparent the pricing was - prices were fair and broken down in a spreadsheet for me (I love my spreadsheets!). There was a lot of back-and-forth as my ideas developed along the way and NWS were unbelievably patient, accommodating and flexible, which made my trip planning and trip an absolute dream.

One of my favourite things about travelling is getting to know a country as intimately as I possibly can. For instance, this would include trying all sorts of local food/home-cooked food (if possible!), seeing how the locals live and study and just the minutiae of everyday life in the country. Therefore interspersed with safari/trekking activities, my trip also included ad hoc visits to lots of local markets, wandering about local towns/villages/schools, local banana gin and beers many evenings with David and his mates, lots of local food (street/home-cooked/restaurants) and a fantastic last night out in Entebbe town at the "Platform" having yummy food and dancing at the Trap (a local bar). I don't think I would have had as much fun or as many fascinating conversations as I would have done if I had not planned my trip through NWS. David, R and Lydia became more like friends to me and really opened up their homes and the country to me. I was a little nervous at the beginning being a girl travelling on my own in a country unknown to me but David took immaculate care of me throughout. Each time I wanted to try/see something off the beaten track, all I had to do was to mention it and he would do his very best to make it happen for me, which I am so grateful for.

While I appreciate that my idea of a trip of a lifetime might be different to that of other people's, I thought that my trip was testament to how much each person at NWS goes out of his/her way to make your trip YOUR trip of a lifetime (and no two trips would be the same in terms of the detail). I am incredibly grateful to everyone at NWS for that.

Secondly and finally, the gorilla camp was the best place I stayed in on my trip. Other than what others have mentioned re the wondrous views of the forest from the lazy camping site, the touching attention to detail (for e.g. hot water bottles) which differentiate the camp, my absolute favourite distinguishing factor about the camp is how intimate and friendly it is. After two nights there, everyone from the staff to the guides to the tourists all inexplicably become good friends. It was so collegiate that it felt like being back at school again (in the best way possible!). This is a quality utterly unique to the gorilla camp. The only potential downside to that of course is that there's so much to do and so many people to speak to that you may not get the same early nights as you do in other places on safaris. During my stay, a bunch of us were up till the early hours drinking and playing card games which made the early trekking the next morning a little painful! I should also add that even though the vibe is incredibly friendly and relaxed, it is in no way a backpacker (or even a boutique backpacker) sort of place. It has more of a boutique lodge sort of feel and that is evident from the high quality of the staff, the wonderful food and the excellent facilities (best showers I had during my trip).

So this review is really to thank all at NWS and to let them know that I came back to the UK kicking and screaming. I am already planning my next trip to Uganda!

Room Tip: I was travelling alone so I stayed in the single person's lazy camping tent. The bed was very co...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo