“- Mount Kenya Snow cliimb”
Review of Mount Kenya

Mount Kenya
Book In Advance
More Info
$440.00*
and up
Mount Kenya Chimpanzee Sanctuary and Aberdares...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed September 23, 2015

i would like to thank the Equitorial star Adventures for the 6 days great and pocket friendly Trekking Adventure that they offered me together with the company through sirmon Choria route .

Early morning as I stepped through ice and snow. I concentrated on not falling off the cliff to the right, or at least what I thought was a cliff. With my small head torch in the pitch black of night I could not tell if the darkness to my left was a cliff or just a huge rock. My fingers hurt from the cold,
despite the snow gloves I wore. My heart pounded against my chest and my breathing was heavy as I tried to obtain the little oxygen in the air. I was wearing two socks, thermal leggings under snow pants, two jackets and a hat yet I was still cold. I found it hard to believe that I was still in Kenya.

If you looking to try out the same i would advice you bring along ;

1. Warm sleeping bag (rated to below freezing)
2. Small backpack to carry water, snacks, rain clothes, camera
11. Warm hat
12. Warm gloves - snow-gloves are the best for the top
13. Walking sticks if that's your thing
14. Snacks and two 1L water bottles
15. Powerpack for charging camera/phone (there is no power in the lodges)
16. Camera
17. Roll of toilet paper
18. Toiletries
The 6 days were like a trip out of Kenya . if you planing a trek in mt.kenya you definitely should choose Equitorial star Adventures .

I would like to thank our guides, porters, and cooks from Equatorial Star Adventure Safaris who made this trip possible for a student friendly budget.

1  Thank dancannjoroge
in 8 reviews
"making sure"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed September 22, 2015 via mobile

We climbed Mount Kenya on the Chogoria to Sirimon route over 5 days with the company Gotomountkenya.com. We only decided to go 1 week before starting yet the manager Evans was able to set things up in no time. He also advised me where to get new boots in Nairobi when my old ones disintegrated on a practice walk in Karura Forest. The whole thing ran like clockwork from the pick-up in Nairobi through to reaching the peak 5 mins before sunrise and all the way home.

We had 5 of the gotomountkenya team with us: Zachary (guide and bossman), David (cook) and Leeway, Paul and Samson (porters). They could not have been more helpful, friendlier or more capable. The food was outstanding and plentiful, and there is no way that we would have reached the summit on time without Zachary's advice (e.g. he insisted we leave the camp 30mins earlier than normal on summit day to compensate for our slow place and we arrived at the top bang on time). The other thing about this company is that they treat the staff well and they are clearly a happy and cohesive team. They also did some special personal touches (e.g. hot lunch by a stream on the descent while other groups seemed to do the whole walk without a break, offering us to camp rather than stay in the dormitory in the last night).

I would strongly advise taking 5 days and starting from Chogoria. The extra day allowed me to recover from altitude sickness and I might not have got to the top otherwise.

It was tough and cold and there were times we wished we had just gone to Zanzibar instead, but looking back it was one of the best things we did in 4 years in Kenya and is strongly recommended, both the climb and the company.

Reviewed September 21, 2015

Mount Kenya is an awe-inspiring mountain. The ragged series of peaks are crowned with snow. The slopes are thick with forest. Its wonderful at dawn. The early light silhouettes its impressive summit high over the surrounding plains.

Being a native of Mount Kenya area, Kirinyaga never ceases to inspire awe in me. This is not because it is the abode of our god, Ngai. It is a natural wonder...

The first time I ascended Mt Kenya (5199 metre) I didn't even know about mountaineering. It was jus for the adventure. I went back later.

Today, it is for me, a difficult technical climb to the summit. The lesser peak of Point Lenana (4985m) is easily mounted by fit trekkers on 3 and 5 day treks. You go through a fascinating world of forests, wildlife, unique montane vegetation before you sight one of the worlds rarest sights, equatorial snow.

From Nairobi, try Nanyuki or Naro Moru. Use charter flight to Nanyuki, bus/matatu or private transport. I have not yet gone the Chogoria route.

Mount Kenya is beyond words. Grab your mountain climbing gear. Visit your MD. Get there and enjoy the challenge whether just the climb, game viewing, camping, trout fishing, aaah! There's plenty on Mount Kenya. Look at the horizon, how far can you see?

Reviewed September 18, 2015

I completed a trek with guide John Karumba of Kenya Treks, along with a team of porters. Lucy Booth out of England did a great job setting up the trip which included accommodations at Boma Inn in Nairobi, Kongoni Camp in Nanyuki, along with excellent transportation recommendations. The Chogoria Route was spectacular and Lake Michaelson is incredible. One porter used nylon line, a hook, found a tree branch, and dug up some to catch five lake trout. They cleaned the fish and cooked them over an open fire, both for dinner and breakfast. This was a fantastic trip.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 15, 2015 via mobile

Having climbed Mt Kilimanjaro some 14 years ago, the lure of Mt Kenya never registered high on my bucket list. Boy was I wrong. With minimal preparation (no exercise and borrowed all my equipment the night before) I felt rather guilty and slightly apprehensive as we approached Nanyuki in the standard 14-seater (matatu). We had arranged the trip with Equitorial Star a few days before and was picked at our gate in Nairobi (albeit late) at 7 am. It was good preparation for the very basic amenities of the mountain that were to follow to spend the first day in a rattling matatu for a good 300 kms. We decided to start our climb at the park gate (Sirimon route) and spend the first night at Old Moses camp. The walk was very pleasant and apart from the very basic facilities, it was through and through a great way to start off. The second day we ascended from 3300 to 4200 m and the walk was magnificent from the high moor lands to the sunny valley with water falls and a fairy tale flora (Lord of the rings) to the rocky and barren landscapes above 4000 m. We had a hail shower that evening which left the peaks in sight in a beautiful winter coat. The starlit night sky was tantalizing. Have never seen such clear a Milky Way in my life. The night was a bit rough as mild mountain sickness set in. The third day was spent acclimatizing at the Shipton (base camp) and its environs. We did a rather neck breaking climb out to a ledge over looking the valley towards Naru Moru. Marvelous views. At on day four at 0245 we woke up to attempt the peak. After a sturdy breakfast we set out at 0330. The first 80% were steady, but the final ramble to the peak was tough. We reached just in time for the sunrise at around 0545. Our brilliant guide Patrick Goithi (0725 741 522) made all the difference. Apart from knowing the flora, fauna, history and weather conditions of the mountain inside out, he also reads his customers extremely well always knowing when he could push us further. A true mensch. The euphoria and exhaustion from the fantastic scenery and the feat of making the peak itself was almost eclipsed by the eerie moonscapes of the Chogoria descent. Whether it was the lack of oxygen or general fatigue the descent presented some of the most impressive mountain trekking I have ever done. When we finally reached the Chogoria gate at 2900 m after walking 12 hrs straight - an ice cold Tusker (Kenya's excellent lager) and out first hot shower (firewood heated) in three days was well received. The camp surroundings had plenty of game and were home to big cats, elephant and loads of buffalo. In summary an astounding and very authentic trip devoid of luxury but a one in a life time experience.