Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Gorilla Safari Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
  • Breakfast included
Silverback Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
  • Restaurant
  • Breakfast included
Savannah Resort Hotel(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
All reviewsgorilla lodgegorilla groupgolden monkeynkuringo familyhot water bottleseast africarift valleygreat companyvery special placeremote arealocal groupbeautiful sceneryan amazing experienceonce in a lifetimesinging and dancinghour hikeworth the effort
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Our 3 night stay at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp was the highlight of our Uganda adventure. We hiked to the camp from Buhoma, which took about 8 hours, but was an incredible day trip. Upon arrival to the camp we were completely exhausted, but soon regained our energy when we saw the place. Dora and all of the staff that work at the camp are beautiful, friendly and make you feel like a friend immediately. The place is impeccably clean and comfortable. We stayed in one of the rooms in the Virunga Terrace, which also had great views of the distant volcanoes. We had a very comfortable king size bed. Every night, while we ate dinner, staff would place two hot water bottles between the sheets, which was like a piece of heaven for sore and aching muscles.
Choice of accommodation at the camp include 2 separate ensuite cottages, which are absolutely beautiful inside and had private porches great for relaxing on; the Virunga Terrace is 6 individual rooms, beautifully decorated, each with a separate sitting area outside each room (I believe that two of the virunga rooms have king size beds and four have twin beds); and tents (with actual beds) which are located on a hill and had magnificent views. There are two shower rooms (with sinks), 2 eco-toilets and an outdoor sink. They are located a short walk from the tents and Virunga Terrace rooms. Hot water for the showers was available upon request. Water pressure was good. There is a charging station when the generator is on, which was usually in the evening. There are solar panels that charge batteries all day which supply a light source for the rooms when it gets dark. Lanterns are placed throughout the walkways for ease of walking in the dark to the bathrooms and getting to the rooms. Laundry service was offered, which was great after trekking.
The camp is very close to the ranger station where the briefing is held prior to heading out to trek the gorillas. We trekked the Nkuringo Gorilla group which was without a doubt the most surreal experience we have ever had. Four silverbacks were in the group, and at least 8 other members, including young gorillas! It only took us about 1.5 hours to locate the gorillas and the walk was mostly downhill. Coming back took a little longer as it was uphill and we also stopped to have a lunchbreak. We were pretty tired as the day before we had done the 8 hour hike from Buhoma to Nkuringo, but never felt rushed and the group just moved at a nice easy pace.
The Nkuringo Village touched our hearts. We visited the library and dropped off some books and colouring supplies, which were gratefully accepted. The children read us a story and walked with us as we toured the village area. We watched as the men worked on the new primary school and got the story of the plans they have for expanding the school. We gave the community some new soccor balls (they call them footballs) and then walked to the Top of the World Football field and watched the local team having a scrimmage game. Everyone we met was so friendly and welcoming.
A group of children came to the camp to sing and dance for the guests. What a treat that was! They were so talented and invited us to dance with them - that was great fun! We purchased beautiful baskets, woven by the local ladies, in the craft shops. We practiced walking with the baskets on our heads, after our walking guide Asgario showed us some tricks of the trade. Even with practice we were not good at that!
Robert and Lydia, from Nkuringo Walking Safaris, who also helped create our Uganda itinerary, have created an atmosphere of harmony at the camp. The staff were so nice and it was so evident that they enjoy working there. Food was good and there was always coffee, tea and dessert out in the dining area. The beer was cold (always important!). A campfire every night, put together by Nester, was something to look forward to, where we would sit around and chat with the staff, other tourists and our fabulous driver, Frances, who took such good care of us for 17 days.
One night we had dinner with 2 sisters travelling from the USA. One of the girls was celebrating her birthday and after dinner all of the staff came into the dining room, each holding a candle and with a fresh baked cake, and sang Happy Birthday to her. Of course we all joined in and had so much fun! It was very special.
We were sorry to leave the camp and wished that we had planned a longer stay.
We highly recommend the Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. Any of the accommodation choices would be good. We hope one day to return, but it will definitely be for a longer visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waterlogged23
Reviewed June 3, 2013

My stay at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp was sensational. From the initial contact via emails to the final farewell, the service was exceptional. The staff were so incredibly friendly and helpful. The camp is gorgeous, with the most stunning views over the valley. Rob's help and advice was wonderful. It is rare to find someone in Africa who is so unconditionally giving of so much valuable information. This is all before I even mention the amazing gorillas and hiking through Bwindi. Just an incredible experience. Thank you so much to the team for making it so memorable.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Returnt0sender
Reviewed May 27, 2013

