“Nice hotel but the rooms need some TLC”

Simon's Town Quayside Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Simon's Town
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
“Nice hotel but the rooms need some TLC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at the Quayside for a week in late June. We chose the Quayside based on its location to the pier as we were doing a week of shark cage diving and it was barely a two minute walk to the pier, so the location is fantastic if you're diving. Based on the photos from their website I was expecting a very nice hotel. The ceiling was cracked, the door to the mini bar was broken and the bathrooms needed some work. The front desk staff was good although twice they missed giving us messages and one message was to say our dive had been cancelled for the following day due to bad weather and we got up at 5:30 am for nothing.

The breakfast buffet was okay, if a tad pricey, with a good selection to choose from. The Bertha restaurant just below the hotel is very good and the prices are reasonable, as is the Seaforth restaurant by Boulders Beach. The Meeting Place across the street is also nice but the best value is the Salty Sea Dog, right by the pier. Excellent food and good service.

Make sure to ask for a room with a balcony because the views are fantastic. We would stay here again just based on the great location.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Lombok
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

My wife and I stayed here 2 years ago and loved it. Its always a risk going back but it was a risk worth taking. We loved it again! We stayed in a balcony room and loved every moment. It was great to see Pearl still here on the front desk she is always friendly and welcoming.
We will be back again the next time we are lucky enough to be in South Africa!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AlexJon1
Key West, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

A few years ago, I stayed at Quayside for business. I remembered it as having a quiet charm and outstanding staff. I just had the pleasure of returning on vacation and I was not disappointed. The view of the marina, bay and mountains across the bay was breathtaking. I remembered it being a bit awkward to use the breakfast vouchers while there before and was pleasantly surprised to find that they now have their own breakfast buffet with a wonderful buffet spread as well as an omelette station. The nice extra touch to the rooms is that they have in-floor heaters so that your feet stay warm when getting up in the middle of the night. Unfortunately, it wasn't installed in the bathroom as well. The only complaint that my companion had was that the hair dryer wasn't up to her standards. I would definitely consider returning there on any occasion.

Room Tip: Get a second floor room if possible. The views are phenomenal!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Skip C
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 28, 2013

I scheduled a small conference with colleagues at the hotel during the week but was so impressed with my room, the view, the staff’s attitude and behaviour that I phoned my husband inviting him to rather join me for the weekend instead of going back home. Our room and view from the bed overlooked the mountains, ocean and yacht club. The hotel is located very central and walking distance from restaurants and shops. Take the train from Simon’s Town to Kalk Bay (the current stop and go traffic with road works in the main road to Kalk Bay can be a bit of a nightmare!) for an alternative experience and enjoy travelling along scenic road!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Christelle S
Windhoek, Namibia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

we stayed in the hotel for 2 nights and i have to admit - excellent. the rooms were clean, the breakfast was excellent, the staff were helpful and friendly. Travelling with kids is challanging but the hotel really assisted wherever they could!

Room Tip: take a harbour facing room - its worth it!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
W. Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

We as a family of six ,some from Uk, some from Australia and, some from Durban, Natal Province started negotiation in May 2012 .From first contact we felt we had very helpful staff and in March 2013 we arrived .
We were very pleased with the whole Hotel. it had almost everything we could wish for. With mixed gender, our requirements were to have a 1st floor seaview room with large balcony all adjacent to each other! Four lovely large rooms all with huge beds and beautifully decorated inNautical style. Our excitement began! The yacht harbour was just there with our northerly aspect. Space was amazing and quietness was around us and on the Quay. Breakfast was well appointed in the small breakfast room in an adjacent building exclusively for the hotel. We toured around the wonderful countryside and visited Capetown . How happy we were to return to our Hotel each day and the smiling faces of the staff.
Management is often the let down in the Hospitality industry but not Quayside. Management of Tthe Group ."African Hotels and Adventures" ensured all staff from Manager down the line looked after any requirements required quietly and quickly. I would add that the Hotel Manager was often in the breakfast room or reception. Wi-Fi charging was the only disappointment as there was free Wi Fi in the same buiding at a resturant who offered it free!
Our party with 4 rooms had excellent critiques . We were so happy there for our 4 nights and loved the the important but small town of Simons Town.

Room Tip: Fror the best rooms ask for a Seaview room with large balcony facing the harbour all rooms numbered...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Richards Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

We recently stayed at Simon’s Town Quayside Hotel for 3 nights, and it was a very pleasant experience. Our room was very spacious, the bathroom was just the right size. The room was very clean and simple yet tastefully done. We stayed in a sea facing room and had a fantastic view of the harbour. I thought at first that since our room was near a restaurant below, it would be noisy, but it was not so. The bed was very comfortable; we always had a good night’s sleep.

I was very sick one morning and couldn’t get up to have my breakfast at the dining hall, but when the lady there (I was told her name was Denise) found out from my husband, she prepared a breakfast tray for me and delivered it to my room. Another morning, my husband left his small bag by the chair and the gentleman (if I remember correctly, his name is Lindsay) quickly brought the bag to our room. The staff were all nice.

The hotel location is perfect; it is very central. Across the street are shops and restaurants. It is very near Boulders beach, and the other attractions. We thought parking was very limited at first, with only 6 free parking spaces right by the front of the hotel, and a few more at the back, but we never really had any problems with parking. There’s a big parking area in front of the hotel, but it is only free from 6pm to 8am. Mornings and afternoons, it’s paid parking.

The only thing that my husband didn’t like was that they only had 9 TV channels. I suppose for a 4-star hotel, they should have more. Also, our beds were two single beds put together side by side, but they didn’t put anything on top of the mattress to make it feel like one bed. But as I said, the beds were very comfortable. We stayed in another hotel in Cape Town after and they also put two beds together but they put some cushion on top so it felt like we were on one big bed. We didn’t really bother to call their attention to it. We are not very fussy travellers. As long as we have a clean, comfy , quiet and secure room, we are happy. We would gladly stay here again.

Room Tip: Getting a sea facing room is definitely worth it; you wake up every morning to awesome views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
#3 of 29 in Simon's Town
Mariner Guesthouse
Mariner Guesthouse
#4 of 29 in Simon's Town

Been to Simon's Town Quayside Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!