Wakozi chan! I cannot express enough the gratitude I have for both Rob and Lydia from Nkuringo Walking Safaris for helping create such a great itinerary and taking care of the planning, logics, lodging, drivers, permits, etc. for my time in Rwanda/Uganda. Their attention to detail was unmatched, and everyone affiliated with Nkuringo Walking Safaris was professional, kind, knowledgeable, helpful and generally enjoyable in every way. Uganda was wonderful, and certainly the highlight of my entire trip was tracking both the Kahungye and Nkuringo gorilla groups. I had the very good fortune of speaking with Rob before I set off on my 18 day adventure in East Africa, and in addition to helping me plan a stellar itinerary in Southwest Uganda, he also took the time to help me plan the rest of my trip in neighboring Tanzania/Zanzibar, and made priceless suggestions about local flights that allowed me to optimize the meager amount of days I had to travel. In all, I spent 6 days in this region hiking Mt. Sabinyo, tracking golden monkeys, and observing the Kahungye and Nkuringo gorilla groups.
The drivers from Nkuringo Walking Safaris, Emma, and his brother Ernest, deftly and safely navigated the difficult 4x4 roads in their taxi sedans, and accommodated my many requests to stop for a photo op and to tune in to some local radio (they broadcast some great tunes from Kisoro - on Fridays the DJ imbibes live on air, and is comical even if you don’t speak the local Lufumbira languge). When I arrived at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp, Dora immediately greeted us and showed us around the beautiful compound. As other’s have mentioned, it is extremely comfortable and clean, and I found the food to be very good, including the box lunches they prepare for the treks into the jungle. I guess it’s all about expectations, but it was above and beyond what I expected (especially considering there is no electricity in the small town). They do have a generator that they will turn on for charging your electronics if you request, but try to arrange this only when absolutely necessary and when others have things to charge too as it disrupts the tranquility of the camp. And they will gladly prepare warm water for your shower, but have to admit, I felt a little guilty taking a hot shower, especially after seeing lots of women and kids on the road returning from the well with heavy canisters of water perfectly balanced on their heads.
Last but certainly not least, Adolph served as my local guide, providing very friendly guidance, knowledge and accompaniment. His love of nature is apparent (I caught him reading up on birds in his spare time), and I enjoyed having someone to share the experiences with and bounce questions off of.
Also worth mentioning is that it’s clear that Nkuringo Walking Safaris is about much more than just providing incredible activities for tourists; the business is modeled so that it directly benefits the entire Kisoro community by supporting/creating local employment, and very importantly, makes the conservation of the natural resources in the area, including the golden monkey and mountain gorillas, a profitable and sustainable effort. There’s even a library in Nkuringo that the camp maintains.
I highly recommend staying a couple nights at Nkuringo Gorrila Camp, and would even say adjust your trip if necessary to make sure you fit it in! When you go, don’t miss catching a pick-up game of football (soccer) on the pitch they call the “top of the world.” Your perspective will truly be broadened after visiting this place!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge is situated on the South of Bwindi National Park with stunning views over Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, the magnificent Virunga Volcanoes and the Great Albertine Rift Valley. There are 12 individually hand-crafted cottages, each offering the tranquillity of the rainforest, the atmosphere of a mountain chalet and the warm hospitality Ugandans are known for. Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge prides itself on its green credentials and through its various initiatives including solar energy and rainwater harvesting proudly operates as a carbon neutral lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Jovago.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nkuringo Gorilla Camp Hotel Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge Uganda/Bwindi Impenetrable National Park