“amra palace may 2013”
Review of Amra Palace Hotel

Amra Palace Hotel
Ranked #15 of 40 Hotels in Petra - Wadi Musa
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Amra Palace is an economical choice for accommodation in wadi musa. The staff is excellent regarding many services including providing access to internet and assistance on questions regarding travel to petra. Importantly, feedback from staff on hotel performance is solicited in a very personal and genuine manner. Meals are of a high standard, we had several evening buffet dinners which were exceptional. Drinks and relaxation on the upper terrace is a very welcome experience after a day in Petra. All points considered, this is a very good hotel.

1  Thank james_m154943
AmraPalace, General Manager at Amra Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 24, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Your excellent review on TripAdvisor is greatly appreciated.
We have passed on your complements to the chefs about enjoying the food that was on offer for the buffet dinners. It's great that you were able to make use of our garden terrace and enjoy a drink whilst relaxing and watching the sunset.
We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your time in Jordan as much as you did at Petra and our hotel.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We two brothers stayed for four nights in two adjacent double-bed rooms, single occupancy. The hotel was fantastic, warmly welcoming without being over-fussy, great food, very pleasant setting, especially meals and drinks on terrace, view from rooms, and convenience for Petra. We loved it.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for your great review.
There is nothing we like hearing more than how much a guest enjoyed their stay at our hotel. it great that you enjoyed all aspects of your stay.
We look forward to welcoming you, your friends and family to stay with us in the future.
Kind Regards

Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed at the Amra Palace hotel in April 2013 on our tour through Jordan. We had high expectations based on all of the positives TA reviews, but were disappointed. Our stay got off to a strange start - after I gave my passport to the man checking us in, he told me that he did not see the reservation and asked me if I made the reservation on the internet. I pulled the confirmation out of my bag and when I looked up, he was smiling and had the paper with the reservation details in front of me to sign. My wife said that he winked at her when I was looking for the reservation print out. Call me strange, but I don't think it is particularly funny to joke about a missing reservation. The sarcasm more or less continued during our stay, so we just tried to avoid him. When we checked out, of course, he joked about the bill - telling me that the bill was 600 JD (when it was about 1/3rd of that). We just ignored his comment and he handed us the correct bill.

We had a few other problems with our stay. Our room was musty. In defense of the hotel, we did not report this. We thought it might get better if we aired it out (it did not). And we just did not want to deal with the same man at reception. Also, the seat cover on the toilet was not attached to the toilet. We managed to get it attached. When we got back to the room on our second day, the cover had been removed again and was placed outside of our bathroom. We thought that maybe someone was going to come up and replace or repair it. They did not. The other issue was wi-fi availability. The hotel is marketed as having "wifi available in all areas". When we checked in, the man at reception told us that it might not work from the room, but that we could use the wi-fi in the lobby. From my room, I saw about 6 networks -- none of which looked like Amra Palace networks. I called reception to ask the network name for the wi-fi connection. I was told that I would not be able to connect from my room, and the it was not an issue with the hotel, but for "all of Jordan". Not true... since I had wi-fi connectivity from my room at 5 other hotels in Jordan. Their wireless routers (which must have a pretty small range) are positioned in the center of each floor. Our room at the end of the hall was out of range.

After we had checked out, the same man at reception handed me a form to review the hotel. I asked him where I should put it when I was finished. He told me to fill it out and hand it to him. The rating options for the various areas (food, reception, room, etc) were 1-4. I gave mostly 2 ratings - which was "fair" on their form. I handed it to him. He was on the phone and told me to wait. When he got off the phone, he asked me why I gave so many "fair" (instead of good or excellent) ratings. He had another man - presumably his manager - speak to us. I did not mention the constant sarcasm from the man at reception, but I did mention the musty room, the broken toilet seat and that we had been expecting wi-fi access from the rooms. I guess they did not believe me -- they seemed quite angry.

All of that said, without the sarcasm, wi-fi disappointment & musty room, Amra Palace seems like it could be a pleasant place to stay. We had a car - it was very easy to park & very easy to get to Petra. Amra is much less expensive than the hotels right next to Petra. The terrace area is also nice.

Room Tip: Stay closer to elevator & stairs if you want reliable wi-fi. The routers are located there. We...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DanS_in_SF

Dear Valued Guest,
We are sorry that your stay at our hotel did not meet your expectations. The reception staff member did not mean to offend you and wasn't being sarcastic, but instead was just joking around which he does with all guests. We are sorry that this did not sit well with you. In regards to the other issues that you had with your room we have spoken to our housekeeping staff in order to improve the process of when issues are detected in rooms.
Thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stayed here for two nights, 55JOD each night, double room, wifi and breakfast included.

Rooms were OK, bit old, the hotel is a bit run down, but overall clean. Some basic toiletries were provided.

It is located in downtown Wadi Musa, quite big compared to the other hotels nearby. It is near food, supermarket, money exchange and stuff like that. There is a shuttle bus that goes to Petra too. The sunset at the terrace is quite pretty.

Check-in was quick with a lot of useful information and the staff was very nice. He showed us where to get food at local restaurants at 12 midnight.

Breakfast was good with a lot of choices.

However, the extra services that they provided are generally not that great, according to my experience and other reviews.

We got a lunch box for the day in Petra for around 5 JOD, but the lunch box wasn't very nice. There was cheese sandwich and ham sandwich, but it was basically just one piece of cheese in a bun and a piece of ham in another bun.

The turkish bath was 13 JOD per person, though it is quite convenient to have it done in the hotel, it is rather quick and is not done very properly.

1  Thank tung0227

Dear Valued Guest,
We thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay at our hotel. Receiving feedback from guests allows us to continue to improve our services that we offer in order to be able to meet all guests expectations. We are sorry that you did not find the lunchboxes satisfactory and we have spoken to our chefs about ways in which we can improve them. It is great that you did enjoy such things as the breakfast offering and the friendly nature of our staff.
It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to stay with us again.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We only stayed for one night. We could have stayed for many more! The view from our room was great and so was the pool and the garden. We had an excellent dinner on the terrace abd before that a drink before sunset. What more can you ask?

2  Thank Bent D

Dear Valued Guest.
Your review on TripAdvisor is very much appreciated.
It's great that you were able to relax and enjoy a drink watching the sunset over the Petra Mountains from our terrace.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope that you enjoyed the rest of your holiday in Jordan.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Really enjoyed staying at Amra Palace Hotel! Would recommend it to everyone.

Staff friendly, room clean, nice indoor pool with small terrace, breakfast was excellent and location just as good. 2 minutes to Petra where you have access to all local shops etc, and a free shuttle to the Petra site.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TBosqui

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor.
We enjoy hearing that you enjoyed the facilities and services such as the indoor pool, outdoor terrace, shuttle bus and the breakfast. Thank you for your recommendation to others and we look forward to welcoming your friends and family to Amra Palace in the future.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

A great find. After a couple of nights semi "roughing" it I was delighted to find what luxury could be had for £44. A gem of a hotel, very comfortable bed and furnishings, crisp white sheets, friendly staff, even a not to be missed special offer for their very good hammam.
Travellers need to be aware that there are two ways to do accommodation for
Petra: to stay near the entrance to the city or higher up in the town of Wadi Musa, where there is a centre in its own right, bus station etc. There's no right or wrong here, it's personal preference. Amra Palace is in Wadi Musa, but runs hourly free shuttles to and from the entrance at the appropriate times of day.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
AmraPalace, General Manager at Amra Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you for writing such a great review about your stay.
There is nothing we like hearing more than from a satisfied guest and knowing that your stay at our hotel contributed to you having a fantastic holiday in Jordan. It's great that you were able to take advantage of our special offer for the Hamman.
Please come and stay with again in the future.