“So disappointing......”

Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Visited The Meeting Room Upstairs on Friday evening - it was our last night of a months stay in SA, and of 10 nights in Simon's Town. Soooo disappointing. We'd booked a table on the balcony, which had lovely views towards the harbour. That's really the only good thing I can say about the evening. Not a very comprehensive menu, so I asked if there were any 'Specials' on that night. The waitress just shrugged, and walked away with a throwaway 'Its all special' over her shoulder. She eventually came back for our drinks order, but was obviously not impressed that we'd brought a bottle saying 'You know we charge corkage?', then disappeared again. The restaurant seems to double as a bar in the evening & there seemed to be a birthday celebration going on, this kept the waitresses fully occupied with drinks, and the food customers were obviously a nuisance. Food came eventually, but just plonked down. Quality, poor. Presentation, poor. Value, poor. I asked to see the dessert menu & was looked at as if I had two heads! There didn't seem to be one, & was told 'I can only offer you ice cream or a piece of chocolate tart'. I had the ice cream. Three scoops (fair enough) but just set in a white soup bowl. No thought, no decoration, not even a trickle of sauce - so boring. Wished I hadn't bothered. Eventually asked another girl for the bill, as our girl had disappeared & it arrived after a long, long wait. No one came to take payment, so eventually we took it to the bar where we waited like a couple of lemons while they were serving/chatting with the drinking crowd. Seemed we were invisible, so waved the wallet & left it on the counter. Poor meal, awful service, and not impressed to have cockroaches scuttling round my feet, either.

1  Thank Calliope245

Reviewed November 24, 2013

My boyfriend and I went for brunch. I had Patagonian calamari with chips and salad and my boyfriend had Kingklip with potato. We also ordered orange juice each and shared a slice of dark chocolate tart. Every meal was superbly prepared and absolutely delicious. My calamari was cooked to perfection, our orange juice was fresh and our favourite was the chocolate tart! So rich and creamy. There were other customers in the restaurant but our waitress made us feel like we were her only customers and every item or meal was brought to us efficiently and effortlessly. Tomato sauce is placed on your table upon ordering a meal which I LOVE because I always have to ask for it. Both waitresses on duty were so friendly and welcoming. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

I was impressed at once by the decor - lovely soft pastels put together in an attractive and comfortable way. Nothing has been left to chance, as will be apparent to anybody with an eye for informal design. The food was just what we wanted at lunchtime, 2 of us had battered fish & chips and they were presented with a pretty salad and tartare sauce. The third member of our party had a Meze Meat platter, which was varied and nicely put together - something more substantial for a man and he loved it. Staff were approachable and friendly at all times. I will definitely return to this special place.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The Meeting Place has not disappointed us once, and we have been there a good few times! Their beer batter fish and chips are the best you're gonna get anywhere in cape Town! If brunch is your thing, then look no further! The staff are friendly and the service wonderful. The view from upstairs is awesome, and you are not rushed to finish your meal. In fact, we spent three relaxing glorious hours there today. And certainly look forward to our next visit! Thank you

Reviewed November 11, 2013

it was an unexpected joy to sit up there with a great view and have breakfast - it is not easy to spot but once you see the balcony and look for the beautiful white stairs you know that it is going to be different. I will return again