Review Highlights
Life-Changing Experience!

Reviewed 1 week ago
jerseygirlnyc
Much more than just a Dive trip

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Gregory M

All reviews great white sharks great whites false bay chris fallows seal island shark sightings sardine run once in a lifetime great communication marine life mossel bay cancelled due sea sickness wet suits cape town bucket list other companies
Reviewed 1 week ago

Amazing day! First time shark-diving; Small groups = plenty of time in cage! Saw three different sharks, including Seven-gill and Six-gill Cow up close - which was awesome! [No Great Whites, this time.] From the boat, saw a Brutus whale, dolphins and penguins, too! The Apex team was very professional, trip was well-organized. Renee was diligent in getting us booked from the US, and Bernie ensured we were well-prepared before our venture [clothing, seasickness prevention, security, etc.] On the day, Ryan, Jeff and the guys on board were outstanding, with their guidance and expertise, to maximize our experience. Couldn't ask for more! We did the half-day morning cage- diving in False Bay / afternoon Constantia Winelands tour as special wedding anniversary trip. Only in Cape Town 3 days, so this was perfect! Special thanks to our incredible guide, Faldie - who gave up his Sunday to be with us - start to finish. His imparted knowledge, history and experience of the area, truly enhanced our day. Can't thank them all enough. If you're in Cape Town - you HAVE to do this tour!

UltimateAirJaws, General Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 1 week ago

Thank you for the review and recognition of our team.
This half day tour, so close to Cape Town allows for an add on land tour to either Boulders and Cape Point, or the Constantia Winelands. These trips include return transfers from your hotel and can be booked through Apex.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great experience on and outside of the boat. With 4 days with Apex I was able to Dive with Sharks each day. But it was the team making sure I had an enjoyable trip after the dives that made this above and beyond. Setting up trips and tours for me just out of the comfort of their hearts. Much appreciated. Much loved.

1  Thank Gregory M
UltimateAirJaws, General Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thanks for the review. We offer a one stop solution for our guests that includes airport transfers, accommodation , shark trips, dives and land tours.

Reviewed September 24, 2018

We booked the sardine run with Apex. Everything went fine from the transport, airplane to the sardine run. We had a few special wishes (dates, tour length, transport) and Apex did everything to our full satisfaction. They asked a few times if we need some more help and even they came back to us (one month after the trip) and asked for a review and about our experience. Alex is also very very professional and Karyn (our Agent) felt responsible for our trip. Thanks Karyn and thanks Apex for a great sardine trip. By the way, Coffee Bay is a good (and cheaper) location to get the sardine experience.

Reviewed September 4, 2018 via mobile

I took two trips with the Apex team in late July and early August. I was very impressed by the customer service of all involved and particularly with Renee and Bernee who work the bookings. Prior to the trips they kept me informed of sightings so that I was able to make an informed decision to take the trip or not. They also booked me on to a trip at Mossel Bay with another operator following advice on recent sightings. Lacey, the biologist on board the boat, was extremely knowledgeable as we're the rest of the boat crew. The boat caters for a maximum of twelve guests and this works well as I really felt that I was receiving attention. I had plenty of time in the cage and at no time did I feel I was being hurried. My tours coincided with a dip in white shark activity and my expectations were well managed. I was fortunate enough to observe a white shark. I can also add seven gill sharks, rays, southern right whales, dolphins, seals, penguins and the most glorious sunrise over False Bay for a complete package. Apex is more expensive than some competitors but it is a price worth paying for if you want an experience that feels more personal. I would definitely recommend Apex and if I ever get the chance to revisit the western cape I would happily book a trip with them again.

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

When you sign up for activities involved wild animals in wild locations you have to go with the expectation that you might see nothing and it isn't the fault of Apex that the sharks have largely disappeared from False Bay. Seeing no Great Whites is probably a 1 star experience but Apex aren't at fault for that and are a very well run company with great and helpful staff.
They explained to us a few days before and via email that the shark sightings were way down on previous years but we were here anyway so had nothing to loose.
Our skipper Dave and guide Lacy were great. While Dave got us to where we needed to be Lacy talked with great knowledge and enthusiasm on all areas of Marine life not just sharks. She's going to make a great Marine Biologist when she graduates.
While the deckhands chummed the waters we chatted with Lacy and the other guests and the time out at sea did pass quickly and you didn't feel board waiting. Unfortunately we only encountered one Cow Shark and no Great Whites and only one of the cage groups were in the cage when the shark fleetingly appeared before returning to the depths.
On our return we were offered a 25% discount or a rebook on another date so Apex really do try to make the most of what is a pretty bad situation in False Bay with the worry that there are Orcas killing the Great Whites to eat their livers and reducing the population.
Thanks to Apex for trying your hardest to make the trip enjoyable and trying to find the sharks. I hope the situation improves soon.

