All reviewshot waterwadi rumsimple hotelgreat base for exploringfalafelpublic buspacked lunchmin walkrooms are basicdrinking teasingle roomjett busa wonderful stayrooftop terracetaxi rideafter a long daybreakfast and dinner
Reviewed April 2, 2010

With basic rooms and a location that requires a car ride (1 JD for cab or a dropoff from hotel), Petra Gate's 5 star service makes it stand out. From the minute (literally) we stepped in, we were offered coffee/tea and the owner sat us down to give us a tour (looking at a map) of the area and various hikes we could do in Petra. His knowledge of the place and of what we might be interested seeing/doing made us forgo a guide at the site (could be $40+). He gave us our choice of room (all were about the same size and quality). It was a bit chilly at night and the bathroom was in need of some repair but everything worked as it should. Towels were even included (not common in hostels).

He gave us a ride to the entrance each time we went to Petra (once each morning we were there and once in the evening for Petra by Night). We purchased the tickets through him for Petra by Night (we went on a Thurs night - cheesy but HIGHLY recommended). And dinner and breakfast were inexpensive and plentiful (especially for us vegetarians). He even set us up with a cheaper ride back to the border with Eilat (35 JD instead of the exorbitant prices quoted by the cab drivers). The other staff members were also exceedingly helpful during meals and prepping the rooms.

Petra Gate made our experience comfortable in every way and let us explore Petra without feeling like the typical American tourist getting nickel and dimed for everything. Get in touch with the owner before arriving to set up cheaper transportation and or ask any questions. I've already recommended it to friends and wouldn't hesitate revisiting if my travels take me there again.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Major4th
Reviewed March 30, 2010

If you look for a hostel with excellent service, lots of other backpackers to chat with about travelling and a fair price - you have found it. Petra Gate is a hostel in the way I like them - cozy, friendly and for a very fair price. If I will go to Petra again (and history suggests I will) I will not even look at the other hostels :-D

Tom Besler, Prague

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
4  Thank TomBe85
Reviewed March 18, 2010

Hotel - very basic, small rooms, no door on the bathroom, about 15 minute walk to Petra entrance

staff-the best, very helpful, very friendly

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2010

I'm not entirely a "budget" traveler, so it's really nice to find a hotel listed as "budget" that I'm pleased with. Cleanliness can be a big deal to me, and that seems to be the catch when traveling "budget." It was a very little bit an issue here... but our room was spare and tidy, did not smell like smoke, sheets were fresh, and cosy warm blankets were plentiful. Heat came on at 6:30 in the evening, and sleeping was very comfortable.

Nasser and his son were very nice and considerate in every way. Their advice was always good, whether on sights, restaurants, or purchasing prices. Nasser volunteered to drive us down to Petra each morning, which can be a bonus if it's chilly outside. There were no women working at the hotel in the four or five nights we stayed, but Mohammad will fry you up an egg in the morning, make a hot Turkish coffee to jump-start the day, and take care of your laundry for you with a smile.... They promoted a very nice atmosphere in the hotel, and we met a lot of good people there. I came away from my stay here with a lot of pleasant memories. I'd recommend the Petra Gate to other budget travelers with confidence. They were very good to us here!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 4, 2010

Petra gate is a great backpacker hostel. I would highly recommend this as a no frils-great value of money stay. The staff is very helpful and friendly. The hostel is 1.6 km from the entrance to Petra but you can get a ride in the morning. Evening you can ask for a pickup or take a cab back for 1 (JOD). I would stay here again if I go back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo