“A lovely weekend of camping”

Mountain Sanctuary Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$53.45*
and up
Magaliesberg Canopy Tour
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I visited Mountain Sanctuary on a school organised camping trip when I was in high school and loved the beautiful scenery and rivers, rock pools and springs to swim in. Although it poured with rain, my tent leaked and my tent-mate was sick, I loved the place itself and decided to propose a camping trip to catch up with my friends I hadn't seen since leaving for varsity. We had a lovely time there. The weather was great, the swimming pool was fantastic, the walks are exquisite and you can swim in the crystal clear rock pools. We had an awesome time playing at the 'slide pools' where you can slide on the smooth algae-covered rocks into the spring water - but be careful: these rocks are very slippery and there was much laughter at the regular slips and falls!

You can get access to electricity for an extra fee (but it wasn't much at all if I recall) and there is a little shop where you can stock up on ice and some basic things.

This is very much a relaxing getaway weekend with an emphasis on the peace and quiet of nature, so there is a strict no noise policy after 9pm - this is not the place to go if you want to stay up late and party and create a pyramid of beer cans. Although we were not particularly rowdy, we were politely reminded of the no noise policy at 9 on the first night, so we did all our subsequent noisy chatting, eating, drinking and 30 Seconds playing by the pool during the day instead, and were exhausted by 9pm anyway!

It is a beautiful spot where you can go to have a close-to-nature experience not far from Joburg at an affordable price and enjoy some peace and quiet in the great outdoors!

2  Thank Lindsay W
"nice hiking"
in 3 reviews
"log cabin"
in 5 reviews
"a great place to spend"
"braai wood"
"the reserve"
"couple of hours"
"two hours"
"south africa"

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I went to Mountain Sanctuary Park with my Dutch friend. We arrived late, but was still allowed in. Spacious camping spot, and relatively private too. We ended up hiking the whole day the following day. He really enjoyed being out in nature.
Will visit again.
There is also a nice restuarant at the gate of the park, which i recommend.

2  Thank griffter87
Reviewed November 18, 2013 via mobile

Our family spent weekend in log cabins there, and value for money not there. The cabins are run down, lights not working, crockery and cutlery not checked by staff, no braai tongs, towels had dead moths in them, maintenance on cabins way overdue as windows don't all close.... Shower head in unit 7 became hand shower as maintenance crew didn't fix it. Also question the electrical handwork done there, doubt it's got a wireman certificate as well!

Reserve itself is nice, some nice trails and the pool seemed to be winner with folk that stayed there. Both Friday and Saturday night campers made loud noises after "lights out/no noise" which was also damper on weekend.

Would I go back to stay in cabin/chalet there? No afraid not - for a grand a night I expect a bit more.

6  Thank Mike W
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Me and a few friends were there on Friday, to catch up as two of them were visiting from London. We were 10 people all together, just enjoying each others company, we were doing nothing more than just talking to one another. In fairness, we had not read the rules and regulations of the park and were unaware of the 'strictly no noise' policy they have there. That said, were not screaming, shouting or being disorderly in any manner and when one of the park guests asked us to put our music off, we did. After that, reception and security came to ask us to keep it down..which we thought we were doing, and thus continued to do, when another guest came over to us, started calling us names and saying we were rude and inconsiderate. We were quite shocked that people were reacting to us in this way, because as we saw it we were just talking to each other and when a complaint or request reached us we tried to comply. After that the owner came over, he never identified himself and had no desire to hear our side of the story or investigate the matter further, he was very rude to us and totally unreasonable and made us feel like criminals and the scum of the earth. He threatened to call the cops on us, if we didn't pack up our stuff and leave (it was 2am)...and even though we were, he still called the cops and had us escorted off the property. He didn't care that we had been drinking and were over the legal limit to drive. I believe the situation could have been avoided if he just talked to us with respect and at least tried to hear our side of the story. I will never go back there, it is not the sort of place to go if you want to have fun and the owners don't know how to treat their guests or handle such situations...I would know, I am a manager at a 5 star property and we don't even treat problem guests in such a disgusting manner. I will never recommend this place to anyone except to tell them how me and my friends were treated.

19  Thank Pamela-Ann B
See more reviews
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Maglies Mountain Sanctuary Park is a great place to escape and experience the great outdoors and what the Magliesburg Mountains are all about. Picture crystal clear rock pools, amazing boulder stacks, waterfalls, hidden grottos and the most breath-taking views of the nearby Bronkhorstspruit Dam. All the walks are easy for both young and old though they do offer unlimited hiking for the serious trail blazer. We travelled as a family with our five year and one year old sons and their granny. On one of the days our five-year old managed a full five hours of walking and exploring the hills, gorges and rock pools!

We stayed in a log cabin which was great fun and one up on camping. Equipped with an outdoor braai, gas stove and a jet master fireplace it was a cosy base to soak up the mountain air. With that said the camping facilities looked impeccable, some with plug points, but clean grounds and clean ablutions.

It gets very hot there from October onwards so be prepared to set off hiking early in the morning and remember sunscreen, water and a hat. They do allow swimming in most of the rock pools; the Big Pools and West Pools were where we swam and enjoyed a picnic before making it back to the cabin before noon. During the day we relaxed in the camp or swam in the sparkling pool which has a deck with fantastic a view and a little bar serving drinks, ice-cream and snacks.
P.S. The camp has fantastic wildlife including birds, monkeys and baboons. Make sure all windows and doors are kept locked if you don’t want uninvited guests pinching your fruit and food supplies :)

3  Thank Swissfly