The experience is amazing but the room falls somewhat short. Understandable for what and where it is, and would still recommend as a must stay
Arriving is like being in a jungle. The smell of eclipses is magnificent. Monkeys are plentiful. It is like a hotel in treetops overlooking an animal watering hole. That is the big draw. Other than the viewing, there is not much else. There was a nature walk with a guard with a gun, but the main viewing is from the balcony with a bench seat and good view.
The staff is very tip focused but again that is prevalent all over Africa. It is common that with 2 small cases, they have 2 people to bring to lobby (so 2 people to tip) then another team brings form lobby to car (2 more people) a common theme all over.
The room is small with a double bed but comfortable enough. They also have a book so you can ask to be woken up for a specific animal if there is a sighting. We asked for leopards and were not disappointed; we had 2 sightings right at the watering hole visible form our balcony. They have special lights at night for us to see the animals. No safe in room and no hair dryer; bottled water free in room. All the hotels, we used bottled water for drinking and brushing teeth. Monkeys are common on the balcony, have to keep door closed to keep them out of the room.
Truly a mountain lodge. Quiet. Food ok not great but fine. Only stayed 1 night in our safari, 1 night was enough. We were able to see what we wanted. Lodge also has an underground passage to a viewing area closer to the watering hole for the animals. Saw plenty of Cape buffalo, bush pigs, reedbucks and other animals. Bathroom small with shower, towels were terrific large and luscious.
Unique setting and the viewing made it all worthwhile. Could sit on the balcony as there is a bench there, and just watch and take pictures. Also had in lodge other open viewing areas but we found the balcony off room was best. They had fire pits in hotel but did not light them the night we stayed on Sept 9th.
No swimming pool naturally, it is for viewing of animals primarily.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at 2,194 metres on the slopes of Mount Kenya, Serena Mountain Lodge is surrounded by a dense rainforest that comes alive at dusk with a myriad of sounds that make the African bush so special and exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Serena Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Serena Mountain Hotel Mount Kenya National Park
- Serena Mountain Lodge Kenya/Mount Kenya National Park