Reviewed July 30, 2018

Thank you Chris and Monique for an extraordinary time while I visited Cape Town. The staff at Apex exceeded all my expectations. As one who truly cares about sharks I greatly appreciate your time and knowledge to further enlighten me about these magnificent creatures.

UltimateAirJaws, General Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2018

Thank you for the kind words. We hope to host you again.

Reviewed July 30, 2018

I went out one morning with my family in mid July. The seas were a little rougher than the forecast predicted and the visibility from the boat/in the water was only a few metres. The crew were very knowledgeable and friendly and you could tell they loved what they do. Unfortunately we only saw 1 brief shark sighting and the great white was gone before it really appeared. We were given a discount upon return which was nice. I would definitely do it again and recommend for all fellow shark lovers.

Reviewed July 22, 2018

We chose to use Apex because they are the operator of choice for BBC and David Attenborough - what better recommendation can you get than that?
Apex are a small and intimate operation, and therefore the service is finely tailored to give us the best possibility of viewing sharks.
Beforehand we were advised on the best time of year to visit (our whole trip revolved around a cage diving experience) and we worked together to get the best possible day for the trip based on the weather.
The boat only holds a maximum of 12 customers, so this was always going to be a personal experience. It was extremely professionally run and everyone SO knowledgeable. We did everything possible to see sharks. Unfortunately changing conditions in the Western Cape means they're increasingly hard to come by. We felt honoured to fleetingly see a 2.6 meter female called Button.
The trip itself was just so enjoyable. Loved it, and hope the situation improves.

Thank you for the great review.Hope to see you again.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

A group of five of us went out last weekend pre dawn and in pretty rough conditions - the forecast man must have been smoking something I think. Anyway we were very well looked after from start to finish with the only downer, and it was a biggie - no sharks - but that's the luck of the draw, and we did receive a discount.
The crew were very knowledgeable and happy to answer questions - clearly passionate about the whole subject.
I'd recommend this for anyone remotely interested in the top of the marine food chain but be prepared to see a lot or nothing or in between.
They also arranged a shuttle from the city and back for us.

UltimateAirJaws, General Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2018

Thank you for the review.

Great white shark sightings have been well below normal in the past few months at the known Great white shark locations in the Western Cape, however we have seen great whites at Seal Island, False Bay on most of our trips over the last 6 weeks. Some days are slower than others, averaging 1-5 sharks per trip with the occasional miss which you were most unlucky to experience.
False bay is one of Southern Africa's richest marine eco-systems and whilst our primary objective is to show our guests sharks, an additional opportunity is the chance to see 65 000 Cape Fur seals ( Africa’s densest colony) Dolphins, Whales, African penguins and other marine life including many bird species.
As trips are based on natural events, sightings are not guaranteed.

We appreciate your comments on our passionate crew and well run operation. :) These are the only things we have control over.

Reviewed July 16, 2018

On my 5 day Apex shark cage diving excursion to Seal Island, I was lucky enough to witness Great Whites in multiple forms of predatory behavior, swim bys and breaching, every single day!

This was only possible with the enthusiasm, knowledge and professional expertise of the Apex skipper, Dave, and his crew of Ryan, Lacey, Bongani and Lunga, who operate a fun, friendly, clean and above all, organized boat.

The Apex crew showed great compassion in respecting the animals in their natural habitat from a proper distance, never jeopardizing animal safety for the sake of a good photo op.

Dave and Ryan in particular, are locals who grew up in the Western Cape fishing their whole lives, worked like ocean decryptors for the guests, answering our questions in detail, while meticulously scanning through the early morning horizons, spotting through waves, wind and deep down in the water for animals like:
1)Multiple pods of Orcas teaching their young to hunt.
2)A super pod of 500+ dolphins swimming alongside and under our boat for miles.
3)Great Whites visiting our boat repeatedly, ranging from 1.5-4 meters in size.

The warm and lovely booking managers at Apex, Renee and Bernie, were fantastically efficient and clever in arranging options for my multiple scheduling requests and date changes, and pairing me up with Shirley, my hilarious partner in crime for a week, who drove me around exploring the beautiful local towns.

My experience with Apex was better than I’d have ever imagined, and I look forward to coming back soon.