“Not so great”

Cuisines: Mexican
Fayetteville, Arkansas
“Not so great”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

There was definitely nothing spectacular about this Mexican restaurant. It was average, at best. It was a little warm inside, as their A/C did not seem to be able to keep up with the 90-degree weather outside. After we were seated, it was about 5-7 minutes before our server came to get our soft drink order. The chips were good and the salsa was ok (a little too runny though). Our food came quickly once we did order and it was hot. We ordered a "shooter burrito" and a combo with a burrito-style enchilada and a stuffed jalepeno. The food was okay. Certainly not the best Mexican food we've ever eaten, but it wasn't terrible either (maybe a little bland). Our server wasn't very attentive as our empty cups sat on the table for a while. The bill (for two) was just over $30 with tip, which was NOT worth it. I would say, save your money and visit Taco Bueno or Taco Bell instead!

• Visited June 2013

Fort Worth, Texas
“Three words: bad, bad, bad”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Let me begin by saying that coming from Texas, I know better than to eat Mexican food in out-of-state restaurants. But my husband's employee said what a great place this was to eat, so we gave it a try. There were 5 of us, and I knew pretty much immediately (when I ordered corn tortillas with butter and the butter they brought was sour) that eating there was a huge mistake. By the time our food came, one of the people at our table took one whiff of her half-order of nachos and became physically ill, having to make two trips to the ladies room, and never actually ate her meal. Nor did she take it with her. My husband had nachos, and people, that's a hard Tex-Mex dish to screw up, but they did. Chalk it up to just plain bad food. I got the chicken enchiladas and quit about 3 bites in. Finally, one of the men in our party asked the guy who recommended the place to us why, and he said he was drunk when he at there so he guessed his judgment was bad. I'll say. Now this place has made my "Don't Go There" list. Save yourself.

• Visited May 2013
Springdale, Arkansas
“Stick to drinks, this food is terrible”
Reviewed May 14, 2013

I'm not even sure this food can be classified as Mexican or Tex-Mex. It's bland & terrible. I had the fajitas, which were the worst I have ever had. It looked like they just grilled a chicken breast, then sliced it up on top of a bed of sauteed onions. The chicken was dry and bland. My wife had their street tacos, and they were hands down the worst in the area. The "beef" tasted more like bad beef jerky. She couldn't finish it. Out of our party of 8, nobody had compliments for the food, and half didn't finish their meals. Come here for the drinks, but I'd recommend eating elsewhere.

• Visited May 2013
Fort Smith
“Worst Mexican Restaurant Experience Ever”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

After almost 50 years of eating in Mexican restaurants, I reached a new low at this restaurant. We visited due to a coupon (1/2 off second entrée).
From the beginning, things weren't good. Quality and taste of chips was bland and salsa was tasteless with no spice or heat to it whatsoever. We asked the waitress to take them of the table (first time ever in Mexican restaurant). Entrees appeared to be on high side for price but we finally ordered two enchilada entrees featuring two enchiladas - one chicken, one Monterrey Jack cheese with a cheese sauce on top. Price $9.99 each (probably $7.95 or less at similar restaurants). The cheese sauce on top wasn't really warm. The chicken enchilada had plenty of chicken but very dry taste, especially with lukewarm tortilla (thicker than normal for enchilada) and lukewarm at best cheese sauce. The Monterrey Jack enchilada had no taste, just a rubbery consistency. I expected some taste and heat to Monterrey Jack cheese but this had none.
I remember the original Jose's on Dickson Street in Fayetteville when I was in college and the $2.00 lunch specials (it's been a while). We ate lunch there once or twice a week and always enjoyed the food. I had expected a lot more from this restaurant but obviously no relationship to what I remember.
Better alternative: stop at grocery store and pick up El Charrito TV dinner. If you're eating out, Taco Bell runs circles around Jose's Southwest Grille.

• Visited April 2013