“Superlative” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grosvenor House - London
Hotel Meurice - Paris
The Excelsior - Florence
The Krasnapolsky - Amsterdam

All have special attributes. None of the above have the quality of service, care, comfort and personal response to clients needs that you will find at Burkleigh House. If you are in Johannesburg for business or pleasure you really have to stay here.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roshni N

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2011

Wonderful hostess and host! Couldn't have asked for more. Would recommend this fantastic B&B to anyone visiting Johannesburg. The pictures do justice to the experience but, cannot convey how warm and genuine the hosts are. As foreigners in a strange land we felt welcomed, safe and extremely comfortable.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Burkleighhouse_10, Owner at Burkleigh House, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Wow, what a wonderful compliment. Thank you so much. We at Burkleigh House have enjoyed all the amazing people we have met from all over the world and feel most blessed to have met such special and warm people from Australia.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

A luxurious and posh hotel. Rooms are huge; beddings are of high quality. Service is excellent (e.g. cleaning, breakfast, lanudry services). The large garden was charming and well-maintained. The owner sometimes organises cosy barbecues.

One of the best hotels I have ever stayed in my fifteen years of travelling . A stay there is an experience on its own...

(No in-room telephones though. So if you've a business conference call, you'll need to use your mobile phone.)

Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Burkleighhouse_10, Owner at Burkleigh House, responded to this review, May 25, 2011
Thank you for your kind words. We so enjoyed having you stay and it was always a joy to hear your ringing laughter in the mornings. We have had such special guests staying which makes our job such a pleasure.
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed at Burkleigh House for 8 nights when visiting friends in Johannesburg. When I arrived, the first thing that amazed me was just how beautiful the gardens were. Really stunning, even though I am not a gardener myself. You can see that a lot of time and effort has gone into making the gardens spectacular.
My room was beautiful, the antique furniture is really something special. Good size bed, lovely bathroom with a great shower. The security is excellent, and I certainly felt safe during my stay.
The little things that make a big difference are what makes Burkleigh House special. Like having really good quality sheets and towels. And, for example, when I asked for more little milk pots in my room (as I am British and rely on my cup of tea in the morning!) a whole carton was provided for me. The kitchenette was very handy as you have a sink and fridge to use. Room 1 had a small balcony that overlooked a beautiful fountain in the middle of the drive and also the swimming pool. I could then step out straight into the gardens and through to the main building.
Breakfast was served at my convenience every morning and the food was very good. I could ask for pretty much anything I wanted and I'm sure it would have been provided.

All of the staff were very helpful and went out of their way to assist me. However, Patricia and David, the owners of Burkleigh House, were particularly brilliant. They were so friendly and treated me like a friend in their house as opposed to the feeling you would get in a huge hotel chain. Any questions I had, or suggestions on what to visit during my stay, they were always close by to help me out. Genuinely lovely people who care about their beautiful house and gardens, and are determined to make you feel welcome during your stay.
I will certainly be returning to Burkleigh House, I just hope I can stay for longer next time!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Burkleighhouse_10, Owner at Burkleigh House, responded to this review, December 4, 2010
It is certainly heart warming to read such a lovely review. This makes all the months of really hard work and worry seem insignificant. The most special part of owing a guest house is meeting all the really warm and wonderful people that come from all over the world and who all love this country in which we are so very fortunate to live. Thank you so much for this generous review.
Ekurhuleni
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2010

Very convenient to all Johannesburg amanities, highways and the airport. Exceptionally stylish, well-appointed and comfortable. Grounds and gardens beautiful and very relaxing. Hosts were most accomodating and helpful offering good advice and recommended worthwhile tourist destinations. Excellent breakfast, really tasteful and filling. Room we stayed in was beautifully furnished, very comfortable bed, spacious bathroom and international television service. Highly recommended, we will stay here again when next in Johannesburg. Great value for money!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
JHB
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2010

My husband and I thouroughly enjoyed our short stay at Burkleigh House. The rooms are well furnised with elegant antiques yet very comfortable. The food is great and the hosts are warm and friendly too.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2010

I loved it! Just what you want from a luxury guesthouse. Friendly service, great people running the show, very tasty home cooked fresh food. Beautiful cape dutch furniture, I really enjoyed spending time in the lounge next to the fire place, warm and cozy, playing many games of chess with an antique chess set. Coffee was great to! Rooms are spacious, very comfortable beds, extremely clean, Free Wi-Fi internet. All my colleagues have booked again for our next business trip. I recommend you do the same when visiting Joburg on business or pleasure, you won't be disappointed. Well done to your team, we were all impressed.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business