“A piece of heaven only an hour from Johannesburg”

Budmarsh Country Lodge
Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A piece of heaven only an hour from Johannesburg”
Reviewed August 6, 2012

My husband and I went to Budmarsh along with friends and had an amazing weekend. The food was excellent and there was plenty of choice. The staff were superb, very friendly and worked hard. The accommodation was lovely and all in all it was a great venue. It was a lovely place to relax whether in the library, by the pool or in the bar. Everywhere was restful and quiet. My only 'criticism' was I would have preferred more vegetables with the meals but they were all beautifully prepared and served. The wardrobe was a tad small but hardly a train smash and everywhere was clean and well appointed. There was always plenty of hot water and we liked the little touches everywhere. Nothing was too much trouble. We hope to visit again before too long.

Room Tip: We had 'Luxury' rooms by the pool and these were superb as not only was it quiet but you wer...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank JackPugg
Ken_and_Meg_Fargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you so much for the generous review and for appreciating the unique little touches around Budmarsh. You must be a discerning traveler. Your comments are a great encouragement to the staff who try their best to please our guests. We look forward to welcoming you back and when you do visit, please tell the Chef you want more veggies; he is certain to oblige! Looking forward to seeing you again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
White River, South Africa
Reviewed July 2, 2012

I have run many conferences at Budmarsh and have never been dissapointed -highly recommended!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank collinjen
Thank you for your positive comment and I hope we will see you for another conference soon. We value your support a great deal and hope we can make your next conference even better.
Mkushi, Zambia
Reviewed June 13, 2012

We were attracted to Budmarsh Country Lodge because the website mentioned that it had its own library complete with leather chairs. In the end the library was a bit smaller than imagined but as reading addicts we were not disappointed as there were fascinating books available to dip into throughout the lodge.

The setting of the lodge is slightly odd, being set in the countryside bit without much access to walks or strolls. Coupled with the lack of a spa or recreational facilities, it meant that the lodge was a great place to unwind, lounging about, swimming and reading - but if more stimulation was required you had to look elsewhere.

The rooms were very comfortable and the quality of the finish and decor was apparent. The food was amazing and was more than matched by their wine cellar. The service in the restaurant was top notch, though the lodge staff and management seemed to be a bit at arms length.

We were very happy with our stay of 2 nights, but thought that there should be more on offer if they want to attract people for longer stays.

• Stayed March 2012
7 Thank FarmingFlyer
Thank you for taking the time to write a review which is accurate. We are glad you appreciated the many and varied books and of course the food. One of the hallmarks of Budmarsh is the tranquility, however we do like to promote the diverse activities in the vicinity. Budmarsh is a great escape from the constant rush of the city and we hope you will return when you need a break from it all.
Potchefstroom
Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend.

A really beautiful place with excellent and very friendly service.

Room was very comfortable appointed and we were very happy here, only weird thing was the plate with two moldy fruit kebabs in one of the drawers...

Food served was generally excellent and we also enjoyed a fabulous picnic on their beautiful lawn. Some of the food combinations served at dinner didn't work for me, kiwi fruit sorbet with chocolate dessert was a miss.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lindafrompotch
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for noting the positive aspects of Budmarsh. We hope you were refreshed and relaxed after your stay. Sorry about the oddities in the drawer -and thank you for seeing it as the aberration that it was. I hope you liked the other dessert on the menu. We look forward to welcoming you back and don't forget to mention which food combinations you particulalry like so the Chef can oblige!
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 30, 2012

I took my partner Paul to stay for his birthday on 2nd February 2012 and also to propose to him....what an establishment. We were treated like royalty from the minute we arrived until we departed 2 days later. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was absolutely awesome and the bathroom was just divine. The food was just fantastic and the complimentary tea, coffee and cake in the afternoons at the pool just delightful. We dont drink alcohol but the hotel per my request had arranged that non alcoholic Beck's was in stock for our needs. They arranged a picnic basket, blankets and pillows under the trees on the lawn for my "proposal" that was so fairytale like. Just beautiful - everything! Oh, Paul said YES

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Loren S
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Congratulations on your engagement! We are delighted that such a momentous occasion took place at Budmarsh. Thank you for your review and we wish you and Paul many happy years together and may there be many blessings on your journey. Budmarsh hopes you will celebrate often and happily and that we become one of your special destinations.
Cape Town, South Africa
Reviewed May 28, 2012

This weekend I had the pleasure of staying at Budmarsh. I had very high expectations from the 5-star rating and the reputation that it precedes it and it exceeded those expectations. The room was simple but comfortable, however, one does not go to Budmarsh for the accommodation, but the food, which was simply spectacular. The staff are also a highlight, they are friendly and helpful. It seems as though commitment to service is their main goal, and they achieve it with confident ease. I left on the Sunday afternoon with a pang of sadness, knowing I would be dining on food that would be classified as only 1-star.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jonny E
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the cuisine. We also think our staff is lovely and they always try their best to please the guests. Your comments certainly help to motivate them and to know that their efforts are appreciated. Please visit again to experience the new delights our chef has prepared for discerning patrons.
Johannesburg
Reviewed April 30, 2012

I am writing this after spending four glorious nights at Budmarsh. Everything about this place is splendid. I was greeted in the car park on my arrival by the host and one of the staff who carried my luggage. Check-in was a breeze. My room was spacious with an outdoor shower.

The staff was exceptional; attentive but not intrusive.

The six-course dinners were amazing. I especially loved the vegetarian main courses and the sorbets; mouth-watering.

I spent most of my time lounging by the pool or sitting under a tree reading whilst taking in the amazing views of the mountain and the dam.

I loved my stay at this venue. My only regret is that it took me so long to discover it. I will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Zobz
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I do hope you will return soon. We appreciate your support and our staff is inspired by your comments.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Sparkling Waters Hotel & Spa
Sparkling Waters Hotel & Spa
#7 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to Budmarsh Country Lodge? Share your experiences!