OMG!! Words fail me when i try to describe my stay at Nkuringo gorilla camp.
it was a long drive up and down the hills; not on the best of roads and the heavy down pour wasn't helping much, however, all this was forgotten once i got to the camp.
The moment the car pulled up in the drive way, there were staff waiting to welcome us with umbrellas, to lead us into the dining room for cups of coffee/tea on the house (this is always there and on the house-really helps with the cold). this was the start of formidable hospitality.
the staff are the most polite, friendly and yet professional that i have come across. Everast and his stories around the camp fire or charcoal stove, Agatha, Sharon, Rosemary forever so helpful
ROB oh! Rob!!!!!!! his attention to detail is unmatched. given that i don't usually travel much, i was ill prepared for the holiday but whatever i needed and didn't have, Rob provided. he let me borrow, walking shoes, rack sack, rain jacket, sweater.... i cant say thank you enough.
the nyiragongo cottage where i was sleeping is comfortable, spacious and beautifully put together in African decor. the photos of the gorillas on the walls cant go unmentioned. am forever grateful for the hot water bottles in the bed at night-these really came in handy-the temperatures in kisoro are a bit low
the camp is located in a remote area with no water and electricity but the innovation is top notch. solar batteries are provided for lighting in the rooms, a generator is run for charging gadgets and lanterns are dotted on the walk ways to provide light in the night.
and the time came to go gorilla tracking. everyone needs to do this. you have not lived if you haven't tracked mountain gorillas. the walk into the forest is tiresome but totally worth it. the gorillas are amazing, the way the silver-back protects his family (like any responsible father would) they're so like human beings.
i really enjoyed my stay at the camp and would recommend it to anyone travelling to see mountain gorillas, for forest walks or just taking time off to relax.
Rob and Lydia, thanks for a job well done. the sky is the limit.

Room Tip: if you can afford it, i would recommend the cottages.. the campers however have a good view of the rain forest...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I really loved Nkuringo Gorilla Camp, the facilities were top notch, from the hot showers to the camp fire, food and snacks, i felt at home with the treatment and friendliness of everyone around. Robert and Lydia were so much fun, jolly and always made sure we got that smile and . The Camp had maginificent views of the Bwindi gorilla forest, Nyiragongo volcanoes, DRC ranges and the the great Rift valley. We got chance ride on a dugout canoe across lake Mutanda which was well endowed with islands and views of the Muhavura, Mgahinga and Sabinyo ranges. I enjoyed my gorilla trekking adventure over the weekend and i must say it was the best adventure trip i had ever had....pretty strainous but worth it after you get to see the famous Mountain gorillas
Overall i enjoyed my stay at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp and would recommend anyone traveling to Bwindi for gorilla tracking or in need of a walking tour in Bwindi to use the camp as a base.

Room Tip: The Nyiragongo Room faces the DRC and the has good views of the Volcanoes
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Wakozi chan! I cannot express enough the gratitude I have for both Rob and Lydia from Nkuringo Walking Safaris for helping create such a great itinerary and taking care of the planning, logics, lodging, drivers, permits, etc. for my time in Rwanda/Uganda. Their attention to detail was unmatched, and everyone affiliated with Nkuringo Walking Safaris was professional, kind, knowledgeable, helpful and generally enjoyable in every way. Uganda was wonderful, and certainly the highlight of my entire trip was tracking both the Kahungye and Nkuringo gorilla groups. I had the very good fortune of speaking with Rob before I set off on my 18 day adventure in East Africa, and in addition to helping me plan a stellar itinerary in Southwest Uganda, he also took the time to help me plan the rest of my trip in neighboring Tanzania/Zanzibar, and made priceless suggestions about local flights that allowed me to optimize the meager amount of days I had to travel. In all, I spent 6 days in this region hiking Mt. Sabinyo, tracking golden monkeys, and observing the Kahungye and Nkuringo gorilla groups.

The drivers from Nkuringo Walking Safaris, Emma, and his brother Ernest, deftly and safely navigated the difficult 4x4 roads in their taxi sedans, and accommodated my many requests to stop for a photo op and to tune in to some local radio (they broadcast some great tunes from Kisoro - on Fridays the DJ imbibes live on air, and is comical even if you don’t speak the local Lufumbira languge). When I arrived at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp, Dora immediately greeted us and showed us around the beautiful compound. As other’s have mentioned, it is extremely comfortable and clean, and I found the food to be very good, including the box lunches they prepare for the treks into the jungle. I guess it’s all about expectations, but it was above and beyond what I expected (especially considering there is no electricity in the small town). They do have a generator that they will turn on for charging your electronics if you request, but try to arrange this only when absolutely necessary and when others have things to charge too as it disrupts the tranquility of the camp. And they will gladly prepare warm water for your shower, but have to admit, I felt a little guilty taking a hot shower, especially after seeing lots of women and kids on the road returning from the well with heavy canisters of water perfectly balanced on their heads.

Last but certainly not least, Adolph served as my local guide, providing very friendly guidance, knowledge and accompaniment. His love of nature is apparent (I caught him reading up on birds in his spare time), and I enjoyed having someone to share the experiences with and bounce questions off of.

Also worth mentioning is that it’s clear that Nkuringo Walking Safaris is about much more than just providing incredible activities for tourists; the business is modeled so that it directly benefits the entire Kisoro community by supporting/creating local employment, and very importantly, makes the conservation of the natural resources in the area, including the golden monkey and mountain gorillas, a profitable and sustainable effort. There’s even a library in Nkuringo that the camp maintains.

I highly recommend staying a couple nights at Nkuringo Gorrila Camp, and would even say adjust your trip if necessary to make sure you fit it in! When you go, don’t miss catching a pick-up game of football (soccer) on the pitch they call the “top of the world.” Your perspective will truly be broadened after visiting this place!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo