“Good location guy that runs the place is a really great guy”
Review of Petra Gate Hotel

Petra Gate Hotel
Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

we stayed in the hotel for 2 days on our travels through Jordan, this is a great cheap and cheerful hotel. The rooms are quiet small and the shower was interesting. But the guy who runs the place made up for everything he couldnt do enough for us, he gave us a lift to the site in the morning, the sell lunchboxes for you to take out for the day. He recommended little Petra which is well worth a visit. When we checked out he gave us a lift to the minibus but we missed it by 10 mins he called the driver and got him to stop then drove us to the bus. He wouldn't take any money he did it as he wants his guests to have a positive experience. I would 100% recommend this hotel, there are some really good cafe's within a short walk too.

• Stayed: September 2012
13  Thank MNJDIABATE
There are newer reviews for Petra Gate Hotel

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I just stayed together with my wife in this hotel. I would totally not recommend this place. The rooms were small and old. Hot water was not available, so we had to take a cold shower. Furthermore there was no AC/fan and the window could not be opened so we were soaking wet of our own sweat at the end of the night. If you want to wake up multiple times due to the call of the nearby mosque, this is the place to be. If you want to have a decent rest, please go to another place. The other night we stayed at the valley stars inn hotel which was around 16 dinar more, with more than ten times the quality of this place.

The owner of this place arranged a trip for us, without mentioning additional costs which were considerable. After confronting him with these facts he replied that arranging a trip in his opinion only includes transport. We were told we would be taken to the dead sea and had to pay around 20 euro per person for just dipping into the dead sea.

In conclusion; don't stay at this place!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Hilbert d
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Staff were amazingly helpful, went out of their way to get us cheap taxis and the best contacts for the rest of our trip, and provided an amazing packed lunch for 3.50 JD for us to take into Petra. Breakfast was included and we could have it at anytime - on the morning we left for Petra at 6am, he packed it up for us to take with us as he wouldn't be there to serve it! Very close to restaurants and about a 20 minute walk to the Petra site, or a 1JD taxi ride. Has a fantastic roof terrace overlooking the town and mountains. However the time we were there it was incredibly quiet - I think we may have been the only people staying there so not great if you're looking to socialise. The room itself was clean enough but a little shabby.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
11  Thank Becky211
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Great service and hospitality! Very helfull, friendly and good english speaking staff. Clean and comfortable room with a nice shower. On the rooftop of this hotel you will find the most beautifull view across the valley. 1 minute walk to the shops and restaurants.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
12  Thank reisfreaks
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I stayed only 1 night, and loved this place. It is a typical hostel, but the people and the service were beyond welcoming.
I arrived too late to go see Petra, so I sat in the lobby for a bit checking emails and chatting with the staff. Ammar and Kemo, the 2 staff guys, sat and chatted with me and made me feel like family, right at home! They suggested I go see little Petra since I had a late arrival. The owner even drove me the 15 minute drive to little Petra, dropped me off, and picked me up. He even drove me out of the way a little bit just to show me some amazing views. He is a great man.

I planned a day trip to Petra and then to take a bus to Amman in the evening, but I found out there is a good chance the Jett bus will have no availability in the evening, so the owner even called around to find me a ride to Amman, for about the same price as the bus, much cheaper than a taxi.

I inquired about this guy josef that I read about in the bad review from the solo girl passenger. The staff were so disappointed and told me that he was fired immediately. I can say all the staff are outstanding. We sat outside drinking tea and chatting at night, and they constantly went out of their way to make sure I was not in need of anything.

If you re looking for a budget place to stay, this is it

Amar, Detroit

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
9  Thank Aaamaraa
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is a basic hostel, but it is cheap and thanks to the staff we had a brilliant time there. The owner of the hostel was one of the most friendly and helpful I have come across. He actually drove us down to Petra and arranged to pick us up again in the evening so that we didn't have to get a taxi. He brought us mint tea and coffee as we were sat out on the roof terrace enjoying the (amazing) view. He even sent us off with a load of bottles of water as we left, and we weren't charged for any of this - it was all very genuine. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Yon_80
Reviewed May 24, 2012

Situated a short walk from the main bus station, this hostel is conveniently located within walking distance from the local shops, restaurants and town centre. The rooms though basic provide a comfortable and affordable nights sleep. I was given a single room at the front of the hostel, but was offered a double upstairs at no extra cost (though I was happy with the room I was given). But the shining feature of this hostel has to be the unwavering hospitality of the staff. From the moment I arrived until the sad time when I had to depart, the staff at Petra Gate made my stay very enjoyable. Having unfortunately injured my ankle at the Petra site (wear appropriate footwear!) meant that I was pretty much house bound for the rest of my stay, but doing so at Petra Gate was like staying at home with family. They were more than willing to help me out whether it meant buying me lunch or getting painkillers from the local pharmacy. They truly went above and beyond what I would have expected. Workers Omair and Faheem were enjoyable to spend time and have lengthy conversations with. The manager even offered me a lift to bus station which meant I caught my bus to Amman just in time.
All in all, Petra Gate Hostel is a comfortable, clean yet affordable place to stay to enjoy the wonders of Petra. I would definitely stay here again if I was to visit Petra once more.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo