“Dandy Don's dining advice”

Old South Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 101 Restaurants in Russellville
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Good breakfast special- 2eggs, choice of bacon or sausage, choice of grits or hash browns, biscuit or toast and coffee for about $7. My favorite is the chicken fried steak with gravy and baked tater. Sweet tea is good. Atmosphere great - like stepping back in time 50-60 years ago. Lot of folks like the Sunday special. Give it a try!

1  Thank Don B

Reviewed February 20, 2013

We would stay in Russellville when visiting my Grandparents back in the 60's and I remember eating here and the great food a kid could get. Rediscovering this place after all those years I was surprised to see that there's a lot that is still around in this place. The booths, the counter, the food. Good food, and a great nostalgic feeling to the place. Ok, so the food isn't gourmet, and it can be listed on the local greasy spoon spot, but there is just a lot of memories that I had of this place, and when I went back in, they came back, and indeed they were good memories of the place and it's food. Give it a try, and don't forget dessert!

2  Thank AvardCurt
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Has a faithful following but the food is generaly just good average cafe food. Has a reputation of quality changing quickly if there is a new cook. Some folks say the food is always great.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

I wish I could rate this as at least average, but we didn't have a great experience. First, the waitress brought us the wrong meals. We should have just taken them, because we waited a really long time to get our food. I ordered a dinner salad - which consisted of iceburg lettuce with shredded carrots. When our meals finally came the was ok...I'll give it a C+. The wait staff was really nice and did their best to improve our dining experience. There is a nice hometown feel to the restaurant - the staff and locals seem to know one another. This is a diner from the 50's, so the decor is old and kinda beat up. This wasn't a terrible experience, but it wasn't good either.

1  Thank jcr_atx
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Eating here is like stepping back in time. It still has a serving counter up front and a large dining area in the back. They serve breakfast, lunch and dinner in a family like atmosphere out of the 60's. Food is ok, but not exceptional. Service is good. Prices are reasonable.

1  Thank Gorj