“Location, Value, and Service Make this a Winner”
Review of Petra Moon Hotel

Petra Moon Hotel
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
New York City, New York
“Location, Value, and Service Make this a Winner”
Reviewed January 27, 2012

THE HIGHS: At about $65 US per night for a newly renovated hotel, this may be the best value in Jordan; Outstanding service and friendly staff; Surprisingly robust breakfast buffet; Free internet in the lobby; Phenomenal location right next to the gate to Petra

THE LOWS: No Alcohol Service at Dinner; No internet service in room (but this is likely to change); Too many Europeans use the otherwise comfortable lobby as a smoking lounge.

THE CURIOUS: The little sign in the bathroom asking you to discard your bathroom tissue in the wastebasket as opposed to flushing it. Did this mean they wanted my used toilet paper in the trash can and not the toilet bowl? And if so, I wonder how many other travelers besides myself completely ignored this request?

THE VERDICT: Newly renovated beautiful hotel rooms? A location right at the gates of Petra? Half the price of the Moevenpick or Crowne Plaza? Sign me up!

In Aqaba and at the Dead Sea, you will likely spend much of your day in a resort hotel. Thus, for those locations, I heartily recommend that you pony up some cash and select a nice multi-room suite that you will enjoy spending time in. But in Petra, you will be spending your day exploring the magnificent ruins and your hotel room is little more than a place to shower before dinner and then lay your head down at night. Therefore, while there are nicer hotels in Petra, the recently renovated, sparkling clean, and surprisingly plush rooms at the Petra Moon Hotel make for an excellent (and smart) lodging choice.

Although some of the printed guides may refer to the Petra Moon Hotel as a two star location, the entire hotel was renovated about seven months before the writing of this review. It is definitely NOT a two star hotel. The rooms are spacious, and feature comfortable beds with soft sheets and plush duvets. Each room has been repainted, remodeled, and wholly refurnished, and comes complete with a flat screen TV, DVD player, and satellite TV receiver that gets about 1000 channels from countries all over the Middle East. That’s no exaggeration- you get about 1000 channels. At night before bed, I found it great fun to explore the channels and tune in to stations from Iran, Iraq, Syria, and Saudia Arabia. Naturally, there is a splattering of American channels as well. The bathrooms are also completely remodeled and are quite chic considering the price of the room. The showers were spacious and equipped with nifty massaging showerheads that could be removed from their mount and used as a body washer. The towels feature a cool little embroidered image of Petra. There was a little sign in the bathroom asking you to discard your bathroom tissue in the wastebasket as opposed to flushing it. I do not know if this sign referred to toilet paper or feminine hygiene products, but regardless I was not about to put my soiled toilet paper in a trashcan. It flushed just fine. The rooms did not have internet when I stayed there, but it looked like the hotel was beginning to install wireless hardware so that this service may be available in the near future. Regardless, there is free WiFi in the lobby. The heat turns off when you pull your card-key from the special slot and leave your room- but don't worry, the heat BLASTS when you turn it back on. The room goes from cold to cozy in about two minutes flat. If you visit during the summer months, I expect the A/C to function in the same way.

The room comes complete with a free buffet breakfast which is surprisingly robust. From eggs, to meats, to grains, to cereals, to fruits, to vegetables, to juices… you have plenty of choices and will leave on a full stomach. One day even featured an omelet station. A neat touch is that the hotel gives each breakfast attendant a little plastic bottle of water that can fit in a purse or even a large jacket pocket—it is meant to be taken with you and comes in quite handy as your thirst builds from charging around Petra later in the day. There is a dinner buffet for about $13 US per person, but the wife and I skipped it to head to a Yemeni restaurant we had read about. Another guest who attended the Petra Moon Dinner Buffet described it as “quite nice.” There is no alcohol service in the hotel, but this is not the end of the world for two reasons. First, you are right across the street from the Cave Bar- which is a spectacular location to have a beer or a cocktail, hit the “hubbly bubbly” (hookah), and unwind after a long day of sightseeing—the Cave Bar should not be missed. Secondly, the staff has no problem if you bring in outside alcohol. I had purchased a case of St. George’s Wine from the Zumot Tasting Room in Amman (another amazing experience not to be missed; see www.zumot-wines.com). When my wife and I sat in the lobby to access the internet each of the two nights we were there, I tipped a staff attendant two dinars, and he was quite happy to open one of our bottles of wine and bring us two wine glasses. On the second night, he even went to the kitchen (unprompted) and put together a small vegetable plate to enjoy with our wine, surprised us with it, subsequently rejected my second two dinar tip, and said “Welcome to Jordan, Mr. Timothy.” The guy really just wanted to show us hospitality, and my wife and I were very touched. The service in the hotel is superb, and all staff members seem to be under the watchful eyes of the very competent managers at all times. Their goal is to present a professional and welcoming image, and I believe they succeed at doing so. I should note that the lobby is well decorated and furnished with comfortable chairs and couches (see photo). The only problem I encountered there was with the other guests- European travelers were using it as a smoking lounge and though I enjoy a cigarette or cigar on occasion, their relentless chain smoking can become somewhat of a nuisance in enclosed spaces. A “no smoking” section of the lobby might be something for the hotel to look into… Or just throw buckets of water on the Europeans… Either one works for me.

