“Not up to four star grading”

Diaz Surrey Street Hotel
Ranked #35 of 57 Randburg B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 25, 2013

With a four star rating I expected far more from this hotel. On arrival nobody helped me with my bags to my room. The welcome letter in my room had my name completely incorrectly spelt. The person's letter who had previously stayed in my room was still lying around. The TV was an old TV and none of the satellite stations were working. There isnt even a remote control. This looks like an old block of flats that has been converted into a hotel. Very disappointing.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank miephenk

Reviewed June 14, 2013

So the place is not inviting from the outside and quite frankly I was taken aback when we entered the reception area - very nice set up with friendly smiling staff. A work group used this venue for goal setting. The conference room is big enough and we had plenty space, plenty mint sweets :-) and plenty water. The decor is a bit staid and can do with a modern facelift, most of the floor space is carpeted. The ablution facilities is spotlessly clean, restaurant staff are very friendly and efficient. The biggest upside was the lunch - we opted for a buffet style menu and it was really delicious and quite a variety of different dishes to select from. We also served ourselves and there was plenty. Not a bad venue for a private dinner party or birthday celebration.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Lucrecia1511
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Let me start with the positives: Friendly staff (one even took me to a nearby shopping mall and picked me up again at the agreed upon time). Bedroom and bedding - clean. Nice bathroom with both a bath and a shower. As this was a business trip, I stayed for three nights - so it meant 3 times breakfast. The food was enough, but boring. No one offered eggs differently than the already dry fried eggs, and the choice of fruit was limited. BUT on the last morning their was fresh fruit salad and bananas! I only had one dinner in the restuarant (I was the only person to be served!). Again, friendly staff, but the food - well I could get more value for the same price elsewhere, and the malva pudding was dry!. In the room there was an old TV, and for the normal SABC channels not a problem, but on the hotel's list it indicated many channels that was not available. (Kyknet was on the list - not available; MTN was on the list, I could view, with no sound. But I think what bothered me the most was the dangerous lifts (elevators). On the first evening, when I came back at 8pm, I got into the lift, but the door did not want to open on the 2nd floor. I tried to ring the bell - but nothing happened. I pressed the button to go the ground floor, and with relief I stepped out. I told the person at reception about the problem, and the answer was: Try the other lift. The next morning after breakfast I had to calm other guests who could not get from the first floor to the second floor (same problem), but at least I knew to go to the ground floor and get into the other lift! I reported it again, and I just feel the response was too casual. "Ok, I think we should service the lifts again." Will I stay there again? Yes I will, because I think all in all it was not too bad, and it is close to the offices that I have to go to!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Logymurray
Reviewed January 24, 2013

Not very prepossessing from the outside - it just looks like an office building. Close to businesses but a bit away from the tourist action. Not a bad thing on a business trip.

Friendly staff. Rooms large and airy. Good air con. Food plentiful but a bit boring.

Quiet nights sleep which, again, is what you need when you're on business.

Wifi appeared to be working, especially in rooms. Not exactly seamless as you move around the hotel but you can work around that.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 2, 2012

This was my first stay at an boutique hotel. As a guest of hosts, I did not have to pay for my one night stay so cannot comment on questions of value for money.

The hotel is used primarily by business people and it is here that I had my biggst problem - the internet. The hotel highlights the offer of compimentary internet as an attraction - most South African hotel charge for internet. Mine didn't work despite 40 minutes of doing everything I could think of including reseting the modem in the room. I was told by the front desk staff that that floor (1st above ground) did have a problem and suggetsed that I try in the lobby. This worked but it was not a place to do work with a laptop balanced on your lap. No desk or business center in this hotel - so don't expect to print boarding passes. At one stage a man walked past and asked if all was well (he did not introduce himself and was casually dressed) and I told him about the internet not working in my room. He acknowldeged there was a problem and that the technician would be coming in to sort it out - on another day. What he did not know is that my hosts had used the hotel months before for another guest and the internet was not working then either! As I was only there one night I put up with it.

The staff were very polite and friendly, check in and out was swift. There is a restaurant on site but I did not eat at the hotel. There was complimentary filter coffee available in the bar / restuarant.

My room was huge and the bathroom really massive and well appointed. I had to search for soap - htere was none but I did find some shower gel. There was only one power outlet accessible in the room. The aircon/ heating wall unit uses another outlet located at floor level and there is a standing lamp next to it, but you either have the or the lamp on but not both.

The settee had really bad stains on the one arm rest, but the rest of the room was clean and comfortable. The impression is that the owners should take a close inspection of their hotel and see it through the eyes of guests. I wouldn't stay there again in a hurry.

Room Tip: Immediately on arrival verify that the internet is working in the room and if not get them to give y...