“Very Disappointed,Total Neglect visible”

Mountain Sanctuary Park
$257.77*
and up
Private Magaliesberg Day Tour from Johannesburg including Hartbeespoort Dam
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Friday afternoon, Yeah we are going camping. Destination Mountain Sanctuary Park, Magaliesberg. We arrive just before sunset, put up camp. As the bushveld quiet starts to surround us, a thick cloud of stars appear and seemingly we have come to the right place. As morning unfold, we decide to go for a walk. The hiking distance too the West Pool is 20 min. the nature seems untouched, so much so that you don't always know where the path is you should follow. after that we head back, and jet lack of clearly marked routs. As the afternoon settles in, we decide to go for a swim and to our surprise a swimming pool with no water. how about a mountain biking excursion. No, not going to happen. The path is so over grown with thorny bushes that it was impossible to enjoy. I would not recommend that you visit the Mountain Sanctuary Park. I was very disappointed!

3  Thank MMouton

Reviewed August 3, 2014 via mobile

We went for a day hike. Beautiful scenery with great natural swimming pools. Not overcrowded. Will certainly visit again.

2  Thank Lourens W
Reviewed March 1, 2014

Attraction close to JHB, best for 2 days with friends but you can go there also for one day.
Good to try your camping equipment before going for longer trip. Site has very nice rocky hiking trail. Plase is accessible for 2x4 but be cautios on rainy day.

4  Thank Marcin W
Reviewed February 28, 2014

Mt. Sanctuary Park is in a beautiful setting with lovely hikes and rock pools. The gorge is nice to walk through. Amenities are satisfactory with places to charge phones. Some camp sites have electricity. The kids love going camping there.

3  Thank InspiredParenting
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I visited Mountain Sanctuary on a school organised camping trip when I was in high school and loved the beautiful scenery and rivers, rock pools and springs to swim in. Although it poured with rain, my tent leaked and my tent-mate was sick, I loved the place itself and decided to propose a camping trip to catch up with my friends I hadn't seen since leaving for varsity. We had a lovely time there. The weather was great, the swimming pool was fantastic, the walks are exquisite and you can swim in the crystal clear rock pools. We had an awesome time playing at the 'slide pools' where you can slide on the smooth algae-covered rocks into the spring water - but be careful: these rocks are very slippery and there was much laughter at the regular slips and falls!

You can get access to electricity for an extra fee (but it wasn't much at all if I recall) and there is a little shop where you can stock up on ice and some basic things.

This is very much a relaxing getaway weekend with an emphasis on the peace and quiet of nature, so there is a strict no noise policy after 9pm - this is not the place to go if you want to stay up late and party and create a pyramid of beer cans. Although we were not particularly rowdy, we were politely reminded of the no noise policy at 9 on the first night, so we did all our subsequent noisy chatting, eating, drinking and 30 Seconds playing by the pool during the day instead, and were exhausted by 9pm anyway!

It is a beautiful spot where you can go to have a close-to-nature experience not far from Joburg at an affordable price and enjoy some peace and quiet in the great outdoors!

2  Thank Lindsay W