The Crested Crane Bwindi Hotel(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)(Great Value!)
$112
$105
Gorilla Safari Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
$325
$287
Silverback Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
$288
  • Free Internet
Gift of Nature Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
$151
Bwindi Forest Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)(Great Value!)
$76
Buhoma Community Haven Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
$261
  • Restaurant
Bwindi Backpackers Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)(Great Value!)
$16
  • Restaurant
Gorilla Valley Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)(Great Value!)
$83
  • Restaurant
The Engagi Lodge(Bwindi Impenetrable National Park)
$392
  • Restaurant
All reviewsgorilla lodgegorilla groupgolden monkeynkuringo familyhot water bottleseast africarift valleygreat companyremote areagorilla permitsuganda tripan amazing experiencelocal groupstunning viewstour operatoronce in a lifetimesoups
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We loved our stay in Nkuringo Gorilla Camp. First we hiked from Buhoma to Nkuringo. It took us 5.5 hours which is quite fast, with a 500m steep ascent towards the end. We highly recommend this hike through Bwindi forest as this is a great introduction to the area. It took our driver 7 hours to drive around Bwindi and to meet us in Nkuringo. When we got there, we had a warm welcome by the staff camp. The rooms are lovely decorated and very clean. The food is excellent. There is hot water for shower. Possibility to charge electronics. Excellent organization and maintenance, and very friendly staff. If you have time you can walk around the community. The camp is 5 min walk from the ranger station for starting the gorilla tracking. Speaking of gorilla, it took us only 45 min walk to find them pretty much in the open on a slope, by a beautiful sunny morning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank NCuendet
Reviewed October 6, 2012

We stayed at Nkuringo for 2 nights, before and after our gorilla trek.
After a long, dusty drive from QENP we were met by friendly staff and hot showers, followed by an enormous plate of delicious food. The hot water bottles in the bed were a lovely touch.
After a very strenuous gorilla trek, we were welcomed back by the staff, ready with hot water for showers and another delicious dinner.
Comfortable beds with amazing views (when the mist lifts!!)
Thanks to all the staff for a wonderful couple of days.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CadmansKent
Reviewed October 6, 2012

Stayed three nights in one of the two the en-suite cottages, and loved every minute of it! I used it as a base to visit the Nkuringo gorilla group (only a short five minute walk away through the town), as well as explore the surrounding hilly countryside and walk through Bwindi NP (a hiker's paradise). The staff at the camp were warm, friendly and very helpful. The meals are substantial and well cooked, and the dining room was set out to make it easy to meet other travellers and share stories. My cottage was lovely - very clean and homely.
Only other thing to mention is to bring an extra few layers as the camp is situated high up on a hill which means it can get a little colder at night, but the plus is that there aren't any mozzies!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank nalia81
Reviewed October 5, 2012

We stayed at the lodge recently while gorilla trekking in Bwindi National Park. We spent time with the Nkuringo group, which was a fantastic experience although a very strenuous hike. The staff at the lodge were incredibly hospitable, even insisting on cleaning our muddy shoes which got a workout on the rainy roads. Rooms were great and the food was very tasty. A great base for our gorilla trip.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Kerry M
Reviewed October 1, 2012

After two nights in Bwindi Forest, at wonderful Buhoma Lodge, I rode (with an excellent driver) for about 5 hours to Nkuringo Gorilla Camp on "challenging" roads (loosely used term) covered with mud, tree limbs, rocks and stones, through Bwindi Forest. Beautiful yes, but I wondered, "Will this drive be worth it?"

Arriving in cold, heavy rain, I had my answer: YES! A small group of staff met us at the parking area and accompanied me to the cabin, where biscuits (i.e.cookies to usAmericans!) and hot tea were set out. What a much-needed warm welcome!!This was followed by offer of massage (for aches from the bumpy ride) from Perry, one of several delightful, kind staff members.(I loved her story of walking through the woods and mountains, animals nearby, from Nkuringo to her home in another part of Bwindi Forest--like it's no big deal!) After dozing off, and brief nap, time for dinner: delicious food in an open- air dining room, rain on the roof above, group tables with great company of both staff and other visitors.

The next day, Asagario accompanied me on a walk through his village. You can't help but admire and be moved by his hard work, a genuine "labor of love" to make lives better for his family, friends, and all Nkuringo villagers, especially the children. This was a highlight of my trip to Uganda. Someone else wrote here on TA about Asagario's sense of humour. (Ask him to tell you what his name means! )To me, he seems quite serious, motivated, and with many ideas simultaneously and always going through his mind.

Thank you to the wonderful people there--Evarest, Asagario, Perry, Dora (hope I got that right!) and others, i am embarrassed to admit , whose names I've forgotten. I also met Matt Viner, the son of teachers in England who were so taken with the caring work they saw during a trip to Nkuringo, they set up a foundation to help. There are great photos of Nkuringo here: http://www.adepteducation.350.com/foundation.htm

For a chance to literally get off the beaten-track, and experience a beautiful place created by both Mother Nature and human beings, I recommend a stay at Nkuringo Gorilla Camp.

p.s. Next time, I'm going to do that hike from Buhoma to Nkuringo. It is probably easier, and faster, than driving!!! (-:

Room Tip: The Virunga Terrace rooms are new (or remodeled) , like a "motel" row of rooms, with shared bathrooms and showers slightly away from the room. I stayed in one of the two (I think) separate ensuite cabins--good sized room simply furnished, good bathroom, beautiful outdoor sitting area with a view toward the volcanic mountains ( too misty when I was there to see the peaks clearly--but still a beautiful view). You can have a hot shower in the cabin, but you have to ask for the hot water first!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo