“Haven of tranquility”

Ranked #2 of 7 Hotels in Magaliesburg
Potchefstroom
“Haven of tranquility”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2012

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend.

A really beautiful place with excellent and very friendly service.

Room was very comfortable appointed and we were very happy here, only weird thing was the plate with two moldy fruit kebabs in one of the drawers...

Food served was generally excellent and we also enjoyed a fabulous picnic on their beautiful lawn. Some of the food combinations served at dinner didn't work for me, kiwi fruit sorbet with chocolate dessert was a miss.

Would stay here again.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank lindafrompotch
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, June 6, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for noting the positive aspects of Budmarsh. We hope you were refreshed and relaxed after your stay. Sorry about the oddities in the drawer -and thank you for seeing it as the aberration that it was. I hope you liked the other dessert on the menu. We look forward to welcoming you back and don't forget to mention which food combinations you particulalry like so the Chef can oblige!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

I took my partner Paul to stay for his birthday on 2nd February 2012 and also to propose to him....what an establishment. We were treated like royalty from the minute we arrived until we departed 2 days later. We stayed in the honeymoon suite which was absolutely awesome and the bathroom was just divine. The food was just fantastic and the complimentary tea, coffee and cake in the afternoons at the pool just delightful. We dont drink alcohol but the hotel per my request had arranged that non alcoholic Beck's was in stock for our needs. They arranged a picnic basket, blankets and pillows under the trees on the lawn for my "proposal" that was so fairytale like. Just beautiful - everything! Oh, Paul said YES

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Loren S
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, June 3, 2012
Congratulations on your engagement! We are delighted that such a momentous occasion took place at Budmarsh. Thank you for your review and we wish you and Paul many happy years together and may there be many blessings on your journey. Budmarsh hopes you will celebrate often and happily and that we become one of your special destinations.
Cape Town, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

This weekend I had the pleasure of staying at Budmarsh. I had very high expectations from the 5-star rating and the reputation that it precedes it and it exceeded those expectations. The room was simple but comfortable, however, one does not go to Budmarsh for the accommodation, but the food, which was simply spectacular. The staff are also a highlight, they are friendly and helpful. It seems as though commitment to service is their main goal, and they achieve it with confident ease. I left on the Sunday afternoon with a pang of sadness, knowing I would be dining on food that would be classified as only 1-star.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Jonny E
Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed the cuisine. We also think our staff is lovely and they always try their best to please the guests. Your comments certainly help to motivate them and to know that their efforts are appreciated. Please visit again to experience the new delights our chef has prepared for discerning patrons.
Johannesburg
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

I am writing this after spending four glorious nights at Budmarsh. Everything about this place is splendid. I was greeted in the car park on my arrival by the host and one of the staff who carried my luggage. Check-in was a breeze. My room was spacious with an outdoor shower.

The staff was exceptional; attentive but not intrusive.

The six-course dinners were amazing. I especially loved the vegetarian main courses and the sorbets; mouth-watering.

I spent most of my time lounging by the pool or sitting under a tree reading whilst taking in the amazing views of the mountain and the dam.

I loved my stay at this venue. My only regret is that it took me so long to discover it. I will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Zobz
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, May 11, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I do hope you will return soon. We appreciate your support and our staff is inspired by your comments.
Cambridge, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I have stayed at Budmarsh on 2 occasions and have thoroughly enjoyed both of my visits. The rooms in which I have stayed were fantastic, the staff friendly and helpful, and the food exquisite. I enjoyed a number of exceptional meals whilst staying at Budmarsh, including a 5 course private dinner in the beautiful cellar, surrounded by the wooden wine racks (great choices for wine!). The breakfasts were also exceptional, really delicious. Budmarsh has beautiful surroundings and there are plenty of places to visit not far away if you wished to do so. I would definitely recommend a visit, be it to spend time with friends and family or as a romantic getaway. I know that I will be most certainly aiming to go again!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
6 Thank Ruth H
Thank you very much for your comprehensive review. We hope that you come back to visit very soon. The new breakfast menu is a real treat and Chris, the chef, is always trying imaginative combinations to tempt the palate. And the tranquility of nature remains just that: peace, quiet and restoration.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

My main compliment is to the staff of Budmarsh. They are quite exceptional, and have to be the best we have come across in a very long time. Even the trainee/skeleton staff on Sunday morning, tried their best to please. From the greeting by the guard at the front gate, to the staff who carried our bags, to the greeting by reception, the housekeeper who ensured my room was cleaned within 30 minutes, and all the service at all of our meals and drinks at the bar – they barely put a foot wrong, and were highly accommodating.

The venue is beautiful, with well-tended gardens, a variety of different areas to sit in and relax, looking at the view of the garden or the dam. I liked the touch of the towels already laid neatly over the pool loungers, ready for that cool-off dip. The French-press coffee in the room, with delicious homemade biscuits (which were everywhere by the way), and the hand crafted chocolates on the bed, were lovely touches. The myriad books all over really does mean that you will never be without a good read, and you may just find something you would never have thought of paging through. The free Wi-Fi service is most useful, as well as having tea/coffee and biscuits available all day. Some other touches that one can appreciate – the wine cellar with a respectable selection of wines, the bar area is cosy, the beds are large and comfy, the TV has a decent number of channels to choose from (you don’t have to miss your favourite sports match!), and the whole lodge and its surrounds are kept very clean and neat.

The rest leaves much to be desired though, and therefore my comment that this is not a 5-Star lodge. I have sent this to the owners, and received an immediate response via telephone from the owner, which I sincerely appreciated (the response comments have been noted)
• The bathrooms are in dire need of a revamp, and felt old and boring, with broken tiles, or sealant coming away from the edge of the bath. The plastic shower is past its prime and, also gives barely any room to move in.
• There are handles missing off the drawers and bed-side cupboard doors, and you therefore cannot open them to put away items. (I have been informed that due to these being antiques, they have struggled to find decent replacements for these, and continue to try)
• The food was appalling. I can cook better. I found the plates of food to be generally colourless (but will say that the veggies were not overcooked), and boring. The raspberry coulis for one dessert was made using fruit that had gone off, and the homemade preserves (ordinarily a special touch) were going off. The pork fillet though was delicious, there just needed to be more gravy on the plate (however, I was given more without even a blink of an eye from the excellent watering staff). For the braai there were loads of different red meats (which we had now eaten in spades all weekend) and not a chicken breast or drumstick in sight, with salads that had no creativity to them – all on a buffet that looked like a stock standard chain hotel. There was potato with every meal - why not use other carbs such as couscous, or rice, barley or quinoa? Overall, this food did not represent by any means what I would expect from a Michelin chef with years of experience in France. (We had a very long discussion about this, and much of this was due to the choices made by the host (which for future reference they may help the host in choosing a better variety), however, I still stand by many of these comments, and hopefully improvements will be made)
• If you are going to provide hair dryers, then please make sure that they have a plug on it that can either fit into the existing socket, or provide an adaptor – I had to go out in the rain to reception (who were speedily helpful) to get an adapter (The owner readily agreed to this comment, and will make a change)
• We woke up to awful noise around 7am, which really disturbed the peace (the owner was very grateful that this had been pointed out, and knows exactly what the problem is, which will be immediately fixed, and regularly checked)
• The restaurant needs to have something that will dampen the sound – it echoes awfully, especially with a big crowd, and then to top it all off the music was really noisy most of the time, and not appropriate for the meal (breakfast on Sunday morning was particularly noisy and “screaming” music is the only way I can describe it) Something similar to Café del Mar, or light classical would be far better! (We discussed this and owner will review)

We went to this lodge for my partner’s company weekend away, and therefore the place was booked all to ourselves. The pricing of this lodge is over the top for the standard that we experienced, at this specific point in time. This is by no means a 5-star lodge, except for the 10-star staff. I still stick by this comment after having a discussion with the owner, but do believe that if they make all the little changes, and continue to handle complaints so well, this venue will once again be as fabulous as is advertised.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Wolery
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
We are pleased that you appreciated the care that our staff takes to ensure that guests are well looked after and we agree with you that they are a wonderful team. It is pleasing to know that they treat conference delegates well. We have noted your valuable suggestions and look forward to seeing you in the near future.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2012

I have just returned from a fabulous overnight stay at Budmarsh - having previously enjoyed Sunday lunch and dinners there. Budmarsh offers high comfort in a magical location, and a personal attention to guests you don't often find. I loved the quiet and enjoyed walking around the lakes withtheir prolific birdlife. As it's only a short drive from Joburg, it's a great spot to relax and destress!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
11 Thank Sue W
KenFargher, Owner at Budmarsh Country Lodge, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Thank you for visiting Budmarsh for a more extended stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed the Sunday Lunch and the renowned High Tea amongst the other culinary experiences offered by Fine Dining. The gentle rambles around the dams usually reveal some unexpected joy that is bound to restore the soul. We are pleased that you were able to de-stress and imbibe in the tranquillity of Budmarsh.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Magaliesburg
African Pride Mount Grace Country House & Spa
#4 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Sparkling Waters Hotel & Spa
Sparkling Waters Hotel & Spa
#6 of 12 in Rustenburg

Been to Budmarsh Country Lodge? Share your experiences!