As a solo traveller planning for an adventure in early 2012 I spotted Nkuringo Walking Safaris online... A humble website with the promise of a more intimate and deeper connection with both Bwindi & the local communities surrounding the national park...
My ideal adventure means less cars, more walking, more interaction, more surprises, less automotive road travel, more locals, less 'mainstream' tourism .. . Nkuringo is the place.
Robert from the get go was totally interactive via email and phone, I was totally blown away by his customer service and enthusiasm - class. The whole process, from start to finish was organised by this man and his sidekick in Entebbe - Lydia. For the cost conscious this is definitely the way to travel without missing out on comfortable, reliable, safe, accommodation & travel options.
I visited early June 2012.
I can't truly explain how Nkuringo affected me, my vocabulary just can't do it justice. I stayed for 5 or so days, extending my stay here because I knew I had stumbled upon something unique, something extremely close to what my heart relates to. The staff, the vibe, the love... We made songs, we danced, we spoke of Gorilla, 'Da Bwindi, Football - 'are you arsenal or man u?" ... The children, walking through villages, THE FOOD - (steak, chicken, delicious, hearty serves, better than anywhere else in Uganda!), the stories, the smiles, the handshakes, political insight, crops of every kind, the mist, 'Bwindi Impenetrable National Park', the young Gorilla 'Tabu' who grabbed my arm, said hello and shared a leaf with me :)
What made this place special for me was the staff. Carol, Robert, Richard, Asgariyo, Everest(s), Herbert (how are those pigs man?), Dora, Nora, Resti from Rakai, Rosemary from Ruhuguri, Big Boscoe the Border Soldier, Adolf my man, Peri, and many more. The individual stories, just hanging out chatting about life, football, relationships, hopes for the future, great times....
My biggest tip for your trip, if you come to Nkuringo Gorilla Camp - TAKE YOUR TIME.
See the Gorillas, walk to Buhoma, see the other national parks, get back to Nkuringo.... Relax, meet the children, see the Gorillas, the Birdlife, the amazing rainforest, share a guinness and talk about football with the locals, play a game of pool in the (small & inviting) Nkuringo village, unwind and let yourself go. These people are amazing, the location is ridiculous, the memories will stay with me (and you) forever.
My warmest respect to all the folk who made my experience the best adventure of my life, it means more than words can say, I hope to return one day.
Love and best wishes
(Digi Digi Man)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge is situated on the South of Bwindi National Park with stunning views over Bwindi Impenetrable Forest, the magnificent Virunga Volcanoes and the Great Albertine Rift Valley. There are 12 individually hand-crafted cottages, each offering the tranquillity of the rainforest, the atmosphere of a mountain chalet and the warm hospitality Ugandans are known for. Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge prides itself on its green credentials and through its various initiatives including solar energy and rainwater harvesting proudly operates as a carbon neutral lodge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Jovago.com, Priceline, Agoda, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nkuringo Gorilla Camp Hotel Bwindi Impenetrable National Park
- Nkuringo Bwindi Gorilla Lodge Uganda/Bwindi Impenetrable National Park