“Stay at the Guest House hotel instead”

Movenpick Resort Petra
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This is a let-down to the brand and to all the other movenpick hotels we stayed in in Jordan which were much better. My poor rating is much to do with the staff. When we had a problem with our room the male reception staff were unhelpful and reluctant to do anything about it (we were saved by the more junior "hannah" who was an absolute gem telling us that it was our right to have the suitable room we had requested instead of making us feel a nuisance and trying to get it sorted out. Well done Hannah.). The evening buffet is very expensive with inefficient staff who did not even clear plates between courses. etc. Food was not always hot. And to crown it all I got a violent stomach upset 2 hours later, the worst I have ever had (and I have frequently holidayed in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries and also ate in local places in Jordan with no problem whatsoever).And to think we ate here because we wanted a safe option so we did not run the risk of ruining our petra visit the next day. The restaurant is also a real zoo as it is so small for the number of rooms. Breakfast service was no better particularly the "egg station chef" who was really rude. No good morning as you approached, just a look which said "what do you want " acknowledged by a grunt. And one morning I had to go and look for him. Same problem re non-clearing of plates. good breakfast buffet though. All rooms are small. Our first room was over the main road (even though we had requested a quiet room) and the air con was off as "it is no longer summer" - despite the warm temperatures. We also faced south so the room was really hot so we would have had to open the window but that was impossible as cars and coaches drove by right outside - braking as they approached the speed hump. Nightmare. The only quiet rooms are overlooking the pool (which is small but lovely) - but be aware that in this hotel you will get deafened by the call to prayer in the early hours - there seemed to be 3 different calls going on at the same time. The bar is a beautiful atrium with fountain but a gin and tonic cost an astonishing £12 (£9.50 +10%service + 15% tax )- so you had better be rich to enjoy the tranquillity. Porters messed up the pick-up of our group's suitcases on leaving and made the coach leave late- first they forgot to do it, then they went to the wrong rooms but didnt tell anyone that they had not been able to find the cases so we were just sitting in reception expecting them to arrive any second! My advice is to stay at the movenpick just outside town instead or the marriott or the quietly located "Guest house" which is actually a hotel just opposite us but away from and down below the road with views of the valley which leads to petra. Most of our group stayed there and loved it - wish we had. We ate there our second night and found it very agreeable.

Room Tip: the only quiet rooms are over the pool.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank merionvw
TWAISSI, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Petra, responded to this reviewResponded December 21, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to share such an explicit review of your stay with the Moevenpick Resort Petra on TripAdvisor.

We have taken careful note of your comments with regards to the service provided to you during your stay as well as your dissatisfaction from our staff response to your needs.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you and sorry to read that your expectations were not met in several points.

Moreover and as your feedback is an invaluable source to review our performance and fine tune our operation, they have been shared with our team to ensure improvement of the mentioned areas.

We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you should your plans bring you back to Petra, assuring you in advance of our utmost care and attention to your comfort.

Reviewed December 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in this hotel for two nights early September . The location is the best , it is the nearest to the ruins . Rooms are good in size and very good in cleanness . Food is also good in the main Resturant and when ordered in rooms . Staff are helpful . Will come again here

• Stayed: September 2013
TWAISSI, General Manager at Movenpick Resort Petra, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind feedback on Tripadvisor. We are delighted to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotel facilities and services provided provided met your satisfaction.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Mövenpick Resort Petra in the not too distant future and assuring you already in advance of our utmost care and attention to your comfort.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Honestly, the pictures do not do justice to the property. I was apprehensive and trending towards Marriott instead of Movenpick but chose this one for location. Its located right outside the Petra entrance which is a blessing as all you want after a long tiring day at Petra is to relax in your hotel room.
The rooms are well furnished, we got upgraded to the next category of rooms which was a very nice gesture from the hotel. They also agreed for an early check in which was really convenient for us. The bathrooms however do need some serious upgrading. We had some problems with our flush but it was instantly attended too.
Food was good and the service was great. Very friendly staff and efficient. Definitely recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The higher floor rooms are nicer.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

It has been a great pleasure welcoming you to Mövenpick Resort Petra. We thank you for taking your precious time to share your memories on TripAdvisor.

I have read your comments and feel excited to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and that the hotel facilities and services provided were up to your satisfaction and exceeded your expectations.

Moreover, we have taken careful note of your comments in regards to the deficiencies in the bathroom which in return we will share with the departments concerned for future improvements.

We look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you should you visit Petra again.

Reviewed December 9, 2013

The Movenpick was the perfect place to stay so close to the the entrance of the park. The rooms are clean but basic. The best feature is the rooftop restaurant. The food is basically barbecue but incredible and the aroma is heavenly. The views of the the village surrounding you at sundown is beautiful and as the evening cools, staff hands out blankets to keep you warm as you sip your drinks and watch the sun set. The entire time music fills the air. It' absolutely magical.

Another interesting feature is the jewelry store in the lobby. They had many quality pieces.

The staff were very helpful during our stay too.

Room Tip: Get a room on the top floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Condocat

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on tripadvisor. I have read your comments and feel excited to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us.

The team and I are pleased to know that the hotel facilities and service provided were up to your satisfaction and exceeded your expectations.

We pride ourselves on providing "honest, uncomplicated, comfort" to all our guests and are pleased to hear we achieved our goal. The staff will be very proud to see that they were able to make your stay so great when we share your kind comments with them.

We would be delighted to host you should your travel plans bring you again to Petra.

Reviewed December 8, 2013

We had a superb experience at the Movenpick Petra. We arrived on a weekday when the hotel was less busy. We were upgraded from a Junior Suite which we had booked to an Executive Suite. Service was impeccable and personal. Free Wifi is a great add-on. The hotel is not your usual 5 star with sprawling grounds - rather it almost has the feel of a small boutique hotel - which we loved. The lobby decor is beautiful and really fits in well with the overall feel of the city. As others have said it is perfectly located for visiting the Petra site. Overall, this is a little gem of a hotel - we had an amazing time at the Petra Movenpick and hope to be back again soon.

Room Tip: If you are more than 2 adults do yourself a favour and book the Junior Suite!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor.

It goes without saying that I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you were satisfied with the hotel facilities and services provided by our employees.

I sincerely hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future assuring you already in advance of our best care and attention to your comfort.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

We spent two nights there because of location, location, location! The hotel is directly across from the entrance to Petra. Could not be any more convenient to start the walk of this ancient city.
We found the hotel quite lovely and not terribly outdated and spectacular decor. The staff was attentive but I was part of a couple. In fact, I would say they were attentive to the male and not so much me. I benefited from being with him. My suggestion is to be aware of this difference!
We ate our meals in the Buffett restaurant and did order off the menu and found the food and waitstaff service excellent.
Our only Disappointment was that we paid Extra for the Lounge, which had very Limited Hours, only two from 7-9 AND they only had ONE mediocre White Wine and One mediocre Red Wine. Not worth the cost at All. So be aware do not spend any extra $$$ on this so called perk.
Depending on your budget and your expectations do read TripAdvisors reviews.
We did stay at the Movenpick Dead Sea Resort and Spa and this was much closer to a Western Five star and service and staff extremely attentive!

Room Tip: We paid for an upgrade!!!
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

We have taken careful note of your comments in regards to our employee's responsivenss and service, as well as your feedback about our Executive Lounge, for which we apologize for any inconvenience caused.

As your feedback is an invaluable source to review our performance , we will share them with the entire Food & Beverage team for future improvements.

Look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you should your travel plans bring you back to Petra, assuring you already in advance of our utmost care and attention to your comfort.

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I came back from my trip to Jordan in June. During my stay in the Movenpick I had the very bad experience of having people get very drunk and disorderly near the poolside. I am a woman and the people who were drunk were behaving very inappropriately. I told the staff at the pool who told me that the men were just joking around. After the men attempted to throw me in the pool against my will I complained to the staff.
I complained to the manager and then I went to my room. When I saw that the men had been asked to leave much later I returned to the pool, the manager told me that he had wanted to speak to me but couldn't find me.Come on they knew my name it was on the bill are you telling me that the manager cannot find his own guests in his hotel. At this point I was in tears and I was given a plate of fruit. I complained to the general manager as I found it to all be inadequate. I could not believe how many drinks the men were served after we had complained about them, they were not even guests in the hotel.
The manager promised to follow up with me. The follow up was an email of excuses. I replied but received no reply, I then emailed the Head Office in Zurich on the 16th July, I received no reply so I phoned a few weeks later. I was told that the person who dealt with complaints was not in the office and to leave my phone number, this I did but I was not phoned back, I phoned again a week later and was told that my phone number had been lost, I do not know why no-one emailed me. I phone again 10 days later and left my phone number. The complaints manager then eventually phoned me and told me that what happened could have happened anywhere and made excuses, I was made to feel bad for bringing up my complaint.
After the phone call I then received an inadequate email in which they told me I hadn't left my phone number with them so they couldn't contact me. Accusing me of lying, again not saying why no-one could have emailed me. I would not recommend anyone to stay at any Movenpick as if you have a justified complaint you will not be able to speak to anyone and you will be made to feel like a cretin. They did not even offer to reimburse the money I had spent phoning Switzerland, also the woman I spoke to there was extremely unhelpful and impolite. If you expect good service stay away!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends