“What a great and relaxing place”

Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Just returned home from a great experience with Nkuringo, they for sure know how to make your stay the best possible and is from the driver that takes your there, to the chef (who makes amazing food), to the guides who knows everything about the area.

The best part is that it´s also very eco friendly, they are also very close to the Gorilla HQ, so you can walk down to the start of your Gorilla Treeking.

I can recommend this place highly, not only for the Gorilla Trek but also for arranging the rest of your trip around Uganda.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Boelt

Reviewed December 31, 2012

A fantastic experience based on gorilla tracking, wildlife with a very confortable hotel accomodation. All Nkuringo team is fantastic, professional and at the same time with a joyful approach (thanks to guides Augustine, Richard the organiser Lydia and all other smiling people). Uganda is a marvelous place with friendly people. The gorilla tracking is an experience to live personally for a long life memorie...

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gianluca187855
Reviewed November 29, 2012

My friend and I stayed there for our gorilla tracking. We had a room with two beds. The service was amazing as well as the food. The owner Robert was very helpful even after we had left the camp. The staff is attentive. The room smelled like flowers and the first night was really cold so one if the employee placed hot water bottled in our bed;). I'd stay there again if I go back to Uganda.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 26, 2012

In a remote but truly spectacular region of Uganda, Nkuringo Gorilla Camp is an oasis of comfort for travellers. Although my expectations were already high they were exceeded on every level. The food is superb and prepared in view of diners in the adjacent open-air kitchen with the soup provided for new arrivals and returning weary trekkers a real taste of home. The service was fantastic and nothing seemed to be too much trouble for the attentive staff team. Great care has been taken by the owners to try to think of everything visitors might need before the visitor has to ask even down to placing hot water bottles in the beds at night. The accommodation is by far the best that i encountered during my visit to Uganda and is also exceptionally good value for money.The setting is a beautiful hilltop site with uninterrupted 360 degree views which extend for miles around. Used the Nkuringo walking safari service and was amazed at the local knowledge of the walking guides who were good company, encouraging when the walking got tough and good fun throughout.

Room Tip: I stayed in top of range cottage which was superb but also viewed the other accommodation and even t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank mike h
Reviewed November 3, 2012

As a solo traveller planning for an adventure in early 2012 I spotted Nkuringo Walking Safaris online... A humble website with the promise of a more intimate and deeper connection with both Bwindi & the local communities surrounding the national park...

My ideal adventure means less cars, more walking, more interaction, more surprises, less automotive road travel, more locals, less 'mainstream' tourism .. . Nkuringo is the place.

Robert from the get go was totally interactive via email and phone, I was totally blown away by his customer service and enthusiasm - class. The whole process, from start to finish was organised by this man and his sidekick in Entebbe - Lydia. For the cost conscious this is definitely the way to travel without missing out on comfortable, reliable, safe, accommodation & travel options.

I visited early June 2012.

I can't truly explain how Nkuringo affected me, my vocabulary just can't do it justice. I stayed for 5 or so days, extending my stay here because I knew I had stumbled upon something unique, something extremely close to what my heart relates to. The staff, the vibe, the love... We made songs, we danced, we spoke of Gorilla, 'Da Bwindi, Football - 'are you arsenal or man u?" ... The children, walking through villages, THE FOOD - (steak, chicken, delicious, hearty serves, better than anywhere else in Uganda!), the stories, the smiles, the handshakes, political insight, crops of every kind, the mist, 'Bwindi Impenetrable National Park', the young Gorilla 'Tabu' who grabbed my arm, said hello and shared a leaf with me :)

What made this place special for me was the staff. Carol, Robert, Richard, Asgariyo, Everest(s), Herbert (how are those pigs man?), Dora, Nora, Resti from Rakai, Rosemary from Ruhuguri, Big Boscoe the Border Soldier, Adolf my man, Peri, and many more. The individual stories, just hanging out chatting about life, football, relationships, hopes for the future, great times....

My biggest tip for your trip, if you come to Nkuringo Gorilla Camp - TAKE YOUR TIME.

See the Gorillas, walk to Buhoma, see the other national parks, get back to Nkuringo.... Relax, meet the children, see the Gorillas, the Birdlife, the amazing rainforest, share a guinness and talk about football with the locals, play a game of pool in the (small & inviting) Nkuringo village, unwind and let yourself go. These people are amazing, the location is ridiculous, the memories will stay with me (and you) forever.

My warmest respect to all the folk who made my experience the best adventure of my life, it means more than words can say, I hope to return one day.

Love and best wishes

John
(Digi Digi Man)

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank DigiJohnDigi
Reviewed October 14, 2012

This is a great place to stay if you want good conversation, awesome food (smoked honey was my favourite as well as hot soup just like mamma makes). The gorillas were great too but then that's what you go to see. Everest the guide is perhaps the keenest birder ever to tread upon the hallowed earth and even tests you on what you have seen...or nearly seen. The volcanic panarama veiled now and again by mists and the rwenzori appearing on rare occasions make it a pretty magical place. Rob is very cool and always trying to help out. My flip flop even got fixed and that helped me walk again...not in the miracle way but you get my drift.

Room Tip: Look for one and you shall find one.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank funkymonkeyjunkie
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We loved our stay in Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. First we hiked from Buhoma to Nkuringo. It took us 5.5 hours which is quite fast, with a 500m steep ascent towards the end. We highly recommend this hike through Bwindi forest as this is a great introduction to the area. It took our driver 7 hours to drive around Bwindi and to meet us in Nkuringo. When we got there, we had a warm welcome by the staff camp. The rooms are lovely decorated and very clean. The food is excellent. There is hot water for shower. Possibility to charge electronics. Excellent organization and maintenance, and very friendly staff. If you have time you can walk around the community. The camp is 5 min walk from the ranger station for starting the gorilla tracking. Speaking of gorilla, it took us only 45 min walk to find them pretty much in the open on a slope, by a beautiful sunny morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo