“Used to be a good mine but is played out now.”
Review of Gee & Dee Crystal

Gee & Dee Crystal
Ranked #2 of 3 things to do in Story
Colorado
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Used to be a good mine but is played out now.”
Reviewed October 12, 2010

I read the other reviews here and can't believe it. I went there and did not see one crystal on the ground in the dig site. I walked around and looked all over and couldn't see anything. I had previously been to three other mines and at both I saw crystals all over the place, small pieces lying on the ground, chunks with clusters on them. At Gee and Dee's I saw nothing. When both our group and another group were getting exhausted by digging for nothing, Dee said she would take us to her "private digging spot" where she assured us we would find more crystals. She said we weren't finding any because it hadn't rained lately. But, I saw plenty of crystals at the other mines we went to.
Well, at her "private spot" we found a few sparse ones in the topsoil but we were in the trees on the side of a hill where it hadn't been dug out at all yet. It is my understanding that to find good crystals you have to go through the stuff that is dug out by a backhoe, not pick at topsoil in the woods. I felt sorry for the other two groups that came while we were there and they too, did not find hardly anything. I think Gee and Dee's used to be a good mine but it is dug out now. They aren't maintaining it or digging out new stuff and it has been filled in and picked over now. And for twenty bucks for the day you expect to come away with more than a couple of little shards in your pocket. There are better mines that charge only ten a day.

4 Thank cchiker

Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Now that was totally unexpected!!! Had a blast”
Reviewed September 28, 2010

We have been to the Crater of Diamonds State Park in Murfreesboro several times. Never found much except a sunburn and ugly rocks LOL. We decided we didn't want to look for diamonds again and wanted to do something different. We were a little skeptical when we decided to go to look for crystals. I read reviews and decided to take a chance. We decided on Gee & Dee Crystals. The drive was beautiful. I knew that even if we didn't find any crystals that it was worth it just to get away and spend time with my hubby. We pulled up to the address and were greeted with a small house, out front were tables full of crystals. Before we got out of the car Dee was coming outside. She told us that she would take us to the mine, so we jumped back in the car and followed her to the mine. It really isn't that far away (maybe a mile or two). It was hot, bring clothes you don't mind getting dirty. (I would suggest the cooler months, it would have been more pleasant) You WILL need buckets. We thought, "Oh, we won't find much, no biggy" WRONG. LOL. You will need buckets!!! You will need shovels, you don't really need gloves unless you plan on digging to China. Crystals were litterally right there on the ground. Basically you just had to bend over and get them. It's not salted, just very abundant. The hill we looked on was slightly steep so you had to hold on to the trees to avoid falling. Dee is HILARIOUS. She helps you find the crystals and gives you everything you find. She told my husband and a swear this is a quote "You are gonna poop your knickers when you've seen what I found!" The whole time she was oooing and aaaaing as she dug out crystals from the earth. (Dee is quite a character!) She is just like your grandma, and the sweetest woman. She is down to earth, and tells it like it is. We enjoyed every second with her. When we left it was like saying good bye to a good friend. Bring cold drinks and stuff to carry your loot. We had a blast and will be back. You can mine all day but we had found so much we didn't want to load our car down anymore!! (P.S. the road is a little rough going to the mine, we drove a compact car and made it ok, but it was a little harry in places) We found beautiful pieces to share with our family and friends, but more importantly had a great time and got closer as couple. : )

5 Thank rockhounds123
Garland, Texas
“Wonderful day”
Reviewed July 6, 2010

Just got back from July 4th long weekend. Really enjoyed Crystal digging in Gee&Dee Crystal. They are wonderful and friendly people. Taught us how to find Crystal and we really did find a lot of Crystal with different sizes. It was so much fun!!! I definitely recommended people to Gee&Dee Crystal. By the way, we are 12 people group but everyone enjoyed whole experience.

Kansas
“Excellent experience!”
Reviewed March 3, 2010

My husband and nine-year-old son have been to several pay-to-dig mines in the Mt. Ida area, but Gee and Dee is by far the best. We have been several times and are always greeted with true hospitality. Unlike other places which only allow digging in the tailings, Gee and Dee is a completely different experience. You will be allowed access everywhere except possibly the actual pit. It isn't hard to find more than $20 of crystals. While you are there, ask Dee about Gee's CD...he plays some of the best bluegrass I've heard, and his CD is one of our favorites!

Fort Worth, TX
220 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 343 helpful votes
“Personal attention and 30+ years of experience”
Reviewed January 4, 2010

We didn't know what to expect as my family had never done this before. We drove up to their house and Dee came out to greet us to tell us about their mine, show us some of the crystal specimens, and let us play with their dogs. We immediately knew this wasn't some commercial business, but a family operation run by Dee and Gee (husband and wife) themselves. They both jumped in their truck and drove us up to their mine. They didn't leave us, but rather got their tools and work clothes on and dug with us the entire day. After 10 minutes of working with them, it was like we were part of the family - teasing each other, sharing funny stories and having a great time finding some incredible crystals. My daughter took to Dee immediately and they were like inseperable best friends all day. The entire day they freely shared their tools and their 30 years of experiecne to ensure we had a fun time and found some awesome crystals. The end result of the day - 5 buckets full of incredible crystals, and hugs all around for Dee.

We were worn out, tired, had mud all over us..and wouldn't have traded it for anything.

3 Thank TexasTraveller56