We spent the 1st night of our essence of Kenya safari here, after 36 hours travelling this place was heaven on earth and more, we were welcomed by the staff with a drink and shown to our rooms, these are basic but comfortable like a swiss lodge everything is wood, with a balcony overlooking the salt lick. We sat out on the balcony quitely watching herds of buffalo, warthogs, impala and monkeys milling around.
We chose to have a nap prior to dinner which was unfortunately disturbed (rather amusingly) by a burgling monkey going through our rucksac! Tip: keep your balcony door bolted. Dinner was fantastic the food was all cooked to perfection and the choice was large and varied shame our belies would not allow us to eat more. After dinner we received a tutorial about the location and wildlife that was both informative and interesting. We retired to our room to snuggle on our balcony under a blanket (quite chilly up the mountain) to watch wildlife in action, the salt lick is floodlit at night and were surprised to watch a hyena stalk and chase a impala and lots of night activity going on.
We retired to our bed both exhausted and excited, great touch was a hot water bottle each in the bed that helped send us snuggly off to sleep although the neighbours had asked for a call from the watchman if the elephants appeared which came about 4 in the morning, we had only requested a call for leopards as one had been seen the previous night. We found out in the morning they had gone down to the ground bunker next to the salt lick to be right next to them.
Breakfast was a large varity and just as sumptuous as the previous nights meal. The staff were pleasant and nothing was too much.
It was a real dissappointment to only have stayed one night, this place would be fantastic for a couple of nights to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at 2,194 metres on the slopes of Mount Kenya, Serena Mountain Lodge is surrounded by a dense rainforest that comes alive at dusk with a myriad of sounds that make the African bush so special and exhilarating. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jovago.com, Orbitz, Expedia and Booking.com so you can book your Serena Mountain Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Serena Mountain Hotel Mount Kenya National Park
- Serena Mountain Lodge Kenya/Mount Kenya National Park