“Absolutely fabulous for a more intimate conference or couples retreat”

De Hoek Country Hotel
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
Reviewed January 24, 2013

We visited De Hoek for a two day conference. It came highly reccomended as one of the only 5 star conference venues close to Johannesburg.

The food was sublime, what a dining experience! Everything is prepared thoughtfully and presented beautifully.

In terms of service, it was beyond excellent. The staff are attentive and catered to our every whim. We made some very last minute requests and they went out of their way to accommodate us.

I will definetely go back!

• Stayed: January 2013

Reviewed November 25, 2012

If ever you are looking to experience something different and awesome this is the best place to have a very special and delicious lunch. The service was excellent the attention to detail was asstounding and the food, well the food was absolutely delightful! I will recommend anyone to take the drive out to Magalies and to go to be swept away in the country style. The ambience: So stylish and sophisticated but at the same time warm and welcoming. Really great. Thanks to all the staff for their great service.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent two nights at a conference at this superb gem of a hotel. It has a beautiful tanquil setting and with only 20 rooms the service is outstanding. The attentive staff made our stay totally fabulous. The dinners were, long and leisurely and delicious, however people are in conference all day, the dinners were a little too long and leisurely as delegates were tired and wanted to get back to their rooms before the early start the next day. If you looking for activities, there are very few namely archery. It is well stocked with interesting books and magazines. The rooms are very nice and had everything I could ask for. I do think that the decor may need updating if compared to other similar hotels in the area. Gardens beautifully maintained. I would recommend this for a small conference or week-end getaway anytime.

Room Tip: The corner rooms are more spacious.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Yesterday my wife surprised me with a birthday lunch at De Hoek where we were joined by close friends and had an excellent lunch in the garden.

From being warmly greeted on arrival and the welcoming complimentary cocktails, through to a short but well-balanced table d’ôte menu and very attentive service it was a memorable meal.

The food was good – with small, tasty and well-presented portions and with discrete but attentive service.

Definitely a “go back to” and highly recommended as a close country retreat for Jo’burgers who would like a little bit of opulence now and again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank alan j
Reviewed July 16, 2012

The hotel is classy and tranquil. The rooms are spacious and comfortable and are kept in great condition. The staff are on top form - always attentive, friendly and professional, and the food is superb. The conferencing facilities are also top-notch.

From check-in to checkout, its always a great experience for a business conference or a romantic weekend away.

Room Tip: Rooms on the North block have a view of the sunset. Get a room on the top level for a better view o...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed June 27, 2012

My wife spoiled me for fathers day and took me out for lunch to De Hoek Country House situated at the foothills of the Magaliesburg Mountains. This is a side of the Magliesburg I had never visited and I must say I will return and definitely consider De Hoek as a place to stay. The winding roads leading to De Hoek are very picturesque and one gets the feeling that you are truly in the mountains without the overplayed touristy vibe. The restaurant is superb with huge wooden gables and has a distinctly Swiss charisma with heavy wooden furniture and luxury finishes all round. My only criticism is that the giant fireplace didn't have a crackling log fire as the day was particularly chilly which meant we had to dine with our jackets on.

The table d'hote menu allowed one a sumptuous choice of cold appetisers, soup or warm hors d'ouevres, followed by a lemon sorbet, a choice of entrees including fillet, roast pork belly an line fish which is rounded off by a choice of desert trios. The wines on offer are extensive and some of South Africa's rare award winners can be found there, albeit at a bit of a premium.

On arrival we were offered a welcome drink and both opted for Glühwein which was prepared perfectly and warmed us up nicely - not to mention adding to the Swiss Ski Lodge atmosphere. Both my wife and I had the veal parmigiano risotto as an hors d' oevre and it was simply sublime! After our lemon sorbet had cleared the palate we both chose the herb encrusted fillét with mash and rattartoulie which was cooked to perfection. For desert, my wife chose the trio of creme brûlées of which she only enjoyed the classic vanilla & caramel, but then again she is not a desert person, I can attest the other two, coffee and passion fruit, were just as delicious. I selected the trio of baked puddings which consisted of bread and butter pudding, Malva pudding and a chocolate brownie with ice cream, all of which were fantastic and sweetly rounded off this gourmet meal.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Swissfly
Reviewed May 7, 2012

My team and I spent 2 days and 1 night at De Hoek last week. It's a great place for a small conference. I believe that there are around 20 rooms, so unless you are sharing with your colleagues, 20 would be the max for an overnight conference.

The conference room was nice and big, and in a beautiful setting. The tea and coffee / waters / snacks etc provided were all of a good standard, and the staff were very helpful and dedicated in making our stay as perfect as possible.

We had a great set menu for dinner, which was beautifully cooked. I really enjoyed the cheese souffle especially!

The rooms are all very nicely decorated, in a classic, homely style. They are spacious, and have comfortable beds. I would have liked to spend more time relaxing in the room!

Check the directions before driving to de Hoek - i relied on my GPS which took me on a rather roundabout way. The directions provided by De Hoek are much better!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank SH27380
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
2 mi away
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site

Been to De Hoek Country Hotel? Share your experiences!