Open today: 7:00 AM - 5:00 PM

via mobile
Great Experience!

Reviewed September 17, 2018
FarAway166929

All reviews great whites seal island shark breaching shark week white shark captain and crew bucket list wet suits afternoon trip big sharks fish head wild animals cape town other companies natural predation an amazing experience small group
Reviewed 5 days ago

You have to avoid absolutely this company if you do not want to ruin your holidays. In our case, the team of the company has changed at the last time the journey under the pretext that the weather condition was bad. Initially the sharks trip was scheduled the afternoon. They did decide to do it in the morning instead of the afternoon. After a long trip from Amsterdam , we arrived at Cape town at 11.00 PM . The day after , after few hours sleeping, we were 10 minutes late , knowing that it takes 1 hour driving from our Airbnb and Simon's town : the company decided not to wait for us and charged immediately 100% the credit card. They did not try to propose anything else ; they were really not concerned .... they have no any commercial spirit ... Moreover it was impossible to discuss with someone of the company : each time the door is closed and the only thing they do is sending emails with no any proposal .... To avoid absolutely this company !
Alain

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded yesterday

In response to this review, please allow us to simply copy and paste the correspondence between Mr. Alain Felix and ourselves, but before I do that, I want to clarify two points brought up in the review. A. We did ask the guest to move to the AM trip (as we did 3 other bookings for that day) as the weather forecast would not allow a safe afternoon trip, or they were welcome to reschedule to another day that better suited them if they didn’t want to join that morning. B. The meeting time is 06.40 with a strict 07.00 am departure. The guests arrived at the Pier after 07h20, the boat waited until 07h10 with what would have been a full boat of other guests.

1. “Hi Nadine
We have just landed
It was impossible to answer to your email as we were in the aircraft
So we do confirm for tomorrow morning 6h40 AM
We have a car
We will be a family of 5 people
Alain”

2. The cancellation policy as signed by Mr A Felix in Gronville on the 16th July 2018:
“PLANES & TRAINS DON’T WAIT ~ NOR DO BOATS!! If you are late and miss the boat, you will be charged in full as a “no show”. Please make sure you know where we are situated.
Exclusive Hire & Groups 5 or more
 16-30 days prior to start date 50% cancellation fee
 15 days before start date – 100% cancellation fee
Individuals & Groups less than 4
 Less than 7 days -50% cancellation fee
 48 hours before the start date – 100% cancellation fee
Should the trip be cancelled by ASEC, then we will refund 100% of the deposit.
We do our best to find sharks on our trips. However, as with all wild animals there is no 100% guarantee that you will see sharks. No refunds will be made for non-sightings.
I have read and accept the above cancellation policy structure listed above. Should the trip be cancelled due to bad weather, no cancellation fee will apply and deposits will be refunded.”

3. And finally I include one of many “blackmail threats” to ruin our reputation.
“Hereunder the comment I put in trip advisor website. It is the first comment. Other comments will follow as we were 5 people scheduled to your shark trip. I think we are not fully responsible for that trouble. You did change the condition less than 24 hours before the trip. That’s why I want 50% my money back. If not, we will continue to add comments on websites, such as Lonely planet, facebook …. Etc”

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Never in my entire life did I experience something so intense it was money well spent could not believe the adrenaline I felt must do it again in the future will recommend to anyone

Reviewed September 17, 2018

Capt. Rob and his whole crew are terrific. From booking through the tour and back to the dock everyone was great. On the way out to Seal Island we saw one whale.
The tour was very organized and everyone was very helpful and provided us with so much information on the sharks, seals and other local animals and sea life. Having the hooka air system really made the experience much better. It was a chilly morning for our tour but the layout of the boat We were able to stay down the whole time in the cage and never missed a "swim by" from any of the sharks. If you are looking for a great adventure, contact the African Shark Eco Charter folks...you will not be disappointed
Ken D, Deland Florida

Reviewed September 14, 2018 via mobile

After much research we chose ASEC so save yourself the legwork and book them now! 15 on the boat and that seemed a lot until the first group went in then gt all ran very smoothly. We all got to spend at least 20 minutes with 2 metre + seven fins the weather was crap but you didn't really notice with the friendly informative crew and magnificent fish! If you are thinking about it do it! And dont worry about age i am a 58 year old with a dodgy leg! They are also the only boat that offers piped air so you dont have to surface for 20 minutes! Thanks to all a ASEC. X

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2018

Thank you for your review. We really appreciate it and glad you had a good trip.

