“Great place for a relaxing weekend”

African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
Venice
“Great place for a relaxing weekend”
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Our two night weekend trip was most enjoyable and relaxing - certainly fitted the de-stress bill that we were wanting. The villa was a real treat, luxurious and with attention to detail like a square plug for international visitors fitted into the wall, underfloor heating in the bathroom and gas-fire place in the lounge. The Spa was an absolute indulgence, with experienced and pleasant staff. Golf carts move you to and from your villa and didn't take long to arrive when required. There were however quite a number of smallish issues that could be improved, to make this a top destination in South Africa.

The Twist restaurant is rather like a canteen, with a tiled 'country kitchen' floor and orange striped wallpaper. It lacks any ambience or intimacy. Buffet style food was sometimes lukewarm and dry,
also our table cloth was not clean. We chose to change to the Rambling Vine Restaurant on the second evening which had much more sophistication and an a la carte menu. Our inexperienced but very obliging waiter had no idea what we were talking about when we tried to order cognac, so had to call someone else to assist.

The water is hard, like most places in South Africa, and it was disappointing therefore that there was no bath salts or bath oil on offer considering the price and style of the villas.

A sumptuous and delicious breakfast was on offer with much variation to suit all tastes. Again I have a 'but': only brown and white bread, no healthy wholewheat or seed bread. No marmalade on the buffet and the waiter had no idea what it was. Also the egg cooks seemed more involved with each other's funny stories than the eggs for their customers.

It is very convenient to have a light lunch at the Spa, but again it was surprising that a Spa should have no healthy wholewheat or seed bread alternative for their toasted sandwiches.

The staff varied from absolutely friendly, helpful and delightful to amateurish or aloof.

I really hope that these things are ironed out because Mount Grace is gorgeous and could be an eminent South African destination. We will go again for sure, in spite of the small things.

Room Tip: Best villa is 213, apart from the others and with its own little dam in front
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, June 16, 2014
Dear CarolineP

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review on your recent stay with us.

It is most encouraging to hear that your two night stay was most enjoyable and relaxing. I would also like to thank you for bringing up the issues such as the twist restaurant and its offering and would like to assure you that it has been discussed with the relevant department to ensure that the food quality is consistently up to our high standards.

We appreciate the fact that you will certainly be returning and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Bosele Mogamisi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (208)
south africa
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I suppose everybody who contributes to Tripadvisor by writing reviews after visiting a hotel , lodge etc, also reads reviews before visiting an establishment.
We were fortunate to have a conference, the past weekend at Mount Grace Country House and Spa.
Having read the latest reviews before we left, I was very shocked at the bad comments about this lovely place, which we had visited several times in the past, but not recently though. I always regarded it as one of the most peaceful and relaxing experiences and decided to take a very good and informed look at the hotel.
Upon arrival we were met by very friendly staff and promptly checked in. The gholf carts which are used to take guests and their luggage to and from the rooms are very effecive.
Our room was impeccable. I 'investigated' the room and found no flaws, the maintenace issue therefore not at all in question. The room(161) was large, fine linen on our kingsize bed, a huge bathroom with double vanity, large shower and a bath. There is a fan as well as an airconditioner. We also had a bar fridge, Nespresso coffemaker with enough pods, milk etc. The room also has a comfortable lounge area, an outside veranda with comfortable chairs and a beautiful clean plunge pool. Being winter, we could unfortunately not use the pool, but in summer it has to be sheer bliss.
The gardens and pools were all in a good state and the heated pool was wondefully warm, no wonder there were always someone in it whenever we passed.
We had our dinners at one of the conference venues. On both occasions the tables were beautifully decked and the food outstanding(loved the red velvet cake). Breakfast and lunch were served at Twist and was of outstanding quality with a great variety to choose from and even champaigne(MCC) available. The tables were beautifully set in white linen, with fine cutlery etc.
We ordered drinks from the bar and were served by friendly and prompt waiters, so no problem there either.
All the public spaces in the hotel were neat and tidy, with fresh flowers in just about every room.
We did not make use of the spa facility, but I walked there to have a look and everything looked excellent.
I love this peaceful place and can recommend it unconditionally!! It is so relaxing and very, very romantic!!

Room Tip: The luxury rooms with their own pools are excellent.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, June 5, 2014
Dear ritaSouthAfrica

What a pleasure to read your review.

Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to write this detailed review. It is greatly appreciated!

I have shared your wonderful comments with the TEAM and I wish you knew how much this means to us as we always strive to exceed our GUESTS expectations.

We cannot wait to welcome you back in the near future.

Heidelberg, South Africa
Reviewed May 21, 2014

From arrival the staff outdid themselves!

Although Mount Grace is NOT a wedding venue, we had asked if we could have the very small (us and 2 witnesses and 1 minister) and private ceremony. They accommodated us with beautifully bedecked chairs and tables, The short ceremony was held on the grass next to a rock pool with tumbling water – all perfectly done.We loved it!
It made our special day all the more special! And what a surprise for the upgrade to an even more beautiful room! Lovely!

We could not have asked for better. The officiating minister was inspired by tranquility of the garden and water – as were we!

The staff on the day were caring and accommodating and really in the spirit of the whole thing! Lovely Lebo and her “runners” were sensational. We also received a lovely card, accompanied by bubbly, signed by many of the duty staff. Very precious!

Mount Grace’s reaching out to us – especially as a non-wedding venue-, and touching our hearts so profoundly, could not be measured in monetary terms. It will long be remembered and treasured by us and all we share these memories with.

We hope to return often to re-live the memories and warmth of this establishment and its staff.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, May 22, 2014
Dear Marius

Thank you so much for your kind review.

You have no idea how much it means to those of us in the hospitality industry, who constantly strive to exceed expectations, to know when we have been successful. Thank you for taking the time to let us know.

Congratulations on your wedding!! Wishing you many years of happiness, and we look forward to welcoming you back to re-live the memories.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The hotel is great. Rooms nicely appointed. Reception staff great. Porters great. Spa excellent. Bar is not great. Staff standing talking to one another with no respect for guest presence. Bar ran out of the beverage I was drinking. Was told two restaurants open for dinner on checkin however only one open with a poor a la carte option. Room service superb. Restaurants not great. Tried to have breakfast this morning. Main restaurant closed. Went to find a staff member and was shown to a second venue. I entered and waited to be seated. There were 3 other tables but no staff. I then proceeded back to the main restaurant and found the same staff member and advised that there were no staff in the restaurant. She advised that they are all busy clearing dishes? She then walked with me and we saw another staff member and she then turned to me and said, you see there are staff.......I left in disgust at the poor attitude and lack of service and general no care attitude. Sitting in my room. Tried to order breakfast to the room but they don't serve breakfast to the room. So no breakfast this morning. Very inconsistent. You would think by now that a member of the management team would have contacted me in my room. Very disappointing. Room 132.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
MountGrace, General Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Shaun

Thank you for taking the time and effort to provide feedback, which is of course extremely valuable.

We have noted all your comments and have taken the necessary corrective action.

For the record, this post has only been received today 28 May, one week after your stay, but I am pleased we managed to make contact whilst you were still a guest of ours and I trust we managed to improve upon your early impressions.

Sincerely

Andy Conn
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
Alberton, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed May 18, 2014

We went to Mount Grace for the 3rd time 17/5/2014 and I must say I am disappointed. Since becoming part of the African pride Group, the standard has dropped. Firstly maintenance is sorely lacking from facilities to rooms and shared spaces like ladies toilet near Restaurant. In the past when we visited and something was faulty, it was tended to immediately. Its def not the case anymore. We arrived at the spa sat morning 17/5/2014 and Jacuzzi warm water pump was broken. Nobody made any kind of attempt to have it repaired whilst we were there. I reported it to the spa manageress, reception and guest services but nothing done. We found outside warm water pool was also cold. In our room, whilst I paid for 3 only provision was made for 2 and our room needed to be restocked for 3. Tie back attachment was broken and actually attached to the tie back itself and tie back just tied around curtain. Light fittings at desk has one crystal missing, paint peeling in the ladies bathroom near Twist. What’s happening with Mount Grace? Also, R230.00 per person is value for money for breakfast but not for dinner on a sat night. The choices are fewer than on other nights. Sure you can understand that a more relaxed approach is taken to the sat evening dinner but then adjust the price accordingly. Brochure in the room state that luxury room with pool should have stand alone bath and walk in shower which was not the case. We had a built in bath with climb in shower. If you state one thing, make sure you deliver what you promise. Charger unit comes out of the plug unit when pulling out cable. Small details which should be looked at if you consider yourself 5 star and expect people to pay as such. I don’t think I will be back which is a shame because staff still lovely and so is the surroundings as a whole. If one pays this tariff you expect things to be correct and perfect. I doubt very much of they will retain the 5 stars with this kind of degradation.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Michelle U
Dear Michelle U

Firstly our sincere apologies for the inconveniences you experienced during your recent stay with us.

We appreciate you taking the time to discuss the issues experienced with our General Manager as it is our aim to provide a wonderful experience that exceeds expectations and receiving detailed feedback from our GUESTS allows us to further improve on our services offered.

Please be so kind to email me directly on guestrelationsmanager@mountgrace.co.za upon your return as I would like to personally meet with you.

Reviewed May 18, 2014

I live in the UK, and visit SA once a year - so wanted to get away for some quality time with my sister. We travelled up one Saturday morning and it was a quick 30 minute drive from Johannesburg. We loved the facilities, and even though it was raining very lightly we still got to experience the floatation pool and outside spa pools. We had a facial called the "six sensational" facial which was really relaxing as they used rain sticks and warm candle wax to massage with - which seemed to compliment the weather. We really loved it and would definitely go again. I actually did a full review of this day on my blog 'Quintessentially Me' with photos of the facilities, spa and food if you would like more in depth detail.....

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
MountGrace, Guest Relations Manager at African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Ashleigh B

Thank you so much for your great comments.

We have read your blog on your experience at our property and it completely blew us away. On behalf of the Mount Grace TEAM, we would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to write the amazing blog and for the fantastic feedback on your recent stay with us.

We hope to welcome you back on your next visit to SA.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 13, 2014

My wife and I planned to take this trip, before i was injured and was required to walk on crutches. Granted this was a long weekend (21st March 2014) - it seemed as though the place had no idea on how to cope with so many people. Personally i was not offered the service of a golf cart - even though i was clearly not able to walk properly.

The rooms are quaintly decorated - and not the most modern of finishes. The dinner and breakfast areas are also ridiculously busy and you may need to wait in loong queues. The food was good - but if you are a vegetarian - the choice is very limited.

The spa treatments were good - but quite overpriced for what you actually get and i felt that they tried to punt their products a little too much. We have been here before, but it does seem like a marked decrease in quality since our previous visit. Probably wont be back - the last visit left a bad taste in the mouth.

Room Tip: The best rooms seem to be the deluxe rooms (offers better value for money) - get there early for bre...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear DeepeshG

Firstly, I would like to sincerely apologise for the inconveniences that you experienced on your recent stay with us in that you were not offered the services of a golf cart and for the fact that there were long queues during buffet meals at the restaurant.

The Mount Grace TEAM strives for service excellence and it is extremely disappointing that we failed to exceed your expectations during this stay and to hear that you might not return.

I would appreciate it if you would pay us another visit in order to experience the "true Mount Grace experience" and most importantly to provide us with feedback that will assist us in continuously creating memorable experiences for our GUESTS.

Please feel free to contact me directly on guestrelationsmanager@mountgrace.co.za if I can be of any further assistance in future.

GUEST Relations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
Valley Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site
Forum Homini Hotel
Forum Homini Hotel
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift

Been to African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa? Share your experiences!