There is no gym at the hotel, but exploring Petra means hours of walking and climbing—you will get a workout whether you want one or not, so pardon the pun, but “don’t sweat” the absence of a gym. You can also not dial out of the hotel from the phone in your room—but when I needed to call Hertz in Amman, the manager was happy to lend me his office and let me use his phone. (On an unrelated side note: If you rent a car, don’t bother with paying extra for a GPS… they just don’t work in Jordan and the country is very easy to navigate using a good map). The staff at the Petra Moon will also happily let you use the front desk phone for calls within Jordan. This seems to be a complimentary service too.

Given that there is no room service, spa, gym, business center, or in-room internet, I would not go so far as to classify the Petra Moon as a four star hotel. However, the actual rooms are easily four star quality, and the hotel overall is certainly on the cusp of being a four star hotel—Let’s call it three and a half stars. I love Moevenpick and Crowne Plaza hotels, but ask yourself: Do you really value room service, a spa, or a business center so much that you would pay for a room in one of those places when you could have the same room at the Petra Moon half priced? Can you live without those amenities for one or two nights? Given the brief amount of time I was in Petra (two nights), and my main purpose for being there (exploring, not lounging), the choice was easy. Give me the great hotel room, great service, and great value for my money. Give me the Petra Moon Hotel.

Room Tip: You will be exploring Petra and spending little time in the room, unlike in Aqaba and in the Dead Se...
6 Thank Timothy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed January 27, 2012

Hotel is right next to the Petra entrance, and is a lovely hotel given its star rating. The food at dinner was ok, I would recommend going to one of the many restaurants nearby instead. Staff were friendly and welcoming. In fact they knew exactly who we were as soon as we arrived. Definitely recommend.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 27, 2012

On a recent trip to Jordan we stayed at the Petra Moon and it was the nicest hotel of our entire trip!! Here are just some of the good things we found there:

*LOCATION, LOCATION , LOCATION as they way!! The Petra moon is just around the corner and in full view of the entrance to Petra! This is a huge plus because the main passage or 'sig' into where the best ruins start is a 2 kilometer walk - before you go on to walk 2 or 3 more kilometers to see the many other things within, so we sure didn't want to be in one of the hotels further out. Before we booked, we looked at a number of other hotels and then we realized that a lot of the other ones were not truthful in their advertising and were misleading about how far they are from the Petra entrance. We saw ones that said things like 200 or 500 meters from Petra and when I looked them up via satellite map they turned out to be 5 or more kilometers from the entrance! (they may have meant the town, but it's still misleading advertising) While there we met up with friends who had booked near us and they chose a hotel that said it was 250 meters from the entrance so they figured they would be "just up the street from us". Unfortunately they ended up several miles away on the other side of town instead! Luckily, they were able to get a shuttle in from their hotel at 8am every morning, but they then had to take a Taxi back each afternoon. The Petra Moon hotel really IS at the gateway.

* We stayed in a beautiful room with all new fittings, HUGE and very comfortable King size bed, with lovely clean linen and spreads. Rooms are exactly as shown in the photos on their website. We were there in winter, but the room was well heated so even when the temperature dropped to freezing one night, our room was lovely. The view was great too and we could actually see some of the ruins of Petra right from our window. (not all windows face Petra, so do ask for one)

* The bathroom was lovely, the shower had plenty of water and all the fittings were new, modern and good quality. I was left wishing I had the same type of fold out makeup mirror and automatic hair dryer at home!

