“The perfect 10th anniversary!”

Movenpick Resort Petra
Ranked #8 of 41 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed November 21, 2011

We recently returned from the trip of a lifetime in Jordan, and the experience was made even more special by the staff of this lovely hotel! This was our "honeymoon", 10 years after getting married, and the evening of our 10th anniversary was spent in Petra. I wanted everything to be perfectly romantic and special - I was not disappointed and, in fact, the warm and enthusiastic staff of the Mövenpick made it into a fairy tale!

Having worked in the travel industry for fifteen years, I've stayed at hundreds of 4 and 5-star hotels around the world. Many of those hotels had incredible surroundings, as in Petra, and beautiful decore/architecture, as in Petra. But this hotel will forever stand out in my mind and in my heart, thanks entirely to the warmth, kindness and professionalism of this amazing staff, most of whom are born and raised in Petra!

We first arrived to Ghazi at the front door, who greeted us with a warm smile and "welcome, welcome!". Ibrahim at the front desk spent at least 30 minutes trying to resolve the minor crisis of a misplaced passport, with great patience and kindness. Once the passport was located, the fun began!

Ziad in the bar charmed us with his Arabic lessons while serving a delicious Jordanian wine, and suddenly reappeared as we were checking out the menu for the a-la-carte restaurant. We were concerned that there wouldn't be time for a fancy dinner and the candlelight walk into Petra. But Ziad talked with Mohammad in the restaurant and all was arranged so that we could very comfortably enjoy the BEST dinner in our lives, and still make it to Petra by Night. After the exquisite 5-star dinner, with Mohammad, Nawaf, the chef and the restaurant manager treating us like royalty, the entire restaurant and kitchen staff came out with a lovely cake and sang the most beautiful "congratulatory" song we've ever heard - in Arabic, of course! I had a difficult time holding back the tears - never in our lives had we felt so well cared for and "VIP" as we did that evening in Petra!

We made it to the Petra by Night tour without any stress (the entrance is 2 minutes' walk from the hotel!), and enjoyed a gorgeous candlelight walk to the Treasury, where we were serenaded with Bedouin music by candlelight under the stars!

We will never ever forget our 10th anniversary, and that is ALL thanks to the delightful staff of the Mövenpick Resort Petra. We have absolutely no hesitation in recommending this spectacular hotel!

Shukran k'teer to each and every one of you ... ma'a salaama!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
rania b, Public Relations Manager at Movenpick Resort Petra, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2011

Dear Mrs. Olsen

Many thanks for posting your comments regarding your recent stay with us at the Moevenpick Resort Petra.

We are very pleased to hear that you have enjoyed your stay at our resort and that you were satisfied with the facilities and services provided and delighted to hear that we exceeded your expectations.

Your encouraging remarks have of course also been shared with the executive team and posted on our employees’ notice board. Comments such as yours are a great motivation to the team!

Thanking you for your patronage and hoping to have the pleasure of welcoming you back anytime soon, I remain,

Best regards.

Rania Bawalsa

Write a ReviewReviews (3,454)

Reviewed November 20, 2011

Can't get any closer to the entrance, seriously. That saved us time and money in terms of getting to the site for the 2 days we were there. It's a pretty property and kept immaculate. It's more 4 stars than 5. We had a good deal on the room, but the food was exhorbitant however good, All the prices in Petra are jacked up high, even restaurants on the street. For the money, eat in the buffet but be warned it was $50 a person for dinner. The food was very good. Breakfast came with the room for us and was outstanding. The rooms were well appointed and spacious. We were there in November, which is cool and so the heat was on. We had trouble making it stop so we opened the window. The hotel is defintitely the best choice in Petra, considering the alternatives we saw around town.

Room Tip: We faced the courtyard but heard no noise from it. I would avoid facing the street since the traffic...
1  Thank Stargatebabe
Reviewed November 20, 2011

We stayed here for 3 nights in October and had a wonderful time. We arrived after a long drive from Amman, and were greeted with cold drinks and an upgrade-who could ask for more! The room was beautiful, with a large balcony overlooking the street and entrance way to Petra. It was the perfect place to people watch! The staff were friendly and helpful and the breakfast was AMAZING! The complimentary soft drinks were very welcome after an exhausting day sight seeing. The only reason I didn't give it 5 stars was because of the rowdiness of some of the other guests-not really the hotel's fault I know. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Petra.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

I had travelled overnight so slept a lot of the long drive from Aqaba to Petra, however as we descended into the town I passed a lot of hotels that I had seen advertised for Petra. My sense of foreboding increased - they all looked rather grotty whereas on the websites they had looked lovely. What if mine would be the same? Luckily upon arrival I was not disappointed.
I have read the other reviews which have said that this does not count as a 5* hotel - with no prior experience of 5* I can't comment; what I can say is that the service here was very good - every need of mine was attended to swiftly and efficiently. The atrium was so peaceful and the checkin process was quick and easy.
The first night I ate in the buffet restaurant, I thought the food was delicious, however as a solo traveller on this trip I felt a little awkward. The second night I had room service while watching a movie on TV and it came quickly and was delicious.
The location is the biggest selling point - at the entrance to Petra park. I had an early breakfast and was in the queue for Petra by 7.30. Top Tip: Take a Camel-bak bag or similar into the park for regular sipping! There is a LOT of walking involved and you will need your water. I lasted in the park until 12.30 before the heat and sweat became too much for me. There was lots that I didn't see however I had had my fill. Back to the hotel, half an hour snooze in the room, before sitting by the pool for the rest of the afternoon with a good book. Perfect.
I do not normally travel to expensive hotels, this was a luxury for me. However, getting to Petra is expensive enough - if you are already paying that much to get there, spend the extra bit on the hotel too, it's worth it - lovely hotel, awesome location, and looks a lot nicer than some of the other alternatives did. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
4  Thank stueey
Reviewed November 17, 2011

Great hotel in all aspects: food (I've tried two of their restaurants and they were superb, especially during breakfest), security (that's an essential issue to considerate in Jordan), cleaning, localization (the entrance to Petra is just across the street). One exception is about service. The front desk attendants are really snob and extremely not sympathetic. I have booked a car service to pick me up in Allenby Bridge which worked well, but I had a terrible experience with the driver who took me to the Ferry in Aqaba: he wanted more money to go from the ticket boot to the harbour (I've paid in advance for the whole trip) and started to swore me and my family when I said that was already paid and I didn't owe him anything.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Despegar
1  Thank ThyagoMathias
Reviewed November 11, 2011

This hotel's main selling point is its location very close to the entrance to Petra.

Locally it is rated as 5 star, but it's more like a 4 star. The corridor to our room was so dark when we returned from Petra that we had to ask for the lights to be turned on. We had a Junior Suite (M11) on the Mezzanine Floor. It was clean, but fairly basically furnished (especially for a Junior Suite) and the bed and pillows were very hard. The bathroom was tiny and even more basic (with no separate shower cubicle). On the second night of our 3 night stay, we had problems sleeping due to incessant noise from machinery somewhere close by inside the hotel. When I asked to be moved, we were upgraded to a much nicer Executive Suite (122 on the First Floor) with an excellent bathroom, separate sitting room and covered terrace, but even this had some noise at times from the kitchen below. A nice touch was the provision of free soft drinks in the minibar, restocked daily.

The buffet breakfast in the main restaurant (which serves a buffet dinner in the evening) was fairly extensive, but not five star quality - no fresh juice, for example. It was also extremely busy and noisy, as were the public areas generally - too many large groups in coaches.

The hotel has a good choice of restaurants for dinner. The first evening, we dined at Al Iwan, their "gourmet" restaurant. The food was tasty and attempts had been made to present it well, but it was not gourmet and my main course (lamb cutlets) was smothered in a very heavy dark brown gravy. The service in that restaurant was shambolic - we were initially brought someone else's starters. When they eventually got our order right, they brought our starters twice! Other tables suffered similar confusion. To top it all, it's extremely expensive for what it is.

The second and third nights we had a snack in the bar, as we had already eaten a large buffet lunch at the Crowne Plaza Basin Restaurant inside Petra (the best eaterie inside the site). Food and service in the bar were very good and it was much better value.

Apart from the Al Iwan restaurant, service was very good and very helpful everywhere in the hotel.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the mezzanine or first floor or with no exterior view - some rooms (and even some jun...
1  Thank KentManKent
Reviewed November 11, 2011

You can not get any closer to the entrance of "Petra". The hotel was very nice, good service. We would definitely return and recommend this hotel. The only be-mol, was the food was not that great - not bad, but not fantastic.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with family