“Infectious enthusiasm and a great crew”

Apex Shark Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 25 Tours in Simon's Town
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Join Chris & Monique Fallows of Discovery Channel's Air Jaws series on your own AIR JAWS shark tour. Experience a morning or afternoon trip to see the Great White Sharks of Seal Island breaching and hunting.Get up close and personal, view the sharks in their own watery environment from the safety of a cage - all this in one trip!
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed April 24, 2012

What a great experience. I can't wait to go back. These people really love and care about sharks, and have very respectful, safe, and sensitive practices. We saw 8 different sharks on that day, both during natural predations and from the cage. Well worth the already good price.

1  Thank Joshua C
UltimateAirJaws, Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2012

Thank you for posting your review.
Karyn

in 10 reviews
"sea sickness"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I had a terrific shark dive excursion with Apex, and was fortunate to have Chris and Monique aboard our charter. Their crew is professional and very knowledgeable, willing to share as much as you want to learn. It's close to Cape Town (out of Simon's Town) making it an easy one-day trip. We were treated to a huge pod of dolpins and gannets going after sardines (a Western Cape Sardine Run) which was amazing! While we didn't see the breaching, it was great to see their technique to inspire the shark's curiosity. They take only 12 people (2-3 people max in a cage), which makes your experience far more personal. I couldn't resist booking another trip in just a few weeks. I look forward to it!

Reviewed April 18, 2012

I recently booked a trip to South Africa to do 2 things. Go on a safari and cage dive with Great Whites. As great as my safari was, it pales in comparison to the experience that Apex gave me.

Let me start by saying I read all the Poor and Average reviews because I couldn't fathom how anyone could walk away from a amazing crew like this with anything but complete satisfaction. One thing people have to remember booking these trips is that Apex doesn't control weather and the sharks. You are going to see nature. I went 3 days and had 3 completely different interactions with the sharks. One day had poor visibility but a lot of up close interaction. Others had much better water visibility but the sharks were much more cautious. The crew care about only one thing and that's giving you the best trip possible. They are also very honest and up front about what to expect when you go. Everyone wants to see a shark breach but you must understand that those events only happen at certain times of the year and under the right set of conditions so if that's what you are going for, inquire before you go. Or simply read their website as they are very honest and open about the best times to go and what you should expect.

The crew. Poenas, Woods, and Nick were awesome. It's been over a month and I still can tell you their names. Why? Simple. Not only did they do a great job helping me aboard their ship, they welcomed me and made me feel at home. Everyone was very knowledgeable and eager to offer a hand or share information with you. I couldn't believe reviews saying anything but glowing reviews for this group. Chris Fallows was our captain and he leads this bunch by example. A fountain of knowledge, Chris, like the rest of the crew was always making sure you were comfortable, had everything you needed, or answered any question you might have. I went for 3 days and Chris stayed after each tour and talked to everyone of the passengers and signed some autographs. Truly a class act. I can't forget Karyn either. She helped me book my trip and helped me arrange transportation. Coming from the US to South Africa, having everything booked and ready for my arrival was important to me and she went above and beyond. Extremely quick and detailed responses she helped me with every detail and more. The staff even told me to call them when I arrived in South Africa to make sure I was ready for my trip the following day. That sounds like no big deal but I didn't arrive til midnight in Cape Town and they still had me call them to ensure I knew when to be ready for my trip.These people love their jobs almost as much as they love the sharks of False Bay.

The trip. If you are planning on going make sure you take some sea sickness pills. If you are unsure if you need them take them. A few people got sick each of the days I went so if you are unsure of how you do on a boat take some. Better be safe than sorry. If you normally don't get sea sick you'll be fine as I had no problems. You will be provided with some light snacks to tide you over on the boat as well as beverages to drink. The cage diving takes place on the surface, you will be provided everything you need, even a towel for after should you cage dive. The view on the surface is great but for me the cage is a must. Make no doubt you will see sharks on the boat but you will experience them in the water and many times you'll see sharks that the crew has no idea are even there. You'll spend close to a half hour in the water (give or take) depending on how many people are with you and how many are diving. Don't be afraid to go first. After the shark dive, you'll get a nice drive by of Seal Island and start to head back into shore. The nice thing about this is Apex will look for any other marine life in the area on the way back in. We got to see thousands (that is not a misprint) of dolphins, some whales, seals, and even a huge bait ball. As I said, each day was different but there was never a dull moment.

I can't recommend this group enough. Each day that has past since my trip I only imagine another visit. If you are a shark enthusiast, curious about sharks, or simply looking for the thrill of being so close to such an awesome animal, this company is the one to chose. I would suggest multiple days if possible in case of bad weather and because each day is really different. I am not sure if Trip Advisor allows links but we put together a video of our trip with Apex if you'd like to get an idea of what we saw. Apex made a memorable trip simply unforgettable from start to finish. WHEN I go back it will be with them.

2  Thank Ryan_Slaw_Novak
UltimateAirJaws, Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded April 19, 2012

What an amazing review! Thank you for taking the time to write this. It is truly appreciated and makes our vocation all that more worthwhile. We especially enjoyed your video of your day out with us. Based on your review and experiences, I do believe we will see you again and we look forward to that time.
Karyn

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Can't say enough about Monique, Chris and the crew/team. The shark dive was the major reason for my trip and fortunately we lucked out, great weather, loads of sightings for this time of year and there were only five of us in the group which meant more time in the cage! Most of all, two people on the boat witnessed a breach, sadly I only saw the blood in the water after rushing over.

Keep in mind, there's no guarantee. Two days before my dive, APEX contacted me saying the dive may have to be rescheduled because of the weather, which is hit and miss. But they kept me in the loop and thankfully it went ahead and couldn't have turned out better. I appreciate their concern for safety above all else. Also, the crew worked tirelessly to bring in the sharks. Can't wait for my next dive!

3  Thank Dan Y
See more reviews
Reviewed February 15, 2012

My wife and I booked APEX mainly because of watching Shark week and seeing Chris on TV. We were pleasantly surprised to find Chris himself arrive to drive the boat. They keep the groups small and as such we all received individual attention. We went during the slow period and still saw a ton of shark activity. The cage dive was exciting but at the same time very professionally and safely done. All staff were knowledgeable and professional. They all seemed like they loved being out there and that made it more fun for us guests. Even after wards when I lost the contact info for a fellow guest Renee in the office tracked him down for me. I couldn't recommend this trip enough. I would have gone back every day if we had the time.

1  Thank JRK29
UltimateAirJaws, Manager at Apex Shark Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2012

Thank you for taking time out of your day to recommend our trip. We all love what we do and this makes the difference. We would have liked to see you everyday as well!