Drove out of Johannesburg for a spa weekend getaway and spent one night at Mount Grace in Dec 2010. This was my third trip to their spa and over the years it has stayed a wonderful, relaxing environment barely 1 hr out of town. You can easily just have a few treatments and spend the rest of the day in the hydro garden, great spa bistro or just relaxing on the loungers and drive back to Joburg in the afternoon. The spa offers a good choice of treatments, wonderful therapists and a great selection of beauty products available for purchase. The only two areas requiring improvement in my opinion are: one of the bath robe’s lining was quite badly torn and prior client confirmation that they are comfortable with a male therapist.
The hotel has beautiful gardens and our room was a short walk away from reception. The room was a bit on the small size but otherwise great: very comfortable bed, your own coffee machine, large LCD TV, fantastic water pressure. The main hotel area is great to relax in with a cappuccino and pass the afternoon paging through some of the books scattered around the hotel’s sitting areas. The afternoon snacks we ordered on the veranda were also impeccably cooked.
The part that let the overall stay down was the included dinner at their fine dining restaurant. The overall vibe was pretentious and a bit on the creepy side. The service was very laid back and the actual food was really disappointing except for one of the desserts. Even overlooking the limited menu selection, the tiny portion sizes or the pricing, the food served was simply not designed or cooked up to standard. In retrospect, I think we would have been happier with dinner at their Twist restaurant which has much more of a friendly, welcoming and relaxing feel.
Overall a wonderful spa stay but skip the Rambling Vine Restaurant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just one hour's drive from Johannesburg or Pretoria, the exclusive famed African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa is a timeless gem where luxury and peace are in abundance. Oozing old world charm but boasting modern opulence, our hotel in Magaliesburg, South Africa is the perfect retreat for team building, conferences and relaxed weekend getaways away from the hustle and bustle of city life. The picturesque country house started life as a private residence and farmhouse and has hosted a number of dignitaries and A-list visitors over the years. Located on a hillside with unspoilt views of the valley and boasting some ten acres of manicured gardens as well as pristine bushveld, the sprawling property is a balm for the city weary soul. Take a leisurely drive along country roads or land in a helicopter. While at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, indulge in good food, fine wines and relaxing spa treatments in the award winning Mount Grace Spa. Our TEAM prides itself on creating a home away from home for all our GUESTS, where time stands still, allowing you to enjoy that rare opportunity of complete relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets and Hotwire so you can book your African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Grace Country House Hotel Magaliesburg
- Mount Grace Country House And Spa
- Mount Grace Country Hotel
- Mount Grace Country Magaliesburg