“One Thing You MUST Do At Least Once”

Apex Shark Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 21 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join Chris & Monique Fallows of Discovery Channel's Air Jaws series on your own AIR JAWS shark tour. Experience a morning or afternoon trip to see the Great White Sharks of Seal Island breaching and hunting.Get up close and personal, view the sharks in their own watery environment from the safety of a cage - all this in one trip!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Dubai, UAE
44 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“One Thing You MUST Do At Least Once”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

What an incredible experience! The entire staff does an extraordinary job from beginning to end.
The whole process is very organized. Booking was easy. The visibility underwater was poor the day we went, however the sensation of being in the water and sooooo close to these beautiful creatures is exhilarating. The views from the surface and from the boat were awesome. I had to talk my wife into this and she is so glad she went on this trip. We both gained a tremendous amount of knowledge about the Great Whites. This is a MUST do while in South Africa.
Thanks for the memories!

Visited October 2013

6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Just as Promised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

I had a great experience with Apex Shark Expeditions. The staff was helpful, friendly, and seemed to really know what they were doing. When I got to Cape Town I asked around about Great White cage diving and everyone recommended Apex.

Visited September 2013
Seattle, Washington
“Awesome company”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

These guys arranged all my tours. From great white cage diving to cape fur seal scuba dives. They were in constant contact with me in the case of any cancellations or schedule changes. They were extremely accommodating and we enjoyed every excursion they coordinated. A big shout out to Chanele who arranged everything for me. I live in Hawaii, literally other side of the globe from South Africa and Chanele was there every step of the way helping me make all my arrangements. The only request I have from these guys.... Please please please.... I beg of you.... Have Chris sign a piece of paper for me and send it to me. I bought one of his beautiful books but there were no signed copies available. It would make my day to receive something from him I can place in my book which I proudly display ! Thank you, you guys rock!

Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“An Amazing experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We booked our trip 8 months in advance and were thoroughly looking forward to it, and we were not to be disappointed.

The boat sets off early, 6:00-6:30am, we actually met earlier as the weather was forecast to be closing in. After a 25 min journey towards seal island, it was not long until we saw the unmistakeable white shark 'fin' lurking and hunting its prey.

We were lucky enough to have Chris onboard and his excellent crew, the crew not only give warnings of sightings but also useful information about the sharks and the sea life in general.

The shark sightings were brief, we were told that you would see them for about 0.7 second, and that seems completely feasible. Attempting to get photos of a shark with a gaping wide open mouth are tricky to say the least, best thing really is to just enjoy the moment rather than trying to be behind the viewfinder for too long.

The sharks kept coming, we chose not to cage dive but those guys got awesome sightings.

The crew really look after you and keep you informed of everything, it was fantastic to be out and seeing these sharks in their natural habitat.

As the morning progressed, Chris informed us that we would try and seek out some whales. Again it was not long until we saw the massive whale tail in the distance. Chris always respects these creatures and we kept out distance in the hope that curiosity may lure the whales towards us.

After losing sight of the whales for only a short time, we suddenly heard some excitement coming from elsewhere on the boat, and there they were - right alongside, 2 humpback whales.

The whales were curious and stayed very close to the boat, giving full whale tail displays and spouting from their blow holes, it was amazing.

On this particular day, Chris said it was very unusual to have this display, we were photographing like mad making the most of the moment.

This was truly amazing, infact I probably enjoyed it more than the sharks themselves, probably because you stand better chance of sightings.

Word of warning, anyone that thinks it never gets cold in South Africa - think again. Out on the water it can get very cold but these are the best times to see the sharks and whales.

An amazing experience, would love to do it again one day - thank you Apex!

Visited September 2013
1 Thank PaulW_Bmth
UltimateAirJaws, Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. It's the detail that visitors to the site are looking for to ensure they are booking that special trip .
Karyn
Palo Alto, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Most incredible experience of my life”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

We visited South Africa with a main purposes for the trip being shark diving. We heavily contemplated going out of Simons Town versus Gansbaai, and after much research (and debate) settled on False Bay. I could not have been more thrilled with the choice and selecting Apex to help me embark on this journey!

False bay is the only place where great whites are known to breach out of the water when attacking seals. Given the proximity of seal island to land here, it's a hot zone of attacks. We were fortunate enough to see a shark breach on the decoy. Easily the coolest experience of my life. It quickly became evident on the water that Apex are the experts of the three companies operating at False Bay. Because of the expertise of the folks on board we were usually the first to spot attacks and the only boat of the three to witness a breach that morning.

You'll arrive early morning then head out 20 - 25 minutes by boat to the island to watch for natural predation. Shortly after we arrived we were greeted with a white that had just made a kill. After searching for attacks for an hour or so, we towed the decoy for breaching. Weather was on our side the day we went out so we were able to anchor and get in the cage for some close up action with the sharks. I was in the cage about 30 minutes which was PLENTY for some up close action shots of some of the most fascinating creatures. They are incredibly graceful and curious under the water's surface. At the end of my time in the cage one came literally inches from my face with it's jaws open. I was never scared; I knew I was in good hands.

The day ended with a sail by seal island, which is incredibly picturesque. I could not recommend Apex or the experience at False Bay more highly. Truly a lifelong dream come true.

Visited August 2013