“Not the best experience of Africa”

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I wonder if I was with a different Inkosi Africa to the other people who have reviewed this! There was three of us on the tour plus Richard the tour guide and owner of the company. We all agreed that, although we visited many wonderful places, the whole tour was totally disorganised. We wasted the whole of the first morning shopping in a supermarket for food to take to Kruger & having coffee in a shopping centre that could have been anywhere in the world. Timings for arriving and leaving places was not judged well so we arrived at St Lucia with one very short night, when there was a lot to discover there, and we were booked for two nights in really bad accommodation in Durban. We decided not to stay two nights but I was the one to find alternative accommodation and Richard refused to get the jeep out of the garage to take us out for a meal that evening. I had added on a trip to Victoria Falls in Zambia and had a phone call when I got home from the owners of the accommodation there to say Richard still hadn't paid them, when I had paid for everything 10 weeks before the trip. It gave me a taste for Africa which I will not forget but I would not travel with Inkosi tours again.

6  Thank SuzeyQ_20
Richard D, Guest Relations Manager at Inkosi Africa Tours and Safaris- Day Tours, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2013

To complain from behind the shield of anonymity when done on a public platform such as this is easy, yet unfair, when the ramifications are far reaching and one sided.
However it is our intention only to correct the inaccuracies and exaggerations – and try defend the ‘undefendable’.
For example - “we had coffee in a shopping mall that could be anywhere in the world”. Was the complaint the fact that we had coffee ? or was it that the venue was the same as anywhere in the world ? This is a criticism very difficult to defend.
Then why complain about the itinerary after the tour - which clearly states we stay one night in St Lucia (but now the complainant wants a two night stopover). She knew the itinerary (in detail) several months before the tour. Prior to the tour there were over 57 emails of correspondence so she had ample opportunity to express her opinion. This is also a very difficult criticism to defend.
Or perhaps the exaggeration – “we stopped for the whole morning to shop” – if, after a 6 hour drive from Johannesburg we enter the Kruger Park mid-afternoon, we can hardly have spent the whole morning shopping. Yes we stop just before entering Kruger Park to buy fresh meat for that night’s BBQ (many touring companies do exactly the same). And although we have a fridge/freezer in the vehicle we prefer to use fresh meat for a BBQ. In fact the only delay was by the complainant buying wine – which we were perfectly happy about.
To mention the one accommodation she didn’t like – yet expressed delight with the other venues (total of 15 nights) – seems to reflect a slightly biased assessment of the tours accommodation.
Then to say we refused to take the guests out for supper has no substance at all. No tour operator would make that decision. The decision not to go out for supper was done by consensus and based on the fact that everyone had had ‘a large late lunch’ and so weren’t hungry.
We paid for Victoria Falls (Zambia) after the client had stayed – the international payment was delayed by our bank and as soon as we were aware of it we sorted it out to everyone’s satisfaction.
Then to judge us as “disorganised” is vague and again unsubstantiated - so again very difficult to defend. Perhaps it’s because we have a relaxed and accommodating approach to guests’ needs and desires ? However we believe you are on holiday and so are made to feel it is your holiday.
This is not a ‘coach’ tour where the itinerary is necessarily rigid and structured with a strict timetable. It gives us the freedom to literally 'bend over backwards' to accommodate clients desires at any time – which is why we are so appreciated and reflected by our return business and that clients who have travelled with us over 10 years ago still keep in contact.
For example, we stayed an extra morning at one town so one of the clients (from Australia) could meet an old friend they hadn’t seen for many years, and on another occasion we stayed an extra morning at another venue so she (the complainant) could have a whole morning horse riding … there are many more examples. (However all decisions/changes to the itinerary are done by consensus). Perhaps that could be classed as disorganised ?
In which case - we will remain disorganised.
On tour you have a choice – you can either decide to enjoy it or you can decide not to enjoy it – you either look for the positives or you look for the negatives. Whatever you look for - you will find.
Those reading this can make their own judgement.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

My wife and I just finished a four day trip to Kruger with Inkosi Africa tours. Richard was really great and became a friend as much as a guide. My wife and I could not have asked for a better person to take us on this trip. He was organized, knew so much about Kruger Park and South Africa to help us to truly understand the country, the people and the Park. His in depth knowledge of the animals, birds and reptiles of the park were wonderful to hear about. We wouldn't hesitate to do another tour with Inkosi Africa Tours and Richard. Eric and Carol Muir, Vancouver, BC, Canada

3  Thank lauracyrus
Reviewed November 16, 2012

A few years ago I met Richard from Inkosi Africa Tours on a trip I was doing with three friends. From the first moment he struck us as a very warm, friendly and funny guy. He told us about his company "Inkosi Africa" and invited us to do a tour with him in South Africa the next year. So we did, and it became an experience of a lifetime. Richard took us on a two weeks journey through his beautiful country. He showed us everything there is to see. We drove from Johannesburg via Swaziland and Lesotho to Cape Town. Richard is very passionate about his country and the wildlife, very knowledgeable and always friendly and funny. Inkosi Africa Tours (and especially Richard) made this tour one of the best I have ever made in my 40 years of travel history. I can recommend this to everyone.
Eddy, Belgium

4  Thank evda
Reviewed November 1, 2012

A group of four went with Inkosi Africa Tours and Safaris for a 5 day trip to Swaziland, Kruger National Park, Tshukudu Private Game Preserve, and other places. The trip was well organized, an exceptional experience (we all said it was the best trip we had ever had!), and Richard was the most fun and informative guide imaginable! Highly recommended.

4  Thank JanefromUSA