“Local place beats IHOP”

Just Like Mom's
San Antonio, Texas
“Local place beats IHOP”
Reviewed January 19, 2010

We tried for Breakfast. It was ok- the sausage gravy was very good. It was homemade with real sausage. The biscuits were a bit over baked- burnt on the bottom. The helpings were very large. Big juice, big pancakes ect. It was fine for a little local place- not great but OK.

I thought the pancakes tasted a bit strange. It must be the mix they use. I didn't like them very much but the eggs, hash browns ect. were fine. The hours are a bit strange- M-F the close at 9:30am- Sat. Breakfast is done at 10:30am- then the reopen later on for lunch/dinner.

It seems like a friendly place- everyone stared when we walked in- I guess because they didn't know us. I felt like a "non-local" if you know what I mean. The staff was nice but the service was a bit slow.

sherwood
“Not like my mom's!”
Reviewed February 18, 2008

The people were nice enough I suppose, however the food was horrible! It was very generic, no seasoning, no flavor. Even the drinks (we had Dr. Pepper and tea) were flat and had an almost metallic taste. How bad must one be to mess up Dr. Pepper? That is exactly my point. I didn't feel especially "welcome", or "like family". It felt and tasted much more like a mass produced fast food place than any other mom-and-pop restaurant I've ever been to. I've been to many small diner's that are exceptional, and growing up in the south I love that traditional southern type of cuisine. However, this restaurant is the poorest example of southern/down home cooking I have ever experienced. So please, If you are from out of town and have tried this establishment, don't judge all southern cooking by what you tasted, or should I say did not taste, there.

1 Thank honestandopinionated
Sherwood, AR
“I feel like family here”
Reviewed July 23, 2007

I love this place. If you eat here a few times, you begin to feel like family. Everyone knows everyone else. It's fun, and the food is great. The desserts are to die for.