Reviewed September 7, 2018

We booked the early morning sunrise trip and had a whale of a time!!
A party of four, 1-viewer and 3 shark cage divers.
We all loved it from first minute until the last despite the cold September morning weather.
The guys were all knowledgeable and fun with an obvious interest in what they were doing and also seemed to really want us to share and enjoy the wildlife experiences.
We saw seals at the Island hard to miss them. :) Then we dived and spent as long as we could handle in the water with 7-gill sharks. Sadly no great whites but we had been warned that they hadn't been seen for a while. It was exciting and interesting in the cage.
Then for an unexpected bonus on the return trip we de-toured to see some amazing close-up encounters with several whales. Not sure if this is a usual part of the trip but we absolutely loved it!!
Big thanks for a memorable morning to the whole team.

Reviewed September 1, 2018 via mobile

We read all the reviews and decided to sign up with ASEC. They sent reminders to ensure our punctual arrivals at 640 am on the pier. The boat, all equipment and wet suits seemed well maintained. Light snacks and refreshments were provided. Fleeced ponchos keep us warm. Eventhough I didn’t go into the cage dive because I got seasick, I enjoyed the excitement of seeing two cow sharks during our 4 hour trip.

1  Thank junesing
Reviewed August 19, 2018 via mobile

Thanks to Nadine for ensuring our shark diving experience was second to none! We will be back!

Jim Stoneham

1  Thank Jim S
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2018

Thank you for your review. Much appreciated.

Reviewed August 10, 2018 via mobile

My son went with ASEC and saw several huge great whites. So we took a go at it. We got lucky and saw a medium shark right away. The boat trip wasn’t bad to seal island. We tried going from Gansabai last fall and trip was cancelled due to orcas attacking the sharks. The afternoon trip was fantastic. What we liked about this company is the crew does a fantastic job educating you along the way about sea life. They also make an attempt to get to know each passenger. Safety was top notch as well as the quality of the boat.
They did a great job with communication. A bit of advice when planning a trip to South Africa that involves activities be aware that the weather fluctuates and things may get cancelled. You must be flexible with your itinerary

AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2018

Thank you for your lovely response. Our crew really tries hard to educate and interact with our guests and I am very glad that you had a great experience.

Reviewed August 2, 2018

We had a most fabulous experience with ASEC, all the staff were super friendly, helpful and informative! Highly recommend this experience for anyone who is brave, adventurous, and wants to make the most of what South Africa has to offer!

1  Thank Moishe L
Reviewed July 21, 2018

Seriously. This trip is so much fun, I've flown 13,000 miles on three separate occasions just to spend a few days out with Rob and the ASEC crew! I specifically call out the ASEC folks, because they're what make the experience so enjoyable.

Yes, you're out there to see the sharks, and make no mistake: they are magnificent and every bit as awe-inspiring as you think they could be. But every person on that boat shares in a deep passion for the sea and the creatures that dwell in it.

Rob is a wellspring of information, both academic as well as anecdotal. And bear in mind that anecdotal evidence is coming from the one person on the planet who has spent the most time at Seal Island! As I've said, I've made the trip out three times, gone on multiple tours, and not once have I seen him *not* captain the ship. I'm not sure he actually ever takes a day off! :) (Or maybe he just loves it so much that even when working, it still feels like a vacation to him. I wouldn't put it past him.) The rest of the crew work equally as hard to make sure you have a top-notch experience from the moment you board to the moment you're back on dry land.

And of course, what kind of review would this be without mentioning the wildlife. I say 'wildlife' because it can be so easy to be blinded by the sight of a 14-foot great white shark (and that is a valid response), but keep your eyes open for the other sights that nature has for you, both expected and unexpected. Seal Island itself is home to tens of thousands of cape fur seals which themselves are an impressive sight, ranging in size from massive bulls to cute and puppy-like. Whales and dolphins can also be seen, and on my most recent trip (the one which prompted this review), we saw a virtually unending flock of birds (for real... I have never seen that many birds in my life, and they just. Kept. *Coming.*) as well as an incredibly rare pod of orca!

If you're in Cape Town, are looking for a thrill or maybe are a fan of Shark Week, give ASEC a call and book a trip out. You're almost certain to have a great time, and maybe you'll come away with a whole new perspective on the ocean and those that live in it.

1  Thank Chris P
AIRJAWS, Owner at African Shark Eco-Charters, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2018

Thank you for your amazing and comprehensive review. Rob and the crew are really thrilled at your comments as they are so passionate and so glad it comes across.
Please keep joining us in the future. It was great to have you aboard with ASEC.