“Good Hotel”

Movenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel
Ranked #27 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed May 23, 2013

The lobby was beautiful. The room was adequate. It was clean and had all the basics. The buffet for breakfast was excellent. It had everything from western choices and local dishes. We also ate dinner at the buffet anf that had a huge selection to choose from. The location was the best part of this hotel. Petra was right there.

Room Tip: We had a room on the street side right next to street and entrance to Petra and it was quite.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really don't know understand some of the "excellent" reviews of this hotel. I paid more than $200 a night for this hotel, and got a room that hasn't been updated in at least 4 decades. That alone wouldn't be a problem, but the bathroom smelled, it was like stale urine, I really didn't even want to go barefoot in there, I wore slippers in the shower even. I really haven't seen a hotel rooms this bad in a very long time, and certainly not from a major chain like Moevenpick. I will never again book a Moevenpick just assuming it must be OK, because it is after all a Moevenpick hotel.

I will agree with other reviews the breakfast was nice with a lot of choices. But the dinner buffet was really not good at all, sure there were plenty of choices but the quality of the food, and the preparation of the dishes were minimal at best, and well, down-right cheep at worst. I've had better food from the freezer, which is where I suspect most of these dishes came from as well.

This is one of those hotels that plays the bait and switch game to an extreme. Bait customers with a beautiful lobby, restaurant and public areas, then switch them to a room that doesn't remotely compare in anyway. It's a deceptive practice I find most egregious.

Upon arrival, there was a lone security guard out front, and I actually thought the hotel was closed. Even in the lobby there were no lights, and I wasn't sure it was open for business.

As to location, I think some people are confusing this hotel with the other Moevenpick at Petra, since some reviewers are saying it's a 5-10 minute walk to Petra. There is no way you can walk to Petra from this hotel. It's a pretty decent drive, let alone walk. There is another Moevenpick right at the entrance to Petra, I haven't stayed there, but I am sure it HAS to be better than this one.

This is only the second hotel I've give a terrible rating to, it's something I genuinely reserve for the worst either for service or facilities. This property earned it on both counts.

Room Tip: The best rooms will be at another hotel.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank autobiztravel
Reviewed March 30, 2013

It is a beautiful hotel in a beautiful setting with great service. Unfortunately, the rooms haven't been updated in years, and it is certainly not up to the standards of a 5-star hotel. You should also not stay in this hotel if you don't have a car. Nothing is really within walking distance of the hotel (despite what other reviewers have said) and it is at least a 7 minute drive to the entrance to Petra. I think some reviewers may have confused this hotel with the one adjacent to the Petra Visitor Center (called Moevenpick Resort Petra). The hotel is on the road into Wadi Musa so it would be quite a walk up/down the hill to even go to a restaurant outside the hotel (let alone all the way to the Petra Visitor Center).

When we arrived in the afternoon, the hotel was quiet (everyone was at Petra) and they brought us juice as we were checking in (tasted like Cranberry but they said a native fruit). The front desk staff was very kind but did push a little for us to take the "Petra by Night" tour (we decided against).

The rooms were not bad, they simply hadn't been updated in at least a decade. The only real issue we had was that the shower head sprayed sideways (and not forward). We discovered this around 10:30pm but a mechanic came by and had it fixed in 10 minutes. The water pressure was still low but certainly workable.

Our balcony was right over the overhang in the front of the hotel so there wasn't much of a view of anything (I would not recommend rooms 509-515 for this reason). However, the view from my parents' room on the north side of the hotel looked out over the mountains and was beautiful.

Breakfast was included and was fairly extensive. They made an omelette for us (even though the ingredients were limited) and they had lots of pastries, cereal, fruits, and deli meats/cheeses. I would not say the food was spectacular but for a "free" breakfast, it was decent.

Bottom line: if you have a car, find a good price, and don't mind the outdated rooms, it's definitely seems to be one of the better hotels in the Petra area. However, if the price of the Mövenpick Resort Petra is not too much more, I'd recommend staying there instead.

Room Tip: All rooms have two double beds. North side and west side rooms should have a nice view of the mounta...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jeremy F
Reviewed November 20, 2012

My husband and I decided to go to Petra for our first wedding anniversary. We decided to splurge and stay at the Moevenpick Nabatean. It was fabulous. We were so thankful to return to the luxury of the Moevenpick everyday after our exciting and exhausting days in Petra. The famous Moevenpick, Swiss ice cream tasted so good after a long day of walking and exploring.

The hotel had a special during the Christmas holiday that gave a free night's stay after purchasing two nights at the hotel. We loved meeting friends for drinks at the Moroccan bar with the lovely decor (despite the singer singing cheesy Rod Stewart tunes), having huge breakfasts at the Al Saraya restaurant, and having our anniversary dinner at the Al Iwan restaurant.

Our room was comfortable, impeccably clean, and well maintained. Besides the complimentary fruit, mini bar, and water, we also found traditional Jordanian sweets in our room on Christmas day. The staff was outstanding! They were professional, efficient, and caring. We felt very pampered and cared for.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I've got to agree with the other reviews on this site, the Moevenpick Nabatean Castle Hotel doesn't deserve the stars, and certainly didn't look the way it does in the pictures.

The bedrooms, decor, beds and bathrooms are something you'd expect from an old motel. Carpet was waterstained and smelly, bathrooms were dated and the grounds felt like they were still in the contruction phase.

Service was very friendly, but disorganised, felt like they'd just re-opened for the tour we were on and otherwise were pretty much abandoned.

Food - not particularly memorable, but passable... all made up for, nearly... by the view.
Watching the sun go down over Jordan from their balcony, was an extraordinary experience.

Room Tip: Good luck! unless they've recently completely renovated I wouldn't stay here, just go up for...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank gypsycaravan
Reviewed May 9, 2012

Stayed here on recent self-drive tour of Jordan with my partner. Arrived at night and checked-in quickly. Seemed that the only people staying here were with an Italian tour group. Kept being spoken to in Italian! The room is adequate but the decor is very dated! View from our room was great but there were no chairs on the balcony so not really able to appreciate it for any length of time!! Decided to eat in the hotel and I can recommend the salad buffet for 10 JOD as being good value! However, the breakfast was one of the worst I have had in any hotel, let alone one of this class!!! Such a difference from dinner!! Staff were mixed! Some were indifferent and stand-offish. Others were happy to chat and smiley! This hotel is not 10 minutes from Petra, more like 15-20 but in a way, it's no bad thing being somewhere removed from the hustle and bustle!! Wi-fi was not working for the entirety of our stay but to their credit, the staff did let us use their back office computer!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Room had a bad smell. Bathroom was too small and the bathtub is a joke. Front desk staff not too keen to help when asked for room change. Only one restaurant which serves buffets and service was average. Food was all right. No room service available. Pool and gym area was too cold. No heaters/air conditioning no staff and hardly any equipment. the rating of the hotel should not be 5 star but 3.

Room Tip: There is another move n pick close to the Petra site, book that one instead of this one.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends