Our two night weekend trip was most enjoyable and relaxing - certainly fitted the de-stress bill that we were wanting. The villa was a real treat, luxurious and with attention to detail like a square plug for international visitors fitted into the wall, underfloor heating in the bathroom and gas-fire place in the lounge. The Spa was an absolute indulgence, with experienced and pleasant staff. Golf carts move you to and from your villa and didn't take long to arrive when required. There were however quite a number of smallish issues that could be improved, to make this a top destination in South Africa.
The Twist restaurant is rather like a canteen, with a tiled 'country kitchen' floor and orange striped wallpaper. It lacks any ambience or intimacy. Buffet style food was sometimes lukewarm and dry,
also our table cloth was not clean. We chose to change to the Rambling Vine Restaurant on the second evening which had much more sophistication and an a la carte menu. Our inexperienced but very obliging waiter had no idea what we were talking about when we tried to order cognac, so had to call someone else to assist.
The water is hard, like most places in South Africa, and it was disappointing therefore that there was no bath salts or bath oil on offer considering the price and style of the villas.
A sumptuous and delicious breakfast was on offer with much variation to suit all tastes. Again I have a 'but': only brown and white bread, no healthy wholewheat or seed bread. No marmalade on the buffet and the waiter had no idea what it was. Also the egg cooks seemed more involved with each other's funny stories than the eggs for their customers.
It is very convenient to have a light lunch at the Spa, but again it was surprising that a Spa should have no healthy wholewheat or seed bread alternative for their toasted sandwiches.
The staff varied from absolutely friendly, helpful and delightful to amateurish or aloof.
I really hope that these things are ironed out because Mount Grace is gorgeous and could be an eminent South African destination. We will go again for sure, in spite of the small things.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Just one hour's drive from Johannesburg or Pretoria, the exclusive famed African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa is a timeless gem where luxury and peace are in abundance. Oozing old world charm but boasting modern opulence, our hotel in Magaliesburg, South Africa is the perfect retreat for team building, conferences and relaxed weekend getaways away from the hustle and bustle of city life. The picturesque country house started life as a private residence and farmhouse and has hosted a number of dignitaries and A-list visitors over the years. Located on a hillside with unspoilt views of the valley and boasting some ten acres of manicured gardens as well as pristine bushveld, the sprawling property is a balm for the city weary soul. Take a leisurely drive along country roads or land in a helicopter. While at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, indulge in good food, fine wines and relaxing spa treatments in the award winning Mount Grace Spa. Our TEAM prides itself on creating a home away from home for all our GUESTS, where time stands still, allowing you to enjoy that rare opportunity of complete relaxation. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Priceline, Hotwire and Cheap Tickets so you can book your African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mount Grace Country House Hotel Magaliesburg
- Mount Grace Country House And Spa
- Mount Grace Country Hotel
- Mount Grace Country Magaliesburg