“A step back to the Roaring 20's”

Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources
Ranked #1 of 1 things to do in Smackover
Reviewed December 26, 2013

This place has grown a lot over the past 20 years with outdoor exhibits of oil drilling and pumping units and educational indoor displays. There are hands on activities to keep folks engaged for an hour or two. Don't miss the annusl Christmas light display. It gets bigger and better every year! Chataqua is another fun experience with actors portraying famous folks through history.

3  Thank tomhogfan
There are newer reviews for Arkansas Museum of Natural Resources

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Visited the museum with a family reunion group. The museum gives an excellent history of the Arkansas oil boom of the 1920's with photos, videos and a recreated boom town to include a newspaper office, hotel, jail, etc. There is narration in several of the 'buildings' which present conversations and history. The exhibits take you back to that time period and give you a sense of what it was like in Arkansas during the oil boom. In addition, there are sections on the history and use of oil an brine and a kids section. There is an outdoor park with oil field equipment, etc. which we did not have time to see. Expect we will return next year to see the outside exhibits. The attendants were friendly and knowledgeable. Admission is free. This museum is a little jewel and well worth a visit.

1  Thank filtex
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Museum had some interesting exhibits. It was nice to step back in time. The kids really enjoyed it and it's FREE!!

1  Thank legalree
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We were not expecting to go to this attraction, but our relatives took us here. It was me, and my two kids ages 13 and 10. It starts out with displays of the different resources and the tools used to 'harvest' these resources. You take an elevator and on either side as you go up it shows and talks about how 'bryne' and oil were made. When you step out of the elevator on the second floor, you start your actual tour with the tools and life of the people. There was even a small 'old' time town. I and my aunt and uncle could have spent hours there, but the kids weren't too interested in that stuff. They found their way to the kids interactive section. They spent a lot of time in this section.

I found it very interesting that we learn about a lot of American history and expansion, but don't really hear anything about the oil 'boon' in Arkansas.

Since El Dorado is such a small town and there isn't much to do, I found this very interesting and well done. Even though the kids didn't seem to enjoy the history part of the museum, they asked to go back to it many times while were in l Dorado.

Oh and the museum is FREE!!!! Donations are accepted. My kids even dug into their own wallets and donated money. The staff there was helpful and EXTREMELY knowledgeable about the the history and the resources of Arkansas and the area. They answered many questions.

1  Thank Angie M
Reviewed March 19, 2013

My family lived in the oil fields of this area and a visit to this museum brought back memories of both my grandfathers. They had told me stories of giant, open air oil storage pits in the '30s and I found photos at the museum of those pits. Grandpas don't fib! The museum is well laid out and very descriptive of the industry.

1  Thank BiggieSauls