* All the staff were VERY helpful and genuine. We were met at the door by someone to help take our bags to the room. There were several staff on duty every day for breakfast so they could make you a fresh omelet on the spot or top up your coffee without you leaving your seat. At the buffet dinner (which cost only $10 Jordanian Dinars) there were staff there serving AND even the chef to explain what each dish was. Desk reception was always helpful about WIFI or booking taxi's or tours. Some nights they couldn't offer the buffet because there were not enough guests to be able to put it on, but on those nights they would still offer a decent choice menu to be made up for you at the same price, if you didn't want to have to go out to eat.

*The Buffet breakfast and evening dinner buffet were very big, with lots of choice and the food really good quality. At least six different hot breakfast choices (besides the fresh omelet option) as well as lots of fruits, different breads, cheeses, cereals and vegies.

* If you wanted to watch TV or DVD's at night, the room had a lovely big flat screen TV with Satellite and something over 100 channels in all languages.

* Free WIFI was a plus when we wanted to keep up with a few emails. It is only available in the lobby, but the lobby is very big and comfortable, so it was quite pleasant to sit there for a while when we wanted to be online.

* In terms of safety, we found not only the hotel, but all of Jordan to be really safe. There was a safe in the room that we used, but I don't think it would have mattered. Everywhere we went we found people to be honest and kind. Traders of course wanted to sell us everything in the stalls at Petra and haggle outrageously about the price(what fun!), but at no time did we have anyone try to steal from us or do anything that we felt at all worried or uncomfortable about. In fact while there we felt bad for the hotel and other places in Jordan that are really suffering because of such low tourism at the present time. We realized that because of the troubles in other parts of the middle east this past year it seems people are giving Jordan a miss too, even though there are no problems there. In fact it was our first visit and we loved Jordan and wished we would have known to book for longer and go to the Roman ruins up north as well. Petra itself had really low numbers of tourists as well and the Bedouins who make their living through providing camel, mule and horse rides and selling at stalls are really doing it rough! On the other hand, because of the low tourism we also got REALLY good deals at the hotel and other places!

All in all our experience at this hotel was really positive and we would love to go back!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the Petra side for the best view.
1 Thank Kris B
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed January 24, 2012

On a recent trip to Jordan, my friend and I stayed at the fabulous Petra Moon Hotel. Located very close to the gates of the city, Petra Moon is ideally situated in the town.
I found the hotel to be the best I have encountered on my trip. The decor is very modern, and the rooms were scrupulously clean and comfortable. The restaurant in the hotel is excellent, offering an extensive breakfast buffet, and even offering suggestions of authentic Jordanian recipes for lunches and dinners, all delicious.
I could not speak highly enough of the staff in this hotel. Without exception, they are courteous and take pride in going out of their way to ensure visitors to their hotel are happy and comfortable.
Highly recommend staying at the Petra Moon hotel, do not have a bad word to say about it.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Amman, Jordan
Reviewed January 24, 2012

i spent amazing three days with my family there..i gonna tell my friends about my experince there

• Stayed October 2011
Reviewed January 20, 2012

After a couple of nights at the 5-star Movenpick Dead Sea Resort, we thought it would be a big step down to this "mid-range" hotel right next to the entrance to Petra... Not so.

Really good, clean, modern, friendly hotel! Breakfast buffet was delicious and just what we needed to prepare for out 9hr trek in Petra, and the dinner buffet was a very nice surprise. We were too knackered to go out and thought we'd give the 10JD (less than £10) buffet a try and dispite being quite fussy the 3 course offerings were pretty much all great!

Highly recommend this place, it is a bit of a travellers haven and fairly basic, also it's dry with no bar... That said, it more than exceeded our expectations! 10/10

• Stayed January 2012
1 Thank Bazzaldo
Solihull
Reviewed January 20, 2012

A decent, clean, reasonably priced modern hotel. If you want to be near the entrance to Petra, this is the place to stay.
A good breakfast with so much choice! Staff very friendly and overall